Topic: Just a suggestion

To all the wonderful photographers that share their photos here I would like to make a request or suggestion.

There are so  many shots of Joe during the various tours and we can watch the evolution of Joe's show over the years. My only regret is not making this request a long time ago.

Each tour the lights, the set up, the guitars, the suits, and sometimes even the band changes but each tour they remain pretty consistent. The thing that changes every night is the venue.

I would like to ask you talented photographers to capture the room too. I know I would like to see shows in the Fox, Chicago, and Beacon theaters but just can't make each show but I sure wish to experience and see these historic rooms. I made a set on Flikr of various venue shots of Joe's career as it moved from the dive bars through the mid level rooms all the way to the A level rooms he is playing now.

I asked a friend to capture this specifically who shoots the show here for me since I am such a lousy photographer although there are a few shots I took mixed in with my point and shoot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14847638@N … 462423189/

What do you think of this idea? Maybe some of you do but just don't think people are interested in the shots.

2 (edited by bump827 2013-05-12 11:06:41)

Re: Just a suggestion

jim m wrote:

To all the wonderful photographers that share their photos here I would like to make a request or suggestion.

There are so  many shots of Joe during the various tours and we can watch the evolution of Joe's show over the years. My only regret is not making this request a long time ago.

Each tour the lights, the set up, the guitars, the suits, and sometimes even the band changes but each tour they remain pretty consistent. The thing that changes every night is the venue.

I would like to ask you talented photographers to capture the room too. I know I would like to see shows in the Fox, Chicago, and Beacon theaters but just can't make each show but I sure wish to experience and see these historic rooms. I made a set on Flikr of various venue shots of Joe's career as it moved from the dive bars through the mid level rooms all the way to the A level rooms he is playing now.

I asked a friend to capture this specifically who shoots the show here for me since I am such a lousy photographer although there are a few shots I took mixed in with my point and shoot.

What do you think of this idea? Maybe some of you do but just don't think people are interested in the shots.

I'm going to The Beacon shows and bringing my digital SLR to the second two (have the photo pass).

Why don't we have a central site that people can post pictures to? And yes, The Beacon was a wonderment when they did the improvements.

And I'll have my iPhone at Beth Hart tomorrow so will see how they come out.

Alan

Jim, I always take some photos of the venues...at least when I have my camera.
I have a bunch of the Chicago Theater from the previous show that I don't think I posted. I'll get them up in the next few days.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

A great idea Jim. I have begun taking a slow 360 pan in my videos of the crowd and venue during the show in at least one of the songs. You can still hear the song but I like to include the audience too now and think it adds to the fun. Maybe some of you are even stars in your own rights. big_smile
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Cool idea. Maybe one of the marquis outside and a few inside, before and during the show?

nmagcorn wrote:

Cool idea. Maybe one of the marquis outside and a few inside, before and during the show?

yes great idea
cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

By the way, my recent favorites for beauty both inside and outside:
Chicago Theater
Beacon Theater
Fox Theater (St. Louis)
Coronado Theater (Rockford, IL)
Shepherds Bush
Hammersmith
Royal Albert Hall

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

jim m wrote:

Definately a good shout, some cracking photos in there.  It's always great to see the 'action' on stage shots but the surrounds do add a bit more character to it all.  Not much of phographer myself but usually take a couple outside venues before going in although have never really thought of capturing the crowd or insides.  Maybe will start to though...

I've done that a few times, but honestly they can be some tough pictures to get given that the lighting is not always the best.  I'll have a look when I get home and see what I have.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

samjp4 wrote:

I've done that a few times, but honestly they can be some tough pictures to get given that the lighting is not always the best.  I'll have a look when I get home and see what I have.

Sandy

I think it's a very good suggestion, and I wish I would have or could have taken more crowd shots over the years. There are a number of factors that make it challenging and Sandy brings up one of them. Stage lighting is a LOT different than the lighting on the audience. To properly take audience shots a photographer needs to have the camera set up just for that. Another issue is for the full theatre shots a pretty wide angle lens is called for and while I have such a lens I don't (or haven't) brought it with to a show because I don't want to carry a ton of equipment into the theatre. A third factor is positioning. The best spot to really capture a venue and the audience is from the stage as in the shots Joe has been sharing recently on Twitter. Except for my last show at the Chicago Theatre I've always just taken photos from my seat, which limits what you can capture. In Chicago, I decided to go to a designated spot to photograph three songs and it may have been an okay spot to get a crowd shot, but I wasn't prepared for that.

The one type of audience shot I have taken on occasion is the candid shot of an individual or group sitting near me - something that catches my eye if I take my eye off the stage for a moment. It doesn't always work because sometimes the moment is lost before you can reset for it.

Another factor going forward is that there are more restrictions being placed on photographers. For example, access to the front of the stage is limited or denied altogether for the entire show.

Like others, I'll give it a consideration for future shows. It would definitely be a good way to try and be a little more creative.

Lee wrote:
samjp4 wrote:

Sandy

I think it's a very good suggestion, and I wish I would have or could have taken more crowd shots over the years. There are a number of factors that make it challenging and Sandy brings up one of them. Stage lighting is a LOT different than the lighting on the audience. To properly take audience shots a photographer needs to have the camera set up just for that. Another issue is for the full theatre shots a pretty wide angle lens is called for and while I have such a lens I don't (or haven't) brought it with to a show because I don't want to carry a ton of equipment into the theatre. A third factor is positioning. The best spot to really capture a venue and the audience is from the stage as in the shots Joe has been sharing recently on Twitter. Except for my last show at the Chicago Theatre I've always just taken photos from my seat, which limits what you can capture. In Chicago, I decided to go to a designated spot to photograph three songs and it may have been an okay spot to get a crowd shot, but I wasn't prepared for that.

The one type of audience shot I have taken on occasion is the candid shot of an individual or group sitting near me - something that catches my eye if I take my eye off the stage for a moment. It doesn't always work because sometimes the moment is lost before you can reset for it.

Another factor going forward is that there are more restrictions being placed on photographers. For example, access to the front of the stage is limited or denied altogether for the entire show.

Like others, I'll give it a consideration for future shows. It would definitely be a good way to try and be a little more creative.

A lot of points I didn't think of. Since I am not much of a photographer. I marvel at the great shots that are posted by so many here. I do take a few snaps of the rooms before the show but of course they are blurry since I suck with a camera. Just thinking that you guys that have a clue could take a few walking in now that I realize it isn't so easy from a seat especially during the show.

Holly who took most of the ones on my Flikr had the ability to move around and never took any from a seat. I was kind of amazed at how she got some of the ones during the show. When I asked her to take room and crowd shots the first time I was thinking before the show. She came up with during the show thing and some of the shots are my favorites of hers.

Wish I would have seen this a few days ago. The Capitol Theatre in Yakima, WA is a gorgeous little gem. Originally a movie theater, it's lovingly restored, a real masterpiece of a venue. I actually went outside to take a picture of the marquee, only to find that there wan't one! Rats.