1 (edited by olivefarmer 2012-10-30 09:13:07)

Topic: Laurence Jones

Check out this kid from Stratford upon Avon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8XAUdOCgq0

Re: Laurence Jones

..............if you can get the link to work. Seems a bit flaky.

It took some time before it did eventually open then the dreaded stutter buffer. I'll try again later

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Has support slots with Royal Southern Brotherhood & Buddy Whittington coming up.

5 (edited by BansheeUK 2012-11-19 10:19:42)

Caught the fresh-faced, fleet-fingered flibbertygibbet over the week-end, at Sedgefield, opening for Buddy Whittington. Have to say, quite impressed. Got a good, solid set of his own material from his album: the title track, Thunder In The Sky being a good showcase number for Laurence. He was called back for an encore, for which he rattled through Killing Floor. He was later invited up on stage by Buddy Whittington for a jam to close the first half of his set, and boy did he give a good account of himself.

Definitely a one to watch out for; kinda reminds me of younger Davy Knowles. Certainly was getting some interest from a couple of local promoters after his set, so hopefully we'll see a bit more of him here in the N.East, and get to see a full set.

Mike

Edit:  Try these from earlier in the year:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHaFfUaGfQc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NdI7StDFdk

And if that's whetted your appetites, here's some upcoming dates you can catch him:-

Fri, 23 Nov 2012 9:00pm the rolleston Swindon
Fri, 30 Nov 2012 9.00pm Fire Engine - Bristol 
Fri, 7 Dec 2012 10.45pm Cafe Rene - Gloucester
Sat, 8 Dec 2012 9.pm Brasenose Arms - Cropredy
Fri, 14 Dec 2012 8.00pm The Musician - Leicester - supporting Aynsley Lister
Sat, 15 Dec 2012 9pm The Brown lion - Birmingham
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 8:00pm The Robin 2 - Supporting Mike Sanchez
Sun, 23 Dec 2012 4pm Wig and Pen - Northampton
Thu, 3 Jan 2013 9:00pm The Hop Pole Inn - Bromsgrove
Fri, 4 Jan 2013 9:00pm Tubbys Blues Club - Cheltenham
Wed, 9 Jan 2013 8.30pm The Malt Shovel Tavern - Northampton
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 9.00pm The Great Malvern Hotel - Malvern
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 9:00pm Newbury Rock and Blues Club
Sat, 26 Jan 2013 TBC Skegness Rock & Blues Festival - 26th/27th TBC
Fri, 15 Feb 2013 8.30pm Red Hot Blues - Didcot more info
Sat, 30 Mar 2013 9:00pm Waggon and Horses - Wootton Bassett

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Olivefarmer gets the credit for bringing Laurence Jones to the forum's attention and have to say, he caught my ear back in November when he opened for Buddy Whittington for 2 nights at Sedgefield R'n'B Club. Laurence was chosen for the gig on the recommendation of Danny Bryant, so in that sort of company, I'm going to add my twopenn'eth and make him my other one-to-watch in 2013. Check him out if you're near any of these dates:-

Sat, 19 Jan 2013 9.00pm The Great Malvern Hotel - Malvern
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 9:00pm Newbury Rock and Blues Club
Sat, 26 Jan 2013 2pm Skegness Rock & Blues Festival - 2pm - The Blues Stage
Sat, 2 Feb 2013 9:00pm The Hop Pole Inn - Bromsgrove
Sat, 9 Feb 2013 9.00pm Keystones - Worcester
Sun, 10 Feb 2013 4:00pm Lichfield Vaults - Hereford
Fri, 15 Feb 2013 8.30pm Red Hot Blues - Didcot
Sat, 16 Feb 2013 9.00pm The Victoria - Hitchin
Sat, 2 Mar 2013 9:00pm Crew - Nuneaton - with Chantel McGregor TBC
Sun, 3 Mar 2013 TBC Doncaster Blues Festival
Sat, 9 Mar 2013 8.00pm Sydenham Blues Club - London
Sun, 24 Mar 2013 6:00pm Banbury Blues, Roots and Acoustic Festival - Mill Arts Centre
Sat, 30 Mar 2013 9:00pm Waggon and Horses - Wootton Bassett
Fri, 5 Apr 2013 9:00pm The Hop Pole Inn - Bromsgrove
Sat, 6 Apr 2013 8.00pm Borough Blues Club - South Wales
Sat, 13 Apr 2013 9:00pm the rolleston Swindon
Fri, 26 Apr 2013 8.00pm Arlington Arts Centre - With Chantel McGregor
Thu, 2 May 2013 8.00pm The Maltings - Farnham - with Danny Bryant
Fri, 3 May 2013 8.00pm The Star Inn - Bentworth - Hampshire
Sat, 11 May 2013 TBC Mainsforth Blues festival
Sat, 18 May 2013 TBC Stourbridge Blues Festival
Fri, 24 May 2013 8.00pm Sydenham Blues Club - London
Sat, 8 Jun 2013 8.00pm Guisborough Blues Club
Sun, 23 Jun 2013 around 2:00pm Linton Blues festival
Sat, 20 Jul 2013 around 4:00pm Upton Blues festival - at The Star Inn
Thu, 8 Aug 2013 9:00pm The Hop Pole Inn - Bromsgrove
Fri, 16 Aug 2013 9:00pm Bentworth Blues Festival

Mike

Cheers BansheeUK. I'm usually catching up on artists recommended by others so it's nice to get in first.

The gigs with Chantel McGregor should be worth travelling a long way to see - but not from here in  Greece unfortunately.

BansheeUK wrote:

Edit:  Try these from earlier in the year:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHaFfUaGfQc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NdI7StDFdk

Very cool. Love his tone. As I mentioned in a comment on youtube, the true measure of quality is the ability to perform live as a 3 piece and deliver a tight, full, cohesive product. Good stuff!

I saw them supporting Royal Southern Brotherhood last year and they were really good. The album is excellent, up there with the best of new young British talent.
They also won their heat for the New Brunswick Battle of the Blues competition last Friday, the final is in London on the 26th March. Some people might be at The Borderline that night but this would be a good alternative.

10 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-06-10 09:14:10)

What is it about that big, yellow, shiny thing that occasionally appears in the sky around this time of year that brings out the primitive in people that they rush out into their gardens to give up burnt offerings to it – or as the Americans and Australians call it “have a barbeque”. I have to believe it was this return to paganism and not the fact it was the finale of Britain’s Got Talent that accounted for the disappointingly low turn-out at Guisborough R’n’B Club on Saturday night for Laurence Jones’ headline gig.

Still, it may only have been a half turn out for Guisborough, but it sounded like it was the noisy half that turned out. With no support, Laurence & band; Luke on bass and new face Tobe on drums came out just after 9pm and delivered a hot first set, starting with a couple of pacy  blues shuffles before flicking the switch to rock. For 45 -50 minutes, the lads delivered a bouncy mix of older and new originals balanced with a couple of well chosen standards, including All Along The Watchtower which you have to ask, is that a Hendrix or a Dylan cover; especially when to my ears it leaned a little toward U2’s Rattle And Hum take.....

So, first half down; as usual, the sound at Guisborough was superbly handled for a small venue. Laurence was in good voice and his Telecaster was sounding good; reminiscent of Davy Knowles or Oli Brown, and if Oli is turning his attention Stateside, like Davy, then Laurence has found his niche. Tobe on drums was crisp and sharp while the sound mix allowed Luke on bass to stand out; on the whole, the three lads make a pretty tight unit.

After the customary refreshment and raffle break, the lads were back on, and this was the crunch; I’ve twice seen Laurence deliver powerful support sets, but did he have enough in his tank for headliner? In short, yes. The earlier set was the “teaser” compared to this. The skinny-jeaned scallywag stepped it up a gear and plundered his album and went full on for the title track showcase Thunder In The Sky. Then he brought things down(?) with a juiced-up Steeler’s Wheel cover with audience sing-a-long before a double-encore ending with Voodoo Chile winding up a dynamic 70 minute set.

So, one album in, can Laurence Jones deliver, as a headliner?  Hell yes! And he’s already got a guitar case full of new stuff, so looking forward to album #2. As for Britain’s Got Talent, well, why watch it on TV when you can find gigs like this on the doorstep,  where a British Blues Awards Young Artist nominee is playing while another nominee in the same category, Andrew Pipe is in the audience enjoying the music.

Laurence has a pretty comprehensive rosta of gigs coming up between now and Christmas; supporting or headlining, this is an upcoming young band worth catching...

June 2013
Jun16 - The Highway Inn Beer Festival - Burford - 3pm
Jun22 - The Bridge Inn Blues Festival - Brewood - 9:00pm
Jun23 - Linton Festival - around 2:00pm
Jun26 - Academy of music & Sound - L.J Band Master class - Birmingham -
Jun29 - Napton Festival - 7.30pm - tbc

July 2013
Jul05 - The Castle Inn - Swindon - 9pm
Jul06 - Braised Nose Arms - Cropredy - 9pm
Jul13 - The Greystones - Sheffield - 8.45pm
Get to the gig early and don't miss the brilliant Blues/Rock Band "Dosch"- who will be opening up for us. These guys are great and you are in for a treat
Jul20 - Upton Blues festival - at The Star Inn - around 4:00pm
Jul25 - Maryport Blues festival - rugby league club -
Jul26 - Maryport Blues Festival - sailors return -
Jul27 - Maryport Blues Festival - Labour Club -

August 2013
Aug01 - The Hop Pole Inn - Bromsgrove - 9:00pm
Aug03 - Cambridge Rock Festival - 6.20 STAGE 2 -
Aug04 - Gloucester Blues Festival - 4.30pm
Aug07 - Kelly's Bar - Leamington Spa - Laurence Jones & Friends - 8.30pm
This is a brilliant venue run by Mr Steve Walwyn (Dr Feelgood). Steve has kindly given us one of his "Kelly's Nights". Laurence Jones Band will be inviting some of their great musician friends to make the night even more special.
Aug09 - The Grapes - Stafford - 9.pm
Aug14 - The Malt Shovel Tavern - Northampton - 8.30pm
Aug16 - Bentworth Blues Festival - 7:00pm

September 2013
Sep06 - Newark Blues Festival - 6.50pm
Sep09 - Citadel - St Helens - supporting The Hoax - 7.30pm
Sep11 - Cafe Rene - Gloucester - 8.45pm
Sep20 - Red Hot Blues - Didcot - 8.30pm
Sep21 - Hare & hounds - kings heath - AFTERNOON GIG
Sep22 - Clowne Rock and Blues Club - Clowne - 8.30pm

October 2013
Oct03 - The Robin 2 - Supporting Pat Travers Band -8pm - 8pm
Oct10 - The Punch Bowl - Warwick - 9:00pm
Oct12 - The Court Theatre - Pendley - Tring - tbc
Oct13 - POLISH CLUB - BARNSLEY - 8.30pm
Oct26 - The Millennium Hall - Horton-cum-Studley - Oxford - 7.30pm
Oct27 - The Diamond - Sutton -in- Ashfield (Nottinghamshire) - 9.PM
Oct31 - The Maltings - Farnham - Surrey - 8.45pm

November 2013
Nov03 - The Lichfield Vaults - Hereford - 4pm
Nov06 - The Robin 2 - Bilston - NEW GENERATION BLUES TOUR - 8.30pm
The 3 Best young artists - Laurence Jones Band + Mitch Laddie + Federal Charm
Nov08 - O2 Shepherds Bush Empire - London - Supporting Walter Trout - 7.30pm
Nov09 - The Hooley Hall - supporting The Proof - surrey - 7pm
Nov16 - Patriot Club - Caerphilly -NEW GENERATION BLUES TOUR -8.30pm
The 3 best young artists, Laurence Jones Band + Mitch Laddie + Federal Charm
Nov17 - Prince of Wales -Ledbury - 4.pm
Nov21 - Beaverwood - Chislehurst - NEW GENERATION BLUES TOUR - 8.30pm
The 3 best young artists - Laurence Jones Band + Mitch Laddie + Federal Charm
Nov29 - Limelight Club - Aylesbury - NEW GENERATION BLUES TOUR - 8.30pm
The 3 best young artists, Laurence Jones Band + Mitch Laddie + Federal Charm

Laurence is back up in the N.East, making good on an appearance he had to cancel earlier in the year: November 15th, he’s doing a double-header with Russ Tippins Electric Band at Mainsforth (Ferryhill) Community Centre. Durham

Tickets on door or from Colin's Fish Bar (next door). More info Contact: 07814965724

12 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-11-18 05:20:25)

You’ve got to feel for poor Willie at Mainsforth; he spent most of last week re-doing the paintwork that Aynsley’s show blazed off, than along comes Laurence, aided and abetted by Russ Tippins, and Willei’s got to start again.

