Topic: Bona-blast in Hagerstown 6/2

It was a HOT day. The festival was packed. As James Cotton was finishing his set on the Bud Lit stage, there was a mass of black shirts with every Joe motif imaginable gathering at the bass of the main stage. To the right was the Bona-family, parents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Melissa's mom was also there. By the end of Cotton's set the "shirts" had been joined by a sea of bluesfesters. Joe and the boys came on stage to a roar of applause and screaming black shirts and off we went...The set list was abbreviated due to a strict 9:30pm sound ordinance, but we were not cheated in anyway! I'll let Carl or one of the others  post the list as my skills and exact memory are POOR! I too think Sloe Gin is a hit! Melissa and Nico were in the walk space between the crowd and the stage and Nico had his guitar. I can't say enough about how cool that kid is. During Walter Trout's rain delay, that turned into a cancellation, Nico performed along with the CD to "Walk in my Shadow" in the parking garage. Our own little Joe in the making!  OF COURSE, Joe and the boys came out after, and OF COURSE you can imagine how gracious and patient they were. Now, I know we frequently talk about how kind Joe is and I know why..His parents are remarkable! His Mom went to the Blues Review booth so she could personally thank them for all they do for Joe. How cool is that!! And both she and Joe's dad are VERY thankful to all of you. They think Joe's fans are THE BEST. I had such a great time and meeting all the Forum buddies was like a reunion. Hugs and kisses to all!!!! I am a happy and filthy girl..off to the shower and bed but I hope I've given you a good Sunday AM read...Michael Lynch, you were missed but we talked about you!!! Peace my friends.....Cathy

Re: Bona-blast in Hagerstown 6/2

Just getting back into Pittsburgh at 2:30 in the morning from the WMBF. A scorching hot day it was. Well worth the wait though to see Joe (that is a no brainer) and the gang put on a fantastic show. Took a friend for her BONABAPTISM. She is excited to see the band again at the PITTSBURGH ARTS FESTIVAL on the 14th (imagine that). Will post more tomorrow about the show.

Tell me about the car i saw parked outside your door ? Tell me what you left me waiting two or three hours for ? Tell me why when the phone rings, baby, your up and across the floor ? Please dont keep me wondering no more.....

Thanks Cathy for the update.  Festivals are a lot of fun because of so many people, being outdoors, the weather and great music.  Sounds like "Sloe Gin" is an awesome song.  Great that there are so many supporters for Joe now and growing.

Music is good for the Soul...

It sure was hot!  It cooled down by the time Joe came on, but he raised the temp when he got on stage.  I stayed in the VIP area, it was too crowded at the stage.  I missed some of his quiet parts, I let my imagination take over.  His acoustic number was the show stopper imo.  What a talent!  My friends were talking about how cool it would be if Joe played at the community college I work for.  Yeah right, like that would ever happen.  I got home at 12:30 and my phone rang, my buddy snaid that Joe's site said he was playing there in October.  I laughed it off as a joke.  Just for grins I checked Joe's schedule and what do you know, he is playing there Oct 19!  Front row baby!  Joe rocks!

Cathy..enjoyed your review...... you had a Bonna.reunion great to read about it ....can't wait hearing Sloe Gin too...

Jane H. wrote:

oh and Bogie is ready to rock hard on some of the other new tunes of the upcoming album. he told me there's 3 in particular that really rock

oh and Nacncy i forgot to ask your question but i think Joe has said before that since he's had the bus he's able to eat better on the road, fix stuff on the bus, etc.

joe might be eatting well on the bus but when i was talking to him the other night they were going out to eat and i'm sure he wasn't watching his calories .joe

7 (edited by Barbara 2007-06-03 16:10:31)

SWELTERING HOT, sunny and extremely humid yesterday at the WMBF!!!  That is how I would describe it, but even extreme heat and high humidity could not stop us from enjoying great music all day and waiting patiently for Joe and the boys to come onto the stage.  And boy it was well worth hunkering down at the front stage a good three hours before Joe came on just to make sure I got the perfect spot......yep, right in front of Joe. 

