1 (edited by samjp4 2013-05-23 19:17:07)

Topic: Flickr changes

I know this isn't a topic specifically about Joe but since there are quite a few of us who share our photos via Flickr I figured I would post it here.

Flickr has done a dramatic change to its layout.  Some will love it, others not so much.  It seems to be better for viewing sets (which is what a lot of us use for sharing a show) but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the old "slideshow" feature to work (which I loved).  I just tried one of my old links and it seems to work so stuff posted in the past by those of us who use Flickr will still work.  They do offer a lot of "free" (with ads) storage for new signups, but those who have had pro accounts already had it.  Total mess really at the moment.

I am not a fan of what they have done (it is a very "busy" looking place now) and it is not easy to organize thinks at present, but hopefully they will listen to the thousands of irate users and make some tweaks that will fix some of the more unpopular features or at least allow some options to customize your page.  Anyone with any good ideas for an alternative share site to use?

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

2 (edited by nmagcorn 2013-05-23 20:31:35)

Re: Flickr changes

samjp4 wrote:

I know this isn't a topic specifically about Joe but since there are quite a few of us who share our photos via Flickr I figured I would post it here.

Flickr has done a dramatic change to its layout.  Some will love it, others not so much.  It seems to be better for viewing sets (which is what a lot of us use for sharing a show) but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the old "slideshow" feature to work (which I loved).  I just tried one of my old links and it seems to work so stuff posted in the past by those of us who use Flickr will still work.  They do offer a lot of "free" (with ads) storage for new signups, but those who have had pro accounts already had it.  Total mess really at the moment.

I am not a fan of what they have done (it is a very "busy" looking place now) and it is not easy to organize thinks at present, but hopefully they will listen to the thousands of irate users and make some tweaks that will fix some of the more unpopular features or at least allow some options to customize your page.  Anyone with any good ideas for an alternative share site to use?

Sandy

I know what you mean, Sandy. I was completely thrown off when I went to use it the other day. I hate when sites make changes once you have become comfortable with how they work. I did figure out how to do the slideshow, though. You move your mouse over to an image in your set and in the bottom right corner there is a hidden icon with arrows. If you click on that, the picture will enlarge and it will have the familiar left,right,play symbols at the top. It was really confusing at first and of course there is no one to tell you how to figure anything out. The sets do look interesting now, but they feel kind of crammed together. They're site was down earlier today, so they are obviously having issues. It is hard to embrace change sometimes.

Thanks for figuring that out - but it is still different from the slide show.

I notice today they removed a lot of the "black" background but they still have a lot of work to do.  I hate when new stuff is released with a lot of bugs still in it.

I don't have a problem with change, but I do have a problem when the changes aren't working well.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.

The changes are a pain in the butt. It is taking forever for the pictures to just come up on the screen. It's like they have way to much stuff going on behind the scenes which is slowing everything down.

5 (edited by Rocket 2013-05-24 06:52:41)

nmagcorn wrote:

The changes are a pain in the butt. It is taking forever for the pictures to just come up on the screen. It's like they have way to much stuff going on behind the scenes which is slowing everything down.

In the world I work in, we call this "there's the door"... mad

Crock OFF & Keep the Not All Ideas All the Time Faith,
Rocket

I'll figure out how to view your photos, Sandy.  They can't stop me.  And they better speed it up, too.

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

hoping that it is just teething problems but the photostream will not display properly via Safari, - page layout is all over the place.

Any recommendations on what else is worth using?

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Ian916 wrote:

hoping that it is just teething problems but the photostream will not display properly via Safari, - page layout is all over the place.

Any recommendations on what else is worth using?

I don't have any experience with Safari.  They have tweaked a few things, hopefully will do more in the days ahead.  I am willing to give them some time (my biggest complaint, and why I think it is so darn slow is the endless scrolling down) since I have a LOT of pictures there and really don't want to move them and my pro plan is paid for at least another year.

A few have mentioned 500px and ipernity.  I don't know much about either so at this point will wait until those sites get a little less busy (they are currently signing up Flickr deserters in droves).  At least one person I know of is setting up their own website.

Natasha - to get a slideshow:  click on a picture.  When the picture comes up click on the 3 dots in the bottom right and a popup comes up where you can choose slideshow.  Only took me two days to find it - lol.

Sandy

samjp4 wrote:

Natasha - to get a slideshow:  click on a picture.  When the picture comes up click on the 3 dots in the bottom right and a popup comes up where you can choose slideshow.  Only took me two days to find it - lol.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy. Just love (sarcasm) how everything computer related is "intuitive" these days. It takes forever to figure anything out. Give me a good manual that I can page through, as in real paper, that I can look at anytime anywhere, and I would be very happy.

Good little article that explains getting around the new place a little better.  I think if Flickr had done something like this it would have had a lot of people less riled up.

http://thomashawk.com/

Sandy

samjp4 wrote:

Good little article that explains getting around the new place a little better.  I think if Flickr had done something like this it would have had a lot of people less riled up.

Sandy

Thanks - I'm new to Flickr and couldn't load my pictures of the Beacon from my iPhone!

Alan

samjp4 wrote:

Sandy

Thanks Sandy, the article was helpful.