Topic: Stevie Nimmo

Newcastle; Cluny 2/8/13

Lot of good gigs in the region that Friday night, including Andy Frazer appearing that the Free Convention in Tynemouth; however, I decided to catch Stevie Nimmo in solo form.

First off, this was an “unplugged” - Stevie acoustic, so entirely different to “the day job” or Alan’s side project; this showcased Stevie as a songwriter, and judging from the tracks he did from his solo album, not only is he a fine writer, but has a great ear for the work of others. The set, naturally, was based round Stevie’s Wynds of Life album, but some rare Nimmo “softer” songs not often aired as well as some surprising covers: somehow a Ropbert Johnson morphed into That’s Alright Mama.

Musically, it was very different from a Nimmo Brothers show, more “Americana” than Blues but absolute quality and the full range of Stevie’s vocal depth and range was amazing.

From what Stevie was saying between songs, Nimmo Brothers will be on hold throughout 2014, due to Alan’s committments with King King, so if there’s a date near you - don’t miss it. On the otherhand, if your fans of the band, then you’ll already know what a quality player/singer Stevie is in his own right, so if you fancy a change of pace, treat yourself and catch one of his gigs. There may be some Stevie Nimmo Trio gigs spring up also.

Aug 24 2013 - brij blues night, workum, nl Stevie Nimmo solo
Aug 25 2013 - Cafe BP, Mortsel, Belgium CAFE BP; Gemeenteplein 3; 2640 MORTSEL Stevie Nimmo solo
Nov 8 2013 - Carlisle Blues Festival; Carlisle, UK Stevie Nimmo Trio
Nov 9 2013 - Mol Goes Blues, Mol, Belgium; PC Mol-Donk Stevie Nimmo Trio
Dec 14 2013 - Nursery Inn, Hartlepool, UK Stevie Nimmo solo + Andrew Pipe acoustic

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Stevie Nimmo

Mol Goes Blues again :-)
It's real good that Mol is back in the blues business.

Saturday, Dec 14th

Harr! t'was a squally night over in Hartlepool, the wind lashing the riggin' of the Trincomalee; aye, but the atmosphere in the Nursery Inn was warm as the grog and convivial as......better stop there.....

Not a bad way to open a few notes on Stevie Nimmo's solo gig at the Nursery Inn, Hartlepool. Not the biggest room in the town, it was full with 50 people sat round tables, never mind the dozen or so of us stood at the back; but it was warm, the beer was reasonable and ample and the sound was superbly handled; the venue is known on the folk and acoustic cirucits. The audience was settled into a good mood by Andrew (Mentulls) Pipe doing his first ever acoustic solo, so there was a great vibe as Stevie took the stage.

So, this is the "less noisy Nimmo", according to Stevie, well for me the set just showed what a fantastic voice Stevie has, as well as his great guitar technique that make him and Alan the two sides of the same coin: they are dynamite together, but separate, they're still great. Stevie tends more on the Americana and singer/songwriter, leaning a lot on his sublime solo album, Wynds Of Life, but as he showed, the rocker is still in him as he bursts into Voodoo Chile, which is no mean feat, unplugged.
The audience is with him every step of the way, cheering and urging him on every guitar break or poignant lyric emphasis - and they come think and fast.

Lesser used songs from Nimmo's back catalogue, especially from the New Moon Over Memphis album are mixed with some of Stevie's favourite songwriters in a very relaxed style, interspersed with anecdotes and some back-and-forth with the audience. Split over 2 sets, it was 90+ minutes of some of the very best acoustic I've heard in a long while; up there with Messers Segal, Parker, Lister & Bonfanti.

Keep an eye out through the early part of 2014, Stevie may do more solo shows, but he has a growing number of shows in Trio form.

I saw a few weeks ago The Stevie Nimmo Trio at Mol Belgium. And he was really great. Fabulous voice and
guitarplayer.

retlawv wrote:

I saw a few weeks ago The Stevie Nimmo Trio at Mol Belgium. And he was really great. Fabulous voice and
guitarplayer.

Looking forward to a couple of Stevie Nimmo Trio gigs in 2014 - he's promised to turn up the Orange amp.... I'd still recommend one of Stevie's solo, acoustic shows if you haven't caught one yet; great, intimate night.

Sat 5th April - Newcastle Cluny.