Joe, Bogie, Carmine and Rick came out onto the stage in some of their best show attire.  They all looked fantastic.  They of course rocked that place with their never ending energy, enthusiasm and passion for rockin' the blues.  The boys seem to have clicked well as a group and are extremely tight.  Carmine and Rick were jamming and Rick on the keyboards is a really a nice addition to Joe's sound.  Bogie was absolutely on FIRE last night and his solo was just friggin incredible.  You are such a talented drummer!  Joe's acoustic version of Woke Up Dreaming was spell binding and Sloe Gin was AWESOME and sure to be a big hit.

Glad I finally got a chance to meet you Carl and Cathy.  Melissa and Jane it is always good to see you guys and to talk to you.  Don and Jocelyn truly fun hanging out with you again.

Joe, you are the man and thank you so much for an outstanding show last night.  Also, thanks for taking a moment of your time and letting me get my picture taken with you.  You are truly a special person.  Carmine it was nice to meet you.  Bogie, a BIG special thanks for taking time last night to come out after the show to chat with Carl, Cathy, Jane and I. You are the best and as Cathy so correctly said to you last night....we luv' ya!!!

Joe, I'll see you guys in Columbus, OH............

Barbara

8 (edited by tarus52 2007-06-03 17:14:15)

Jane,Cathy, Melissa,Carl,Kristi it was a pleasure to finally meet all of you,had a great time partying with you and Jane i must say you rock girl.Nice to meet Joe's dad and mom.Hope to see all of you in the future at another Bonamassa concert.As soon as i get a chance i will post photos of the concert. Jane, i would like to get a copy of that group photo with joe. If you have an extra paper please send me one. Bob

PS Jane, tell wild child Kristi she made my day!!!!

Dang......and it looks like Joe has a new red? shirt to add to his collection of black ones!  I will have to request this shirt for the Springfield, MO show in Sept.  All the shows I have photographed he is in a black shirt, except for 2.  Nice color - looks good with the guitars!

~Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid

I was there!! IT was amazing! Joe signed my CD! I love you!!!!!!

I also wanna say that I was impressed with Joe's showmanship...  I have a few bootleg earlier concerts from like 2001/2002 era and the way he keeps himself now seems much different and much improved...   I dont know if its confidence or what, but he seemed much more into getting the crowd going and interaction and everything...   it was so amazing. And Joe your voice is just phenomenal dude..   It gets better everyday. He had incredible control over it at the show, I was truly blown away...  and you're not a bad guitar player either. What an amazing performance.

And the new songs sounded great! Can't wait to get my hands on that new album. Inspired me to pick guitar up again too. great stuff

Well, well, well....what can I say that hasn't been said already.  It was hot & steamy in the mid-Maryland summer heat, and that was BEFORE Joe & the boys came on stage and raised the temps like a heat wave.

Two-day tickets to the Western MD Blues Festival:  $37.50
Tank of gas to get to & from the venue:  $40.00
Overpriced, underchilled plastic cup of beer:  $5.00

Seeing Joe, Carmine, Rick & Bogie burnin' down the streets of Hagerstown, MD:  Priceless. tongue

For everything else, there's MasterCard(TM)

I got to the festival mid-afternoon as I was tied up moving my son into a new apartment, saw Jane and her crew walking up to the festival area as we were driving in, yelled hello, but she looked a little pre-occupied with finding the right way into the show....I ran into her and CathySiler shortly after entering the gates, had a nice chat with them....bumped into a lot of friends and acquaintainces along the way, including the lovely and talented Melissa and her entourage, the equally lovely and gracious Debby Bonamassa and at least one of Joe's aunts, Tarus, who I'd met several times before but never put 2 & 2 together that he was a Joe fan and forumite....several jammers from the blues jams I've been frequenting, one of whom is a very good guitarist I had burned a Joe show or 2 for and was happy to witness his jaw dropping to the asphalt and the head-shaking disbelief that a BonaVirgin experiences the first time seeing Joe....apologies to anyone specific I may have forgotten to list.

I was wearing my black original "Always on the Road" t-shirt, and several people came up to me and asked "Where did you get that shirt?!?".  I had to explain that it was at a show some years ago, but that since I'd seen something like 20 or more I couldn't remember where, speficially, and that, sadly, they were no longer available...thanks to those money-grubbing jerks at H-D....just KIDDING!  I love Harley-Davidson...I'm PROUD to be an American...etc.

