Topic: Rockbridge guitars

This forum seems a really great place to talk about guitars,amps and gears, so i'd like to know what you think of Rockbridge guitars.

I've come to know them only thanks to Dave Matthews, and last year i ordered an SJ (Small Jumbo) Cocobolo/Adi top, in the same "Dave Burst" finish.
Really great guitar, both for fingerpicking and strumming, it sings like an angel, an angel with a big and powerful voice!

A very balanced tone, a piano like voice, at the same time "modern" but also very classic. Has surely much basses presence than my Taylor 914ce, but like the Taylor has great clarity and definition.

I've another guitar in the making, a 000-12 fret in their basic configuration mahogany/cedar, but i will have to wait other 7-8 months to have it, so i'd like to know from who has tried one or bought one, what models and wood combinations you have chosen, and how these wood/shape options affected your tone or playing style.

I will use your opinions and suggestions for the project of a third one in the next future!...but feel free to suggest other makers if you have already played a Rockbridge but you think to have found something better than them.

Fender John Mayer, Clapton CS, Ash Tele Am. Deluxe; Gibson Les Paul std. 2005, Es-335 Bonamassa (JB328), Warren Haynes; PRS Tremonti 10 Top; Asher Ben Harper Sig. / Martin D41; Taylor 914CE; Takamine TNV460SC; Rockbridge SJ & 000-12/ Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature V3; Marshall TSL100; Fender Twin Reverb '65; Orange Tiny Terror, Blackstar Artisan 15 Combo.

Re: Rockbridge guitars

Base Price is $4,100 ... GULP!
I would love to play one just to see if the value is there. They look nice.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Re: Rockbridge guitars

You should give them a call then! They are always travelling the USA to promote their guitars. And they are great guys too. Since Dave Matthews has replaced his Taylor 914ce with an incredible number of these Rockbridge ( i think right now he has more than ten), they are having great notoriety. Other great artists have ordered custom models from them like Mraz, Sambora, Dave Stewart.
Ray Lamontagne and Ben Harper have used their guitars to record some of their latest works.

Dave Matthews Band's "Away From The World" album has been recorded almost entirely with Rockbridge guitars.

As for the value, if one uses "reason", probably no piece of wood can cost $4000 and more, but everybody knows that when it come to guitars we stop using reason...
...all i can say is that my custom made SJ Cocobolo/Adirondack cost me a third of what Martin charged for the last John Mayer model in the same wood combination. Ok it's a Martin, ok it's a limited edition and a signature model, but that value is there???

I just want to know if, among so many guitar lovers here in the forum, is there someone that has played them and can give an honest advice or suggestion about these guitars.
I'm from Italy, i can't test them, there's no dealer, so i'd really appreciate the suggestions or opinions of someone that have actually played them.

And seeing that you all are great and good guys, you should give up anything you are doing right now and go test-play some Rockbridge, so that everybody can give me a good advice!!! smile

Thanks!!! smile

Fender John Mayer, Clapton CS, Ash Tele Am. Deluxe; Gibson Les Paul std. 2005, Es-335 Bonamassa (JB328), Warren Haynes; PRS Tremonti 10 Top; Asher Ben Harper Sig. / Martin D41; Taylor 914CE; Takamine TNV460SC; Rockbridge SJ & 000-12/ Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature V3; Marshall TSL100; Fender Twin Reverb '65; Orange Tiny Terror, Blackstar Artisan 15 Combo.