Remember that date; that was the date I was “Nimm-ed”. I can remember the first time I saw Stevie & Alan on the recommendation of friends, and thereby “Nimmo-ed”, and similarly seeing King King I’ve been “crowned”, but on Saturday, I went to see Stevie’s new Trio project, and was blown out my socks.

Little bit different to what I was originally expecting, for some reason I was looking for guitar/keys/drums set up, but what was on stage was the classic guitar/bass/drums power trio format with old mate Matt Beable on bass and newish face Craig Bacon on drums. Well, Stevie promised to plug in and crank it out, and he did just that, the first couple of numbers like Rattlesnake Shake, brand new and heavily crunchy; definitely Nimmo songs, but enough difference to stand aside from Nimmo Brothers. For the whole 90 minute set, Stevie avoided falling back on “day-job” standards and instead mixed brand new tracks from an upcoming album such as the sublime I Can Change with re-worked numbers from his Wynds of Life solo such as Eye of The Storm & Good day For The Blues. Covers were few and far between, but if Lonely Night In Georgia melted strings, then Stevie’s take on Big George’s The Storm melted amps and speakers.

The night just had a great party-like atmosphere; the Trio seemed to be having as much a good night as the 100 or so Geordies so too soon it seemed things were wrapped up with a thumpin’ take on Freddie King’s Goin’ Down. and an ear-splitting roar of approval for Stevie’s new project.

Another great show from Stevie, Matt & Craig at Newcastle Cluny on Friday night. It's no secret what a great player & singer Stevie is within the Nimmo Borthers, but just as Alan is on a roll with King King, then so Stevie is due a bit solo spotlight with this rockin' trio.

The set as such wasn't greatly changed from earlier in the year, though the soloing had that bit more "bite" and long-term sideman Mat is a superb foil, along with the powerhouse that is Craig. The only other slight change, the encore wasn't so much Goin' Down as Ganin' Doon.

Sooner these guy's get in the studio, the better, though on this form, a Live CD wouldn't go amiss either.

A reminder; as if one's needed, about Stevie's double-header tour with label mate Ben Poole for upcoming new album Sky Won't Fall (release due 4th March):-
Feb 11 - The Half Moon; Putney; 3 Lower Richmond Rd; London SW15 1EU
Feb 12 - The Forum; Darlington; Borough Rd; Darlington DL1 1SG
Feb 13 - Bingley Arts Centre; Bingley Arts Centre Main Street; Bingley; West Yorkshire BD16 2LZ
Feb 14 - Southern Pavillion; West Pier; Marine Parade; Worthing BN11 3PX

Mar 17 - The Ropetackle; High St; Shoreham-by-Sea; West Sussex BN43
Mar 18 - The Ropery Hall; Maltkiln Rd; Barton-upon-Humber; North Lincolnshire DN18 5JW
Mar 19 - Mickleton, RnB Club; Mickleton Village Hall; nr Barnard Castle; County Durham DL12 0JR
Mar 20 - Green Hotel; 2 Muirs Kinros; Perthshire KY13 8AS
Mar 21 - Haven Club; 162 Cowley Road; Oxford, OX4 1UE

Apr 29 - Boom Boom Club; Sutton United FC; Gander Green Lane; Sutton SM1 2EY
Apr 30; Selby Town Hall; York St; Selby; North Yorkshire YO8 4AH
May 4 - The Cluny; 36 Lime Street; Newcastle upon Tyne; NE1 2PQ,
May 5 - Tolbooth; Jail Wynd; Stirling FK8 1DE
May 6 - Oran Mor; Byres Road; Glasgow
May 7 - Cafe Drummond; 1 Belmont Street; Aberdeen AB10 1JR
May 11 -  Vonnies; 21 Church St; Charlton Kings; Chelthenam; GL53 8AP
May 12 - Beaverwood Club; Beaverwood Rd; Chislehurst BR7 6HF
May 13 - 320 Portswood Rd; Southampton; SO17 2TD
May 14 - Hartlepool Supporters club; Hartlepool
May 15  - The Engine Shed; Lincoln
May 19 - The Celler Bar; Farnham Maltings
May 20 - Arlington Arts Centre; Mary Hare; Newbury RG14 3BQ
May 21 - The Flowerpot; 23-25 King St; Derby DE1 3DZ
May 22 - The Greystones; Greystones Road; Sheffield
Jun 18 - Stevie Nimmo Trio Festival Des Foins; Saint Germain des Champs; Morvan, France

I have an advance copy of the Sky Won't Fall (its available at the gigs) - will be a contender for album of the year.

