Topic: Opening Song

The first song in a live performance goes a long way in setting the stage for what's to come.  Stevie Ray Vaughan often times would open with an instrumental as a warmup to get things going.  ABB in the early days would start with Statesboro Blues.

With Joe's new lineup I think that "Left Overs" off of Blues Deluxe would be a kick butt way of starting off the night.  That is a great up-tempo song with some great keyboards and guitar solos.  This would really get the crowd rocking to what is about to come.   Image, the stage is dark, Joe starts off with his signature trademark licks and the rest of the band joins in and the light come on! 

Really any song would be good, but an instrumental would really cool.

What do you think?

Music is good for the Soul...

Re: Opening Song

How 'bout when Joe used to open with Woke Up Dreaming; remember that from a few years back?  The venue would typically be dark, the stage standing empty & waiting, the crowd a little hushed in anticipation... then from off to the side Joe would begin to play it with increasing volume & intensity as he stepped up & greeted the crowd--roaring, by that point--before thundering right into the rest of the song.  No complaints about any of the other opening songs over the last few years, but I sure used to love that!

"The Blues is like a tonic for all that ails you."  BB King

Rock ON & Keep the Faith!

David i'm trying to come up with an Opener , But i'm in total agreement here . . . That song is Eleventy Twelve on the "Gets yer feet movin" scale
   LEFT OVERS ........ Absolute Awesome and the whole band would smile and boogie too and could even put a twist on it .... Great song

One Other that would knock the crowd back on their heels .... Whoooooooaaaaaa Effect is a Blistering Southern Boogie version of

TRAVELLIN' SOUTH ........... Oh Yes smile   me thinks this would be too much power for most mere mortals to handle in the first 5 minutes     wink

........................... michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

i always liked when joe opened with cradle rock that really kicked **** to get a show started also steppin out/ rice pudding was another great opener ..well thats my two cents....................................................joe

In my mind you just can't beat Takin' The Hit as an opener.

Kyle wrote:

In my mind you just can't beat Takin' The Hit as an opener.

That song is a great opener.  That's what he opened with the first time I heard him play.  I think Joe could arrange just about any song to be a great opener but if I had to pick only one,  I would like to hear "I Know Where I Belong".

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

I loved when I saw Joe at the 2003 Denver Blues and Bones Festival when he opened with a new "slide-less" arrangement of Cradle Rock.

michael*lynch wrote:

David i'm trying to come up with an Opener , But i'm in total agreement here . . . That song is Eleventy Twelve on the "Gets yer feet movin" scale
   LEFT OVERS ........ Absolute Awesome and the whole band would smile and boogie too and could even put a twist on it .... Great song

One Other that would knock the crowd back on their heels .... Whoooooooaaaaaa Effect is a Blistering Southern Boogie version of

TRAVELLIN' SOUTH ........... Oh Yes smile   me thinks this would be too much power for most mere mortals to handle in the first 5 minutes     wink

........................... michael

Eleventy Twelve?  Never heard that expression before!  Sounds cool though.

Travelin South is indeed a great moving song...

You Upset Me Baby

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

When I saw him last he did Bridge To Better Days  I dont think thats too shabby of an opening song.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Left Overs would be a great way to start the show. I forgot how good of a song it really is. I'm sure it would get the whole audience on their feet. Anyone know if this song was ever done live?

I don't think he has started with this, but I have a live show from '03 where he opens with an extended solo that leads into "Pain and Sorrow" that is a sampler of every style Joe plays. It leaves you breathless!

Melissa, I remember Joe doing that, very effective, great song.

Joe, Cradle Rock is a great song too, I remember this being in the setlist.

Kyle and Susan, Takin the Hit is a good way to the setlist started.

Gary, your right Bridge is not a shabby way to open.

Patty, You Upset Me has been in the rotation for a long while and is a movin song.

I don't ever remember Left Overs being performed live, great song to resurrect.

The first time I heard Bridge To Better Days I said, "there's his opener." So, that one is it.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

cathysiler wrote:

I don't think he has started with this, but I have a live show from '03 where he opens with an extended solo that leads into "Pain and Sorrow" that is a sampler of every style Joe plays. It leaves you breathless!

What show is that?

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

I like the idea of starting the show with an instrumental. First time I saw Joe he opened with "Faux Martini". Whatever song it is, I like it when you hear Joe before you see him. I think that is a really cool when Joe starts playing backstage and then strolls triumphantly on stage.

I think I'm the one that confused you Jane. He didn't start the show w/the solo, he started Pain and Sorrow with it. Recher Theater, Towson, Md. 1/18/2003. Melissa said she has seen him do it live. Lucky Lady!

pain and sorrow, never have seen it live . the first cd I heard of joe was silt and I was really diggin the cd ,when pain and sorrow cam e on that was the one that really put me over the edge. the rest as they say is history.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky