Topic: Joe , how you getting on with the in ear monitoring ??

Just wondering what it does for you musically ?

Re: Joe , how you getting on with the in ear monitoring ??

Its been really great.... I hear the band so much better and I think we are tighter and sounding better for it... My only regret is that I did not do it sooner...

Joe B

Wow.. First time you have answered my question !!  I'm a happy man
Glad you finally done it ,
By the way the new rig sounds amazing ,so smooth and and thick , makes me think tide about twice bout amps and my ev12ls!!  Why are speakers are you using??

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Its been really great.... I hear the band so much better and I think we are tighter and sounding better for it... My only regret is that I did not do it sooner...

Joe B

This is good news!! I've heard some people have had a hard time with the transition to in ears...

Guitars: 2002 Gibson R8, 2008 Gibson SG Standard, 1977 Fender Statocaster, 1979 el Degas Les Paul Custom, 2011 Epiphone JB Les Paul
Amps: 1982 Marshall 4010

Our band went to them a couple of years ago. It took a bit to get used to but now I can't stand playing live without them. You can customize your mix to perfection and everything is so clear. No lugging big monitors around that are loud as heck and bounce off the back brick wall at the club and wash the front of house mix. Then the fact that you can turn the overall volume mix down and it saves your ears. Loud monitors night after night are very, very hard on your hearing. IMO the in ears are the only way to go. Others certainly disagree, however, so to each their own.

Where do you start with this, and how much does it cost?

I have a standard 4 piece band... two guitar players, bass, drums.
Does everyone buy their own ear-monitor system, or is there a rack one that can handle all four members? The process is confusing to me especially if I want to head more of my guitar than anyone else, and the singer wants to hear his voice more than anything else???

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

For a four piece band you would need 4 separate packs and wireless units.  The key to going in-ears is to have your own mixing desk. This way everybody gets a separate balance of what they want. " The more me" rule usually applies. The key is to get the stage volume down allowing a fighting chance for the front house. I have seen in-ears work in a bunch of situations. It is still a bit tough to get used to but the good out weighs the bad for me.

Good Luck!

Joe B

The guitarist, in order to hear himself better, turns his amplifier up. The guitar player needs more monitor level to compete with the rest of the band. The cycle of escalating stage volume begins again.

It’s no surprise then that personal monitor systems, once tools used by huge touring acts and megachurches, are seen on stages large and small today, thanks to the fact that today’s systems are far more advanced and far less expensive than those in use just a few years ago.

But if you lack the luxury of a professional sound crew that includes a monitor engineer - and you’re curious about what it will take to get started – we’re here to guide you through the basics.
http://shurenotes.com/issue40/article.html

Every guitar player I know says their biggest issue with it is they have trouble hearing themselves.  Its not that they can't hear its that you loose that ability to feel the notes, so they end up using 1 ear monitor and leave the other out so they hear themselves.  We have been experimenting with a monitor preamp that basically does the same thing during our practice, and it too gives you your own personal mix but its not wireless and its not convenient to stop practice to turn knobs.  Plus with it being plugged in we had to buy extension cords to our 1/8th plugs ear buds so we could spread out.  This causes a lot of extra weight and cords to get tangled up.  So I opted out.  My opinion doesn't matter really but personally if your a weekend warrior like myself thats just another thing to setup and waste lots of money on.  Its great if your playing out a lot at big gigs paying lots of money, but those monitors that we already have paid for are pretty sweet and I'm not fighting myself with them.

I can only speak my opinion for the small time scene of playing in a club or something of the equivalent. I don't have a problem with what people spend their own money on and it is cool to have and use different gear and make your sound system and rig as pro as possible but I think at the levels a band should be playing at on the smaller scale, the use for in ear monitoring isn't necessary.

I see too many bands that are nothing more than 3, 4 or 5 people in a group all playing as individuals instead of a band. Therein lies the problem of volume issues. You can survive without even stage monitors and use a single ear plug to help hear yourself sing but overall when all the members of a band respect each others time to to play by backing off there volume etc and using DYNAMICS, the ship sails much smoother. And also, hearing protection is never a bad idea, and in ears do provide that I guess as long as you're not cranking the volume!

As far as large scale stage operations with super sized volumes, echos, and hearing the snare drum hit when you don't see the drummer hitting it, in ear monitoring is perfect.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

For a four piece band you would need 4 separate packs and wireless units.  The key to going in-ears is to have your own mixing desk. This way everybody gets a separate balance of what they want. " The more me" rule usually applies. The key is to get the stage volume down allowing a fighting chance for the front house. I have seen in-ears work in a bunch of situations. It is still a bit tough to get used to but the good out weighs the bad for me.

Good Luck!

Joe B

Joe may I ask what brand of in ear ear pieces you're using? JH Audio I'm guessing? How does it affect your guitar tone as far as sounding good or thin?

Thanks, Josh