Topic: Open to Suggestions

My guitar knowledge is limited and researching it on my own is not proving to be very efficient, so I'm appealing to those who know their way around this topic.  I'm looking for a small-scale/student-sized/otherwise not very big or very heavy electric guitar for a little boy who appears to play lefty.  Any advice (or 'navice', as my non-English speaking grandfather would have said:-) or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

"The Blues is like a tonic for all that ails you."  BB King

Rock ON & Keep the Faith!

2 (edited by Fretwork 2007-05-20 11:11:45)

Re: Open to Suggestions

Hi Melissa,
Just my take on the left-handed thing.  Unless my students come to me already playing left-handed, I teach ALL of my students to play right-handed--lefties included.  Some of the benefits are that lefties already have dexterity in their left hands for fretting, not having to "flip" chord charts in their heads, and there are more right-handed guitars out there.  Chances are, when he goes to a friends house and there is a guitar laying around, it'll be a right-handed guitar so he'll actually be able to play it.

Also, depending on his age/size, a full-size electric may actually be appropriate.  Most of my students who play electric can handle a full-size by age nine--this of course can vary depending on the student.  The thin body style of most electrics, combined with the slimmer necks sometimes make them easier to handle than the 1/2 or 3/4 size acoustics.  I would also recommend a guitar strap, so it doesn't "slip away" on him.

Hope this helps.

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

Thanks, Fretwork.  Your input is very helpful, and I am not sure how to approach the lefty thing.  It does seem that playing that way would have some disadvantages.  He's still very young & small for his age, too, so I thought a smaller guitar would be a good starting point.  I hesitate to bring him somewhere to 'try on' 'cause I may never get him to leave!  We probably will have to, though.  Thanks again and write anytime.

Hello Melissa,

This is what we did with our son Tallan who started playing guitar at 5.

He started playing a full sized guitar right away.  He's arms were not long enough to reached the end of the neck, so we used a capo at the thrid fret.  You can adjust where you set the capo depending on his size and reach.

We found that one problem was finding a music store to even consider giving him lessons at 5, most told us he would have to be atleast 7-8 before the would sign him up.  If you have someone that will take time with him now that's GREAT, if not just keep talking with different stores and you'll find someone willing.  You could even ask them for a trail lesson and ask them to just give you a 15 minute lesson.  Most instuctors are worried that young kids don't have the attention span for 30 minutes.  So a 15 minute trail lesson will atleast give you a chance to really see: first, if the teacher is right for you and second, if your son is ready for lessons.

We started Tallan with 30 minute lessons and it wasn't enough so we added different instructors during the week to speed thing along.  Now he's taking lesson for an hour a couple of times a week.  It will all depend on your son's passion to learn and most importantly his willingness to practice.  Without pratcice, lessons are useless.

Another thing we found out is the 3/4 scale guitars don't like to stay in tune.  When Tallan's playing his 3/4, he's constantly retuning. 

Can't help you with the lefty thing but Fretwork is probably right.  The guitar industry seems to favor right handed players.  A lot more options.

IMHO, if you're afraid to take your son to try out some guitars because he might not leave, that means to me that he has a passion at a young age that most don't get til their teens. 

Don't listen to anyone when they tell you he's too young, if I did Tallan wouldn't be where he is today.  We are asked to sit in with bands all the time and he's only 7.  It's never to young for music.

You can find out more about Tallan at his website:  www.tallanlatz.com.

If you ever have any questions please let us know, we'll be happy to help.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Take Care,
Carl

Tallan "The T-Man" Latz
8 year old blues guitarist
www.tallanlatz.com
http://www.myspace.com/tallanlatz

Thanks, Carl.  I will email you.

the best guitar you can get is a Fender Strat.  I bought a mexican strat 12 years ago for $250 (I think they are $350 now) and I still play it.  Good for beginners

Ballgame wrote:

the best guitar you can get is a Fender Strat.  I bought a mexican strat 12 years ago for $250 (I think they are $350 now) and I still play it.  Good for beginners

Ballgame,

Did you buy that strat new?  If so, that would probably make it a '95.  You can tell from the serial number.  The mexican strats put out then were AMAZING!  Mine stays in my studio and has "worn" five professional paint jobs--all done by my husband.  If I can find the pictures, I'll attach them.  It is one of my favorite guitars and it stays in tune just as nicely as my American strats.  No kidding!

