1 (edited by KingRhinoNJ 2013-12-08 18:37:40)

Topic: Joe B: No Soul & Wankery?

I recently tried to initiate some Joe B discussion on another band board known for their guitarist/vocalist and was immediately berated with comments such as Joe has "no soul" and "plays too many notes".

Now, I know I am a middle aged Caucasian guy living in the suburbs but ... C'MON!!!!

I find Senor Bonamassa to be INCREDIBLY soulful, personable and sincere.

And, I find his guitar playing  to be pristine, succinct, rich and melodious.

So.   Just snarky 20something hipster doofuses?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Re: Joe B: No Soul & Wankery?

I agree 100% Joe is the most soulful guitarist I've ever heard, the emotion in every note (especially on the slow numbers like midnight blues) is palpable. I would rank his vibrato up there with B.B. King and Paul Kossoff. As for the "too many notes" thing, there are some people who disregard musicians with exceptional technical ability. One of my friends is like that, he only likes simple stuff like The Rolling Stones, not that there is anything wrong with that, but any time I try to show him any thing fast or complex, he just pays no attention to it and disregards it as noise. Example, this same friend said he wanted to watch Tour De Force with me when it came out, and while watching it, he sat their on his phone texting, disinterested in the shows. To people like that, technical proficiency and complexity of any kind is not their cup of tea, and they will bash it any chance they get.

3 (edited by Rockfarmer 2013-12-08 19:50:46)

Must have been on TGP.  Those guys are jealeous of Joe's sucess and berate him at every opportunity

There are guitarist out there that are technically proficient and fast and are difficult to listen to.  Joe is not one of them.  The passion he plays with is nothing short of "soulful".  Albert Collins told Gary Moore to keep the "fire" but concentrate on every note, to be the perfect note every time, with feeling.  As much as I love Jeff Beck and Joe Satrioni, there are songs that I just have to delete.  Technically they may be phenomenal, but they lack "soul".

The only thing we deserve, is an opportunity.  Everything else has to be earned.

..... Actually, it was the PHISH board LOL ... Poor Trey .......

Well...there's your answer right there...lol...

KingRhinoNJ wrote:

..... Actually, it was the PHISH board LOL ... Poor Trey .......

Murfdog

...they're probably just jealous and wish they could rattle off a few rounds on his Uzi 59mm... pff! ...nothing to worry about here!

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Who or what is a "PHISH"?

9 (edited by samjp4 2013-12-08 22:45:59)

I believe Trey actually was on stage with Joe back quite a few years ago in Burlington, VT.  Someone with a better memory than me will know the date.

Sandy

Found it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVz7tA-WY4I

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

10 (edited by hulldanfan 2013-12-09 09:34:03)

One Mans soul is another man's wankery.

It's all subjective so it's pointless arguing. 

No-one is going to convince 99% of posters on this forum that JB is any less an emotive player than anybody else. 

Playing slowly and pulling a face does not necessarily mean that it is emotive playing and equally so, you can be playing at 10 nps and be very emotive.

A previous poster mentions Jeff Beck, and I find it almost unbelievable that anyone cannot see that he is just about the most expressive player that's picked up the electric guitar.  He's not my favourite player at all, but he just produces a range of sounds that nobody else can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25q8nWZQGaQ

I have never got the feeling that Joe played fast for fast sake.Even more now than his earlydays I feel he has soul.Sometimes I have a taste for some "wankering",And Joes not the one I go for then.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

gary wrote:

I have never got the feeling that Joe played fast for fast sake.Even more now than his earlydays I feel he has soul.Sometimes I have a taste for some "wankering",And Joes not the one I go for then.

agreed 100%, Listening to Joe as much as I do, I have never gotten the impression he was playing fast for the sake of playing fast. There are some players where this is very apparent in their music, I am not going to drop any names in order to avoid insulting peoples music tastes. However, Joe's approach is always very musical, and the results are always spectacular.

13 (edited by KingRhinoNJ 2013-12-09 18:42:05)

I agree, totally.

I have to say at least once, while watching the TOUR DE FORCE shows discs, I find myself looking up and being blown away by what I'm hearing.

He needs to do 4 nights in NYC like he did in London.

Could call it .... TOUR DE FORGET-ABOUT-IT

Wankery?  Haha!

Even in Joe's more extended jamming days the wankery was pretty minimal.

I do love a good wank though ...

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

samjp4 wrote:

I believe Trey actually was on stage with Joe back quite a few years ago in Burlington, VT.  Someone with a better memory than me will know the date.

Sandy

Found it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVz7tA-WY4I

He he  he ... I just posted the link on the Phish Board .....

Heads will be EXPLODING! LOL

Link to the Phish Board thread

http://phantasytour.com/bands/1/topics/3620090/posts

KingRhinoNJ wrote:

Wow, speaking of wankery, what a bunch of pretentious, know it all DB's.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Bill S wrote:
KingRhinoNJ wrote:

Wow, speaking of wankery, what a bunch of pretentious, know it all DB's.

And, they consider themselves to be "music geniuses".