Set list as best I can recall:

BRIDGE TO BETTER DAYS (INCLUDING "PERFECT STRANGERS" QUOTE)
WALK IN MY SHADOWS
BLUES DELUXE
MOUNTAIN TIME (new Indian/Middle Eastern sounding intro)
BURNING HELL
ANOTHER KIND OF LOVE (new rockin' song)
SLOE GIN (Title track of upcoming CD...definitely will be a crowd favorite)
HIGH WATER EVERYWHERE * (very cool different acoustic arrangement)
WOKE UP DREAMING * (as fast as I've ever heard it, still pristinely clean)
DJANGO
JUST GOT PAID > MULE > DAZED AND CONFUSED > DRUM SOLO > JUST GOT PAID
ENCORE:
ASKING AROUND FOR YOU > LOS ENDOS (GENESIS COVER)

Well, it's been a long (but fun) weekend, catch y'all again soon!

Keep on rockin' the blues....

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

Judging from the size of the crowd,I would have to say Joe's popularity is just ever increasing.The people around us at the show,wheather black or white or young or old were just blown away. I would like to add a special thanks to all of the volunteers who made the WMBF a huge success. It would have been a miserable day considering the extreme heat had they not kept the show's schedule rolling right on track.

Tell me about the car i saw parked outside your door ? Tell me what you left me waiting two or three hours for ? Tell me why when the phone rings, baby, your up and across the floor ? Please dont keep me wondering no more.....

Sounds like a fun time was had by all. I see One Of These Days didn't make the setlist again. I hope it might show up on the new disc as it really rocked as the last encore tune in SLO. Naturally Joe put his own spin on it making it that much better. It was cut from the show we saw in Sparks too. Jane, did you recognize the closing chords in Another Kind Of Love????

Think Green,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Okay, I acted too late in getting tickets for the Bull Run show in Shirley, so I got them for the show on 6/12 in Newport RI, which sound like a good place anyway. Just got the 6-1-07 show at the IMAC off of Dime, and I'm checking it out, and what do I hear, but a piano??!!??

So I start going through the forum, whihc I hadn't scanned in a while (gotta leave work behind one of these days) and I find out there is a line-up change!! When did this happen?? Where did Mark go??

I will say that I have long thought all Joe needed was some keyboards to put the final finish on his music. Apparently, we were on the same wavelength. I think it sounds tremendous, not that it was lacking in the first place. I have always been amazed with how full the live stuff has always sounded, it just needed that extra little something, and I really think that was it.

Congrats to all, and I am really looking forward to the show. I'm bringing a semi-virgin, he saw Joe at the now defunct HOB in Cambridge MA in 2002(?) and a full virgin, who has not seen Joe live but has heard me go on and on about him. He will, no, they both will be blown away. He has come so far over the years and is better and better each time i see him. I am really looking forward to October in Boston when he'll be playing the Berklee Performance Center.

C Ya!!

I'm given you a passing grade LOL, just for having as much fun as you possbly could. That tune has a very ZZ Top groove to it and he finishes it with the same ending of ZZ's Tush. Glad to see the date at the Bellyup in Socal is back on the tour page as Shred & I were already hatching a road trip to see that one.

Think Green,

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

If my memory serves me i remember hearing a few notes of HAD TO CRY TODAY thrown in the mix at the WMBF. Hope to see a few of you at the PITTSBURGH ARTS FEST. next Thursday the 14th.The stage and audience area is really cramped into a little section of town unlike last year when the entire lawn in Point State Park was open.Went to see Robert Randolph there last Friday but he cancelled the show due to being trapped in New Jersey because of weather issues. BUMMER!!!

darrflo wrote:

If my memory serves me i remember hearing a few notes of HAD TO CRY TODAY thrown in the mix at the WMBF. Hope to see a few of you at the PITTSBURGH ARTS FEST. next Thursday the 14th.The stage and audience area is really cramped into a little section of town unlike last year when the entire lawn in Point State Park was open.Went to see Robert Randolph there last Friday but he cancelled the show due to being trapped in New Jersey because of weather issues. BUMMER!!!

My friend called me and told me the same story about the stage and audience area is really cramped into a little section of town. 

Could you tell me where the best placed to park for the show? 

Dean