I Saw him a week ago at The Bosuil at Weert , The Netherlands. Always good

Kenny wrote:

I have an advance copy of the Sky Won't Fall (its available at the gigs) - will be a contender for album of the year.

I'll go along with that... Fantastic gig at Darlington on Friday night; both Stevie and Ben were on fire. And the finale jam was something the club will be talking about for sometime to come.

12 (edited by BansheeUK 2016-02-15 08:38:23)

As the 2nd half of a double-header show; anyone would have their work cut out, following an incendiary opening half by Ben Poole; but you can't put one past Stevie, not after 20 years or rocking with his brother Alan. Stevie's got his trio (Matt Beable & Craig Bacon) and they've got a new album under their belts and came on stage swinging; a storm to whip up Ben's earlier fire and turn The Forum into a Blues inferno. Rather than take the easier option and fall back on Nimmo Brothers classics, Stevie incorporated such covers as Storyville's Good Day For The Blues and showcase The Storm by Big George.
For the encore, Stevie called Ben up on stage, with keyboard player Steve Watts and they tore up Freddie King's Going Down; one of the best jams I've heard.
As someone once said to me, "anything with a Nimmo in is bound to be good", well Stevie is onto a VERY good thing here; recommend you catch him sometime.

It's only February, but this has set a very high bar for "best gig of the year". I'd have happily paid the £12 ticket for either band, but for both; and that mother of a jam finale....

Well, getting toward the end of the co-headline tour and once again, Ben sets up the audience and once again, Stevie just blasts it through the roof......
Unlike Ben, Stevie's no stranger to Hartlepool, though his last visit was acoustic; and the packed Supporter's Club were really eager for Stevie's return, and he didn't disappoint. The set I doubt has changed at all since Darlington earlier in the tour, but then why should it; a great mix of Stevie's older and newer solo work, with Storyville, Allman Brothers & Big George covers, Stevie a Blues genre of his own - Glas-texas Blues.
And as said before, the encore with Ben Poole and Ben's keyboard wiz Steve Watts is epic. We've all seen great gigs, but this has been a great tour.....

I went to a show last week

Both bands were very good really good encore great value night out

I already had both CD's from HMV [which is good to see they stack some new blues rock ] But cheaper ta the gigs

Keys were very good

15 (edited by BansheeUK 2018-03-13 04:50:46)

Friday 9th March - Darlington Forum

It’s not often you go out to see a guitarist with a broken arm, and not wonder how they’re going to cope with the obvious limitation, but trust a true pro like Stevie Nimmo to get round the problem with great aplomb.

Before Christmas, it was the unique situation of almost-but-not-quite a Nimmo Brothers reunion with Stevie singing but not playing and Alan N playing but not singing due to recent throat surgery. This time though, Alan’s off touring with King King commitments so Stevie has brought in a new guitarist, a relative unknown young guy, Dave Devlin, and what a find he has been; within three songs, he was getting ovations for his solos. Not that the gig was just a showcase for this nascent talent, but it also brought to the fore what a powerful & expressive singer Stevie is. There are very few guitarists who can show equal prowess in their playing and singing, and Stevie is toward the top of the list. Add to that, a solid backline of the ever present Craig Bacon on drums and old Nimmo Bros face Sam Firth on Bass and you got a top flight band.

No surprise that the set was most of the Sky Won’t Fall album, with a powerful cover of Stroyville’s Good Day For The Blues and Freddie King’s Goin’Down closing the main set, the latter being a blazing showcase for the young “wunderkind”  and also in there was a Nimmo-ed up cover of a little known recent Clapton, River of Tears. Another treat for the night, was Stevie picking up a guitar and managing to get through Gambler’s Roll for the 1st time since his spill and he’s probably still suffering for the impromptu bit of physio, but good to see the magic is returning. Closing the night, Stevie got back to his roots with young Devlin playing his heart out on Big George’s The Storm.

So, great as always to Stevie in action, even partly so, but however long left Dave Devlin has on the road with the band then I think the lad has earned from being “(+ 1)”, passed “+ 1” and should be “+ Dave Devlin”; what a find this quiet young talent is.

Here's some footage our ol' mate Walter took in Weert about a week previously, featuring Dave Devlin:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gld_BwDCHcU

I think he joined his brothers Band KING KING...

Go Raiders, JUST WIN BABY!
Fight ON USC TROJANS!