Re: Are Epiphone LP's Worth It For Beginners ?

I personally own an LP Pro Custom and have loved it since I bought it. Epiphone is certainly stepping up their quality, over the years they have been able to produce very solid guitars. More recently they have been pushing to set themselves apart from Gibson, not from an ownership sense but from a pure quality sense and it has been working very well in their favor. There are actually quite a few musicians that now have their own pro model Epiphone's, so that alone says something about their quality.

The LP's are a solid, durable guitar. If you want to put some extra money into it, their Custom models add the ProBucker pickups which model Gibson's BurstBuckers. Their body is a solid mahogany body with a maple veneer top that adds a nice little grit to the classic tone. Its got a smooth action and quite a fast neck. They are a great looking guitar as well, I love the black body with the gold hardware! I think they are definitely worth looking into.

20 (edited by PoppaPlayedAGibson 2014-02-04 23:41:03)

Thanks Street Team Eric,

I am still deciding on which way to go but at the moment I am pretty set on either an older Peavey T-60 or T-27 , Ibanez ,Westone , Paul Reed Smith SE, Epiphone LP & Gibsons. Those are the brands I am looking at mainly and there are a few others I am looking at including some of the 80's models Harmony's, Yamaha's & Martins.

I really like the Paul Reed Smith's and The 80's Peavey T series as well as the Epiphone LP's. The Peavey T series built in the 80's sound great and they are hard to beat in quality for the budget minded guitarist. The PRS look great and are built really good but I still need to check into how they sound. I have heard that the Epiphone LP's built in Korea are really good and you can get em' cheap. There supposed to be way better than the China built ones. 

But like you say , Epiphone is working on higher quality now so the way I figure it is if I where to get one I would probably want to go new. I do like the looks of em'. and have seen some YouTube vids of em' being played and I don't really hear much of a difference between them and higher priced guitars.

I think I can be happy enough with one of the models I am looking at and I won't have to spend a lot to get a good playable axe. Maybe later I will consider a higher priced guitar but one of the ones I mention will work for the time being.

Still working on a decision and probably will be for a while yet, but I did buy a copy of Roicksmith 2014 so when I do get my guitar I can plug it in to my PC and start having some fun. And I will be looking into getting a decent Marshal Amp when the time comes. big_smile

Thanks

I have 3 Epi's including the Joe Bonamassa Goldtop. 339 and Wilshire...very good guitars and the build quality was also very good.  My JB came with the Gibson Burstbuckers and a HSC.

I'd look at a Epi LP Tribute model with the true Gibson 57' pickups...These are nice upgrades to the LP...my Gibson Traditional has the 57' pickups and I love them...get the same pickups in an Epi for less than 1/3 the price...later.

cowboy123

22 (edited by doodler 2014-03-12 13:33:00)

I have been playing Epiphones since 1965.  My first electric was a Gibson ES 150, bought in 61, never played. No whammy so  you'd depress the trap with elbow. Nut bends were effective , too; bone !!. Also had a J45 that I was happy to send to a new home after a master mechanic looked at me sadly and said he'd recommend putting that pup down. Gibson was not very sympathetic. Returned to factory at my cost. Came back with same neck twisty warp problem. They'd removed the fret board, did a sloppy re-glue, and on return also had a split in the top which Gibson swore was there on receipt and there was no work order to repair that. ???Traded , gave away,  for a cadillac, big hole in the wallet, level Martin. Keeping strings intact for a whole gig was a problem and I never got a feel for the neck. Not to dump on Martin, at all. I played a small body 50's Martin that belonged to Hank Snow for a while. He gave it to my aunt. That was a very sweet guitar. Booming projection. But the neck also felt a bit thick for my taste, and the contour awkward. If I was looking to buy a guitar and questioning the quality of Epiphones I'd check what working musicians are using, touring and studio, well knowners. Some of the very best are playing out of the box Epiphones. Say without reserve that Epi's are their go to guitars. PRS has really dropped from the pinnacle among those players. Want a PRS, buy used, ghosts worked out, bargain basement prices.  Never owned one. Only know what the players say in the trade papers. Slash says if your ego requires Gibson across the headstock , then that's the only good reason you don't want to buy an Epiphone. There is always some garbage that sneaks past customer control across all brands. Craftsmen were building mind boggling musical instruments across Asia, including China, 5000 years ago when our ancestors were still scratching on a piece of slate with a stone. They always said don't buy a Monday or Friday North American built car. My buddy plays an old 2nd's Gibson 335; stamped so on back of headstock.  He  bought it new in a generic shop. A bit of electronics jimmying and it  was as good as the best ever made. He's a killer guitarist. In my stable I also have a 66 solid body Hagstrom Mark 11. It sounds as good unplugged as any premium acoustic; no projection of course, but sweet beyond description. Unplugged and mic'd it's crazy. A freak of wood for sure. There are real players who can afford the ,"best", and have them for show, who are using Epiphone Les Paul Special 11's in the studio, and swear they're the best value out there. They just walked in a store and picked up the box. No customizing. There's no way around it, it's the guy behind the guitar, not what's on the headstock, that makes the guitar. The myth that it's the gear, beyond a certain sanity point, only serves to keep an insane industry lubricated. Buy a guitar and spend your time and money learning how to play, if that's your passion.

it is a strange but understandable perception that Epiphone are an inferior brand, and Gibson themselves are probably responsible,  - they (Epiphone) certainly were once very desirable in the days of The Beatles. I recall reading reading a comment on a Gary Clark Jr YouTube clip about him not being able to afford a Gibson, and guessed that it was made a kid who did not know the heritage.

Certainly Epiphone are great guitars for starting out on, - IMO Gibson’s are very expensive for what you get, - and the cheap Gibson’s are just so poor in terms of finish or quality in comparison to a PRS SE . It almost appears that Gibson are trying to cling on to days gone by by protecting their USA made brand at a potentially dangerous cost to the company, - I understand why they would do this in the same way  that Harley Davidson do it, but there does come a time when a brand name’s value will top out, and I think a USA LP Standard at £1500 is about at the very top of its price ticket limit.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

24 (edited by wvgirlinky 2014-03-12 14:54:43)

Poppa,  I am interested to hear what you finally decide.  I have been putting back money to buy a beginner guitar.   Erin (Erdrago)  has a convinced me it is never too late to learn.  I was lucky enough to see her guitar at a Joe Concert.  Really nice one.

Watching Joe and reading the posts here  and learning about all the gear  have given me a desire to learn.      Do you already know how to play or are you doing lessons?   Just curious.  Peace

Mary

the Beatles played Epi... it was good enough for their masterpieces.. Why should it not be sufficient for you?

Epi's are great Guitars for the price, but be careful - always make sure you play the one you buy before you buy it. I've had three Epiphone's now. The best made Guitar was an older Korean made model which was superb in every aspect. The worst - a 2012 Custom made in China. The quality control was very poor and it was returned to GAK because of that. Needless to say, i didn't buy a replacement Epiphone. For beginners though they are ideal.

I have a 2008 Gibson Studio. It's far and away my favourite Guitar right now. Everything is right about it. Ooozes quality and has a sound to die for. Even preferred these days over my all time Guitar love - a 1993 USA Fender Strat which i never thought would be pushed down into second place. Better than the high end Epiphones? I think so, but then even the Studio wasn't a cheap Guitar.

Also agree with the comments about PRS. Even their 'budget' models from Korea are very well made and nothing bad gets out. Quality control is perfect...which can't be said for Epiphone these days sadly.