1 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2013-03-04 16:52:17)

Topic: New Gear Day - Peavey Classic 30 combo

Hey all,

I remember Joe giving us a list of 10 amps on a budget $500 or less, and I remember the old 1st generation Peavey Classic 30's were on the list. I've always had my eye on them until a deal came through. They commonly sell for $350.

I just picked up a Peavey Classic 30 combo for $250.
one owner, he got it new in 1995.
New gold pinned groove tubes
The amp looks identical to a tween fender amp

this thing sounds amazing. single coil & humbuckers. Clean, dirt, well dirt can be a little harsh... but the cleans are amazing.
The volume control is a nice and EVEN sweep... not like a Fender HRD where you're on 1 or 2 and it sounds like it's up all the way.

The speaker is nice an broken in, but I'll eventually get bored with it and upgrade the speaker (GAS)
I already ordered new capacitors, and may look into a mercury magnetics PT... just to tinker with it.

Hate to admit it, but it sounds better than my BillM Modded Blues JR. I might try these amps in tandem, or I might just get rid of the Blues jr. The reverb on it is WAY better than the BJR.

I'm certain this amp will do for gigs by itself. I'm putting my theremin through the PA now, and I won't have to drag my heave 2x12 EVM12Ls and my Rivera Knucklehead to gigs that tons of people aren't going to show up to.

It's also interesting because the first tube amp I ever bought was a Peavey classic 100 head. I put it through a Peavey 5150 4x12 cab cool But this C30 sounds better than I remember them.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Re: New Gear Day - Peavey Classic 30 combo

Such a solid amp. Definitely been one I've always wanted, but never got. I really like the Peavey Delta Blues amp. The Delta Blues have a great Tremolo or Vibrato effect on it.

Sounds nice

Alan

Got 1 myself !!!! Sweet amp !! Enjoy it :-)

I've had a Classic 30 from new and I love it. I think I got mine in '98. The current tubes are JJs.

I think it has great classic rock/blues tones which I get by setting the Pre at somewhere between 5 and 8 (this little beauty goes all the way to 12!) and use a pedal for extra grunt. My Maxon OD-9 is, in my opinion, a perfect match for it.

Congrats on it.....I still have an older Classic 50 4 x 10- it's a Super Reverb rival for sure...Peavey Rocks!!!

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

RichardH wrote:

I've had a Classic 30 from new and I love it. I think I got mine in '98. The current tubes are JJs.

I think it has great classic rock/blues tones which I get by setting the Pre at somewhere between 5 and 8 (this little beauty goes all the way to 12!) and use a pedal for extra grunt. My Maxon OD-9 is, in my opinion, a perfect match for it.

Its got a lot of balls for one speaker and 30 watts. Plus the volume control isn't "touchy" like most other tube amps are. It's a nice even sweep.

I'll be trying my Fulltone Fulldrive II MOSFET with it later this week to see how it breaks up.

Do you still have the stock speaker in it Richard???

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Say it ain't so NIC!!!  LOL  I'm glad you like it.  I'm getting ready to bite the bullet on my Jr. and convert it to the 6V6 mods so I can get 25 to 30 watts out of it.  Might as well since I just bought this be cab for it so I could use 2 speakers.

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Hey all,

Hate to admit it, but it sounds better than my BillM Modded Blues JR. I might try these amps in tandem, or I might just get rid of the Blues jr. The reverb on it is WAY better than the BJR.

AD3THREE wrote:

Say it ain't so NIC!!!  LOL  I'm glad you like it.  I'm getting ready to bite the bullet on my Jr. and convert it to the 6V6 mods so I can get 25 to 30 watts out of it.  Might as well since I just bought this be cab for it so I could use 2 speakers.

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

Hey all,

The nicer handle on the peavey also makes it easier to carry then the BJR hmm

I have a Classic 50 4x10 and a Delta Blues. I've had the Classic since early 90's and I have NEVER had any issues with it whatsoever. The Delta however, is giving me nightmares. There always seems to be something wrong with it. Anyways...they are definitely amazing amps for a lot less than other companies. Congrats on the new amp!

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:
RichardH wrote:

Its got a lot of balls for one speaker and 30 watts. Plus the volume control isn't "touchy" like most other tube amps are. It's a nice even sweep.

I'll be trying my Fulltone Fulldrive II MOSFET with it later this week to see how it breaks up.

Do you still have the stock speaker in it Richard???

I've still got the original speaker plus a stock external Peavey 112 classic cabinet.

I'm told it will sound good with an external 4 x12 but I've not tried it.

I've played a C30 through a 5150 4x12 cabinet, it sounded rounder, warmer, and bigger. I was impressed.

I bought two of those amps and used them together - not stereo, just paired with one crunchy and the other set clean.  They were very, very nice indeed.  The reason I bought them was because I found my Fender Blues Deville 4x10" just too loud and I couldn't drive it how I wanted.  It was only when I added in a Tom Shulze attenuator to the Blues Deville thus providing me with options, that I sold the Peavey's.  Excellent buy though and I agree on the clean tone which is really nice.

Gibson LP '89 Custom * Gibson LP '04 Classic * Gibson JB LP Studio * Fender 50th Ann. Deluxe Strat * Gibson Explorer Pro * Epiphone Korina SG * Michael Kelly Patriot Premium * Ibanez 105NT Artcore Custom * Takamine acoustics * Fender Blues Deville 4x10" * Marshall DSL100 and DSL50 * Marshall 1960A * Laney LH55 * Bugera V55HD * Bugera 212VT * Marshall 1912 * Roland Cube 60

I've been getting some flak for having a Peavey when I've been using Rivera and Fender so long, but once they hear it, they are like "oh WOW... ok!"

My bass player got me one to use for gigs and bandstuff..... I love it! Got it setup downstairs right now in preparation for my gig on Friday. I can get 'that' tone with it,love its versatility... took me a day to figure out the pre and post-gain though:P