This gig had that “Obi Wan and Young Skywalker” vibes to it. Russ is a consummate pro, as well as a true gent, and he and his Electric Band took the stage first and laid some ol’ school rockin’ blues as only Russ can deliver; mixing his own Little Josephine and other material with some mighty Led Zepp covers as well as a romping showcase, Poncho.

So, what’s Laurence’s reply? As usual, he sets himself, Luke and Tobe get their heads down and they go for it. This approach keeps bums on seats and Laurence has patter to win over the audience, enough to bring on a “sing-a-long”, his own, interesting take on Steeler’s Wheel - Stuck In The Middle. Then, he invites Russ up on stage, and while Russ is tuning up, Laurence teases us with licks from Oh Well, before the two of them wrong foot us by launching into Bullfrog Blues, Russ taking lead guitar and Laurence puling his voice up from his boots. Then they dove into Hoochie Coochie Man, trading some hot leads between them, proving Laurence has a great rooting in blues.

That jam caused some spontaneous dancing to break out in Mainsforth, and Laurence made sure for the most part of his remaining set that they stayed on their feet with tracks like his own Bad Girl and especially when Tobe on drums hammered out the into to Rock and Roll. Think Tobe was mesmerised by one dancer; a 6ft tall woman, with 5ft long hair; imaging that head-banging...The only time the dancing stopped was when Thunder In The Sky caused jaw-bones to drop from those who’d not seen Laurence before.

Laurence is another one, heading off into the studio shortly, this time over to Louisiana to record with Mike Zito at the helm, and he treated us to a couple of new songs that are hopefully album bound, as well as an extra encore of Voodoo Chile.

Have to say, even with local legend Russ appearing, the overall audience was big; only around 50, but Laurence, Luke and Tobe certainly won them over, so hopefully word will get round for next time for this crackin’ band.

Just read, not only is Laurence off to Louisiana to record with Mike Zito in the production chair, but will be joined in the studio by Royal Southern Brotherhood's rhythm section Yonrico Scott & Charlie Wooten. AND, couple of guest cameo spots from Walter Trout and Aynsley Lister.

That's gonna be a mighty rad gumbo.

He has already recorded a couple of tracks

Should be a good CD on 2014

15 (edited by Curby 2013-12-09 19:12:00)

BansheeUK wrote:

Just read, not only is Laurence off to Louisiana to record with Mike Zito in the production chair, but will be joined in the studio by Royal Southern Brotherhood's rhythm section Yonrico Scott & Charlie Wooten. AND, couple of guest cameo spots from Walter Trout and Aynsley Lister.

That's gonna be a mighty rad gumbo.

Looks like he's getting the Samantha Fish treatment and deservedly so imo.  Kid's somebody to watch.

From the interview in Blues, looks like RUF are looking to Laurence to take over where Oli Brown has left off since his contract with the label has expired.

He may have skinny shoulders, but he's more than got the talent & drive to rise to the challenge; and he's a really pleasant guy off-stage. Heard a couple of the songs as "works in progress" over the last few months, and the album's already on my shopping list for 2014.

BansheeUK wrote:

From the interview in Blues, looks like RUF are looking to Laurence to take over where Oli Brown has left off since his contract with the label has expired.

He may have skinny shoulders, but he's more than got the talent & drive to rise to the challenge; and he's a really pleasant guy off-stage. Heard a couple of the songs as "works in progress" over the last few months, and the album's already on my shopping list for 2014.

I think they'll be hoping for better. Here I Am did not sell as well as Oli's earlier releases.

I look forward to hearing Lawrence's album with interest. Lawrence will be part of the Blues Caravan 2014 which will also feature the superb Albert Castiglia and Christina Skjolberg from Norway.

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

18 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-04-23 03:56:29)

One thing I really like about Laurence Jones, he relishes a challenge, especially here in the N.East. I mean, the first time I saw him, he was going toe-to-toe with no less than Buddy Whittington. Another time, he was doing Led Zeppelin covers while Russ Tippins was on the sound desk. So, last Friday, for his debut in Hartlepool, on a double-header with town favourites The Blueflies, even armed with a spankin' new album we thought Laurence was going to have to be on the top of his game, but he brings along a new, almost "mint in box" drummer.

Getting the party started, The Blueflies were up and running, always a popular band in the town and with a couple of carloads of fans in the house, they really served up a hot mix of something old, new, certainly borrowed