Re: Albany Down

I don't know them 10 days ago. But i got the album to make a review for rootstime.be. Not over yet is an amazing album.
Great sound, excellent bass and drums, super voice and guitarplayer. Lookin' forward when they will come to Belgium or The Netherlands.
Walter from Belgium

retlawv wrote:

I don't know them 10 days ago. But i got the album to make a review for rootstime.be. Not over yet is an amazing album.
Great sound, excellent bass and drums, super voice and guitarplayer. Lookin' forward when they will come to Belgium or The Netherlands.
Walter from Belgium

Hi Walter - their debut album, South Of The City is a good listen too; especially the title track. They are a super "live" band and hope they get over your way soon; I think they'd go down a storm.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

last night on Paul Jones BBC Radio2 show he said:

"The band is on absolutely top form as usual and I continue to be massively impressed by Paul Muir, the vocalist.."
"WOW .. absolutely terrific!"

Check out the podcast here at 13.35m:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b020snf1

smile

22 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-09-16 04:30:24)

Guisborough - 14/9/13

Well, Kath and the team did a marvellous job, rebuilding the Football Club in time for a debut visit from the Albany Down lads, who proceeded to give the old place a good rattling.

I was just re-reading what I said about them 6 months ago, and they're scarcely the same band. Sedgefield I think were one of the first places to give the lads a shot at a full headline set, and while they were really good, they did get a bit raggy towards the end. However, at Guisborough, they talked the talk and walked the walk; tighter and more assured and delivered a blazing split set that topped the 2 hours.

As you'd expect, they aired most of their 2 albums, with few covers; Born Under A Bad Sign in the first half, and a Paul Turley guitar showcase Voodoo Chile in the 2nd. In the meantime, Paul Muir is growing into a vocalist to watch, putting everything he has into each song. And with Billy thundering along on the bass and Damien's boiling drums, this is now a band that's "locked-in". The second set puled out the 2 "heavy hitters", The Working Man and South Of The City, before the encore Johnny B Goode and Alright Now set people's feet afire.

Have to say, it was a disappointingly low turnout at Guisborough, especially compared to the previous show there; maybe they're a bit shy of newer bands, but Kath has a great ear, so just wait till word gets round and the lads visit again.

I hope to see them soon in Belgium or The Netherlands
Walter from Belgium

24 (edited by BillyBunter 2013-10-13 17:26:47)

Just wanted to share with you all a video from last nights gig in Wilbarston supporting Wishbone Ash. Hope you all enjoy! smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JWnETbL … d7jI6KxlVq

first batch of gigs for the new year...

jan 25th - skegness rock and blues festival. 6pm on the 'introducing stage'

jan 31st - headline show at london 100 club

feb 28th - headline show at  newcastle rock and blues club

mar 1st - norwich blues festival

mar 2nd - doncaster blues festival

mar 6th - playing at the garage in swansea

more getting booked for the rest of year so will update as and when their sorted smile

more details can be found at the following links....

https://www.facebook.com/albanydown/events

http://www.albanydown.com/gigs

Hey Billy,

Great shows you guys put on running up to Christmas; caught you at Hartlepool; numbers may have been down but you guys certainly whipped up a storm, especially rockin' out with Let It Snow, "Albany" style. Didn't expect Donna Peters from Planet Graffiti sitting in on the drums though.....

See you all on the road, sometime soon in 2014.

hey! yeah was a great night! smile glad you enjoyed the let it snow cover lol.

Yes! Donna is our new full time drummer now as damien left the band about 5 days before the gig in Guisborough. He decided to move back to leeds to be with his girlfriend, which sucked at the time. Luckily he manned the stool for us until we found a replacement in donna who we couldnt be happier with.

we have a busy 2014 planned. aiming to definately get to europe which im sure will please walter wink and maybe even stateside for a jaunt if all goes well! Have also begun work on songs for album number 3 which im very excited about too.

All in all, let the good times roll! lol

hope to see you at a show soon banshee!

28 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-01-07 08:26:14)

More than likely catch up with you all at Newcastle.

For those who didn't catch Albany Down at Christmas - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wJwT7BFNqA

Phil - try this one for size: Save Me  - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iVLMrJWkYE

Im Excited to announce our first gig in Belgium.

15th feb mols goes blues -Zaal "De Eendracht", Hannekestraat 7, 2480 Dessel, Belgium.

Cant wait!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUpuN8rvMhA

BillyBunter wrote:

Im Excited to announce our first gig in Belgium.

15th feb mols goes blues -Zaal "De Eendracht", Hannekestraat 7, 2480 Dessel, Belgium.

Cant wait!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUpuN8rvMhA

Mol goes blues with: Ian Siegal & Albany Down ... YES ... A gig I won't miss lol

The first thing that  i was thinking of when i heard that Ian  Siegal will comes to Mol. Was that i was almost sure that you will coming to Mol Eva.

retlawv wrote:

The first thing that  i was thinking of when i heard that Ian  Siegal will comes to Mol. Was that i was almost sure that you will coming to Mol Eva.

You can bet on it !!!
See you there Walter
lol

the first footage from our gig at the skegness great british rock and blues festival! Ive got to say, that was an awesome show to be a part of smile check it out below and share the love. wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdEWbQYkqxk

34 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-03-03 08:52:14)

Had a trip up to Newcastle Blues Club at the week-end to catch up with Paul T, Paul M, Billy & Donna, collectively known as Albany Down, and once again, had my ears pinned back by the gang on top form. The 2 Pauls were really giving it their all, giving each other space to do their thing, but combining where necessary to really power it out as well as some of the best guitar v vocalist sparing this side of Deep Purple in their hay day. meanwhile, Billy & Donna have tightened into a formidable power backline, that sound like the Mallard locomotive at full chat.

No big changes in the set from seeing them at Christmas, except no quick change into Christmas jumpers for Let It Snow encore, instead, tight for time, they came out and matched Trevor Sewell for N.East anthem by delivering a powerhouse Alright Now.

If this was a “warm-up” gig, pre the festivals at Norwich and Doncaster the later in the week-end, I can only imaging that they melted the stages on this sort of form. This band just keep getting hotter and tighter.

Hey all! Got a bunch of gigs lined up in the uk from now until Aug. Check 'em out! smile

29th April - London - The 100 Club

1st May - Manchester - Academy 3 /with the Brew
3rd May - Hartlepool - Belle vue Club /with the Brew
4th May - Newcastle - the Cluny 2 /with the Brew
8th May - Chesterfield - Real Time Live /with the Brew

10th May - Yeovil Blues Festival /with Wilko Johnson
11th May - St Ives Blues Festival /with Wilko Johnson

12th May - Oxford - the Art Bar /with the Brew
13th May - Cardiff - the Globe /with the Brew
14th May - Southampton - The Brooke /with the Brew
16th May - Doncaster - The Dome /with the Brew

6th June - Essex - The Touchline /with the Billy Walton Band
8th June - Coventry - The Arches /with the Billy Walton Band
10th June - Nottingham - The Maze /with the Billy Walton Band
11th June - Southsea - The Cellars /with the Billy Walton Band
12th June - Chislehurst - The Beaverwood Club /with the Billy Walton Band
13th June - Sutton - The Boom Boom Club /with the Billy Walton Band

14th June - Frome Blues Festival
15th June - Chester - The Live Rooms
21st June - Linton Blues Festival
6th July - Ampthill Festival

7th July - Wolverhampton - Robin 2 /with Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
8th July - Portsmouth - Guildhall /with Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
10th July - Holmfirth - The Picturedome /with Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
11th July - London o2 Shepherds Bush Empire!!! /with Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes

19th July - Bedford river festival

cheers everyone!

36 (edited by BansheeUK 2016-03-07 06:57:02)

Nipped over to Sedgefield R'n'B Club on Friday night to catch Albany Down's return visit after they shook the place 3 years ago. That was one of those gigs where you got a glimpse of the "lightning in the bottle"; this time round, there was no bottle, just the lightning. Paul T, Donna, Paul M & Billy have fused into a really tight and powerful band with their own sound and style of rockin' Blues in the best British tradition.

When announced, the gig was intended to have been the launch of album #3, but that has since been put back until sometime in May; however, the band seem to be well proud of their studio efforts and treated Sedgefield to probably every new track; and I have to say, each one was a killer. From the sounds of it, they've gone into the studio and consolidated everything that makes Albany Down. On first hearing, the stand-outs for me were Mr Hangman, with Paul M's rapid-fire lyrics to the fore, a powerful Revolution, which they used as a ballsy set-closer, and the track that closed the first half of the set, Home. Not that it meant there wasn't room for other AD favourites and a mighty encore of Not Over Yet.

Really, really good night with a band of 4 musicians reaching their stride, and striding in the same direction - for the top.

South of The City - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJc05E2rb8g