181 (edited by HellRot 2014-05-03 12:42:02)

Re: Joe's Skinner Prototype and Magnatone Amp

Just brought my 104 home. Plugged her into Marshall JMP...then into JTM... Oh, yeah!!!! ...and she is a true Beauty, too! Gibson done a great job in procuring the tops. Even for VOS. Very happy!

RoadcaseBoy wrote:

... and #47, #48 and #49 at Sweetwater

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery … view=angle

Wow  it's amazing all of these ones aged have so much flame to them.....!!!

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

183 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2014-05-03 16:15:45)

airportdon wrote:
RoadcaseBoy wrote:

... and #47, #48 and #49 at Sweetwater

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery … view=angle

Wow  it's amazing all of these ones aged have so much flame to them.....!!!

True. See some varation in weight .... expected. I thought #48 @ 8.2 may have gone first ... but see #47 spoke to someone ... and SW added #12 ... another beaut. SW must have some pull. smile

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

Wow, $7k, 10k and 12k....too rich for my blood but those if you that can afford one I hope you guys enjoy them and play the hell out of 'em.

Gibson Collectors Choice #6
Joe Bonamassa Custom Shop Goldtop Unaged 1st run
Alvarez Acoustic '95
Gibson Skylark GA5-T '65, Marshall JTM45 Reissue, Fender Princton Reverb '72, Modded Bugera V5, Fender Bandmaster '68, Marshall Silver Jubilee 2558

HellRot wrote:

Just brought my 104 home. Plugged her into Marshall JMP...then into JTM... Oh, yeah!!!! ...and she is a true Beauty, too! Gibson done a great job in procuring the tops. Even for VOS. Very happy!

Congrats on the newbie.....:)

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

I have a sinking feeling in my gut....

I'd like to know if these are actually Murphy aged and do they come with the proper documentation proving such? I see one store saying these are aged in house by Gibson, while the official release and most other stores state they're Murphy aged.

Ron when you get yours tomorrow please chime in on this.

Pretty sure it's Tom Murphy. You can actually see his initial 'TM' in the checking.

Not sure if you can spot it but it's there. Very similar with the Duane Allman Sig.

You can see it here
sweetwater.com/images/guitars/LPR9JBASSKBNH/49/49-detail2-large.jpg

I did notice that the ageing is not as extensive as the prototype, Tom may have missed out a few details :-\

Spider wrote:

I have a sinking feeling in my gut....

I'd like to know if these are actually Murphy aged and do they come with the proper documentation proving such? I see one store saying these are aged in house by Gibson, while the official release and most other stores state they're Murphy aged.

Ron when you get yours tomorrow please chime in on this.

They are Murphy aged, and he does alot of the work inside the plant. Which store did you see this at?

Also, the initials are there as someone else posted.

TM in the checking is fairly well known. Anyone with a razor blade can do it. Initials in the pickup cavity doesn't count either. Neither are considered proper provenance.

"treated to Gibson Custom’s aging process"
http://www.rainbowguitars.com/guitar/gi … sskbnh1/gb

From the Gibson website:

"Of 150 guitars hand-aged by unparalleled ageing artist Tom Murphy, 50 will be played and signed by Joe himself; a further 150 will be treated to Gibson Custom’s VOS process, making a Limited Edition of 300 guitars in total."

www.raysguitarstraps.com
'12 Teye La India Mora 2P, '10 Teye La India S 2P, '64 Fiesta Red Strat, '14 Les Paul CC#18, '14 Les Paul R0ltd, '13 Les Paul R7, '12 Les Paul CC#3, '07 Les Paul CR8 x2, '04 Les Paul R9, '65 Super Reverb, '93 Koch KC50dlx, JB Fuzzface #775

oldgtarz wrote:

From the Gibson website:

"Of 150 guitars hand-aged by unparalleled ageing artist Tom Murphy, 50 will be played and signed by Joe himself; a further 150 will be treated to Gibson Custom’s VOS process, making a Limited Edition of 300 guitars in total."

Correct. Thats what Gibson has said. I just want to be sure (and I sure hope there is) there is a certificate from Tom Murphy that accompanies the guitar.

192 (edited by jbyrd1 2014-05-05 13:11:09)

Spider wrote:

TM in the checking is fairly well known. Anyone with a razor blade can do it. Initials in the pickup cavity doesn't count either. Neither are considered proper provenance.

Gibson's web page states Murphy aged. I don't know that the C.O.A. will state it, but I guess if one were to subscribe to conspiracy theories, even if THAT said it, you still wouldn't REALLY know. Just as anyone with a razor blade can carve a TM, or put initials with marker in the pickup cavity, anyone with a computer and a printer can make a C.O.A. that says "aged by Tom Murphy" too, right?

The Rainbow link also doesn't state anything about the 100 aged either. It's just the stores link, so I wouldn't read too much into that, as it doesn't look like they worked real hard on it.

These are definitely Murphy aged, and my source on that is as reliable as the one that has filled me in all along on the details of this run. I believe it was April of 2013 that I posted this run was coming....

Yep. Someone posted this in response to my thread on the MLP:

https://forum.jbonamassa.com/viewtopic.php?id=24404

My MLP thread (in which Ed King's is mentioned as well):

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/histori … kings.html

jbyrd1 wrote:
Spider wrote:

Gibson's web page states Murphy aged. I don't know that the C.O.A. will state it, but I guess if one were to subscribe to conspiracy theories, even if THAT said it, you still wouldn't REALLY know. Just as anyone with a razor blade can carve a TM, or put initials with marker in the pickup cavity, anyone with a computer and a printer can make a C.O.A. that says "aged by Tom Murphy" too, right?

The Rainbow link also doesn't state anything about the 100 aged either. It's just the stores link, so I wouldn't read too much into that, as it doesn't look like they worked real hard on it.

These are definitely Murphy aged, and my source on that is as reliable as the one that has filled me in all along on the details of this run. I believe it was April of 2013 that I posted this run was coming....

Yep. Someone posted this in response to my thread on the MLP:

https://forum.jbonamassa.com/viewtopic.php?id=24404

My MLP thread (in which Ed King's is mentioned as well):

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/histori … kings.html

Show me the Car Fax! lol

The Murphy thing is close to the Brazilian thing. Same philosophy. You either have provenance, or you don't, end of story. Are there Braz boards on some Rossington's? I have seen a few that look pretty undeniable, BUT, Gibson won't confirm, so therefore, in the eyes of someone buying or selling, it is not.

With guitars, unless they fall within the specified serial numbers that Gibson will confirm, or you have a cert or letter signed by Tom, game over for any upcharge by the seller. Initials in the pickup pocket don't count, as anyone could do that. If they are charging you one dime more for the guitar because they claim it's a Murphy, you should pass. I don't care how reputable the store is.

Spider wrote:

The Murphy thing is close to the Brazilian thing. Same philosophy. You either have provenance, or you don't, end of story. Are there Braz boards on some Rossington's? I have seen a few that look pretty undeniable, BUT, Gibson won't confirm, so therefore, in the eyes of someone buying or selling, it is not.

With guitars, unless they fall within the specified serial numbers that Gibson will confirm, or you have a cert or letter signed by Tom, game over for any upcharge by the seller. Initials in the pickup pocket don't count, as anyone could do that. If they are charging you one dime more for the guitar because they claim it's a Murphy, you should pass. I don't care how reputable the store is.

I hear you, and the Braz board thing is absolutely 100% true. However, it's a little different with these guitars. I know the Bloomfield was Murphy aged, and the cert didn't specify that, however, if you call Gibson customer service, they will. The same can't be said about a Braz board.

Now if it were the other way around, and the STORE was claiming it was Murphy aged, and Gibson wasn't or wouldn't verify it, then what you are saying would hold true. In this case though, you have the Gibson making the claim in it's literature, so even without a little inside info, this would good enough for me even for re-sale purposes, as long as you had the PDF from Gibson stating it.

jbyrd1 wrote:
Spider wrote:

I hear you, and the Braz board thing is absolutely 100% true. However, it's a little different with these guitars. I know the Bloomfield was Murphy aged, and the cert didn't specify that, however, if you call Gibson customer service, they will. The same can't be said about a Braz board.

Now if it were the other way around, and the STORE was claiming it was Murphy aged, and Gibson wasn't or wouldn't verify it, then what you are saying would hold true. In this case though, you have the Gibson making the claim in it's literature, so even without a little inside info, this would good enough for me even for re-sale purposes, as long as you had the PDF from Gibson stating it.

You just contradicted yourself. Those were your words, not mine.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/6052632-post17.html

My aged/signed will be in tomorrow I will let you know
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Spider wrote:
jbyrd1 wrote:
Spider wrote:

You just contradicted yourself. Those were your words, not mine.
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/6052632-post17.html

No, I didn't. Re-read the post. Did you miss this part? "With guitars, unless they fall within the specified serial numbers that Gibson will confirm..". Key words being THAT GIBSON WILL CONFIRM. Pretty safe to say, if Gibson is advertising it as Murphy aged everywhere you look, then that is provenance. Here is the link to the GIBSON website on the guitar. Anywhere you look, anything that is put out by Gibson says that it's Murphy aged. If you are hell bent on thinking it is some big conspiracy because one store's web ad says something other than Murphy aged, then, it is what it is. Here is the link, big and bold:http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Joe-Bonamassa-Skinnerburst-1959-Les-Paul.aspx