Topic: If heartaches were nickels

I have a question about this song.

I heard it the other day on an album by Leslie West.  The album's name is "Guitarded" and according to the DJ it featured Gregg Allma.

Later, I heard Bonamassa's version in A New Day Yesterday and it is exactly the same.

Can anyone please explain exactly what does each one of these three do on this song?

Last, but not least, does anyone know where I can get a bass tab for this wonderful song?

Thanks!

Re: If heartaches were nickels

Joe did play on Guitarded. While not complete, check this listing: http://www.bonamassabluesrock.com/other.html

Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule/Allman Bros) wrote If Heartaches Were Nickels. The ANDY studio version with guest appearances by Leslie West and Greg Allman is good, but the live version on ANDY LIVE is the best!

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure I understand though.  Haynes wrote it and it is played by West and Bonamassa in "Guitarded"?

What is the "Andy" version?

Thanks!

4 (edited by Rocket 2007-05-28 10:03:56)

Although my Guitarded is (still) out on (technically) unauthorized loan, so I can't relisten, it is the exact same version as on Joe's ANDY.  Incidentally my copy lists "Nantucket Sleighride" as being on the disc, but it's not on there! Awesome disc though.  The cover is also exactly the same as San Francisco's punk band Limp's "Guitarded"....weird!  Yes warren Haynes wrote the song and Leslie & Joe perform on it, from Joe's sessions.  Guitarded has several cuts taken from other releases of Leslie's.  I sure would like to see Joe & Leslie play this song together again one day! Have seen both play it separately within weeks of each other, and also saw Warren play it later! 

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

P.S.-the Andy version is "A New Day Yesterday LIVE" version, the same version which is available on "A New Day Yesterday LIVE" DVD and "A New Day Yesterday LIVE" CD.

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Lol, so Gregg Allman is completely out of the picture?

Allman's on it as well. The live version of Joe's is just Joe. And it completely cooks.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

What does Allman do?  As far as I can tell, the one singing is Joe, isn't it?

Allman sings the first "if wine and pills were hundred dollar bills, I might keep you satisfied" and then comes in with "if heartaches were nickels I'd be the richest fool alive." Joe sings the two lines inbetween that. Then on the last chorus, he sings the "if heartaches were nickels" line. Really not that much, frankly I wish he'd sung more than Leslie on that one. Leslie's great, but when it comes to vocals, Allman kicks his a**.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Thanks for the explanation. I'm finally able to form a mental picture of this.

It is a fine song.