I have a couple friends who have them from that time as well.  We feel we really lucked out.  If you got one, hang on to it . . . not because they are worth any more than you paid them for, just 'cause they are great guitars.

Unfortunately, they don't make 'em like they used to.  I usually tell students if they want a nice strat to spend at least $400.

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

I'm a Lefty who plays Right -Handed. You have to use both hands, equally. So, I agree with the above posts.

A Mexi Strat is the way to go. Or a Peavey Raptor, if the Strat is too much. It's Strat shaped, with a Humbucker bridge PU.

Full size, if at all possible.

A parent should attend every lesson, from start to finish. This way, the parent can help the kid between lessons. This is mandatory for all of my students under 12 yrs. old.

Under 12 yrs. old, the kid may only want to play for a few months. I'd say that this is okay. Keep the experience a positive one. No forcing the kid. Gentle help with structuring practice is good. Beyond that, let the kid flake out if they want. In a couple more years, the kid will want to start again. If they have positive memories of their experiences.

Music is a real enriching thing. In too many ways to list them all. Sharing it with another person, is a wonderful experience.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

9 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2007-05-21 11:32:39)

1. get a full sized guitar - you cannot grow out of them
2. teach them to play right handed - it will pay off in the future.
3. Look into either strats or epiphone Les Paul.  Even Jay Turser has decent guitars on ebay (strat-copies and lespaul copies) you can get good quality for not a lot of $ching$

PS my best friend is a left and plays right handed.  He likes his dominant hand on the fretboard, and his 'dummy' right hand just strumming.  Also, my lefty girlfriend wanted a left handed guitar but ended up learning to play righty so she could play my guitars, or stum someone elses at a party or wherever...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Fretwork wrote:
Ballgame wrote:

Ballgame,

Did you buy that strat new?  If so, that would probably make it a '95.  You can tell from the serial number.  The mexican strats put out then were AMAZING!  Mine stays in my studio and has "worn" five professional paint jobs--all done by my husband.  If I can find the pictures, I'll attach them.  It is one of my favorite guitars and it stays in tune just as nicely as my American strats.  No kidding!

I have a couple friends who have them from that time as well.  We feel we really lucked out.  If you got one, hang on to it . . . not because they are worth any more than you paid them for, just 'cause they are great guitars.

Unfortunately, they don't make 'em like they used to.  I usually tell students if they want a nice strat to spend at least $400.

I also have a Mexi Strat that I've had pretty much since I started playing guitar... After these 8 or so years with it, I still play it all the time- it's nice and worn and plays and sounds better than any strat Fender is making today except for the Custom Shop ones- the only new strats I would buy now would be the Custom Shop strats (even the Mexi Custom Shop designed strats)- they're just worlds above and beyond standard mexi and american strats put out now...

just my $.02

Hope this helps some in your search...

Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

I was wondering...friends were jamming last night and one had a mandolin. It was light and small. I thought of your son. I don't know if the professionals would consider this a "no-no" but thought I'd throw it out there     Cathy

While I understand the fullsize arguement, I have another opinion.  The mini squire strat is half size, managable for a five year old(just bought one for my daugther's fifth birthday), and is much better quality that I'd expected for 99 bucks at guitar center.  Take it to a luthier, have him check the nut, frets, set it up, add new tuners if you must.  THe pickups are fine.  Save the bucks for a real guitar of their liking at age 8-9(or later, if they are small).  My full size guitars are unweidly for a little tike.  I think a big part of it is to give them something they can drag around under their own power.

DonR

Fretwork wrote:
Ballgame wrote:

Ballgame,

Wow yes it was 95.  I bought it at The House of Guitars (HOG) in Rochester NY.  You are right it is an amazing gitbox.  Mine stays in tune as well but takes a while to get in tune if I change tunings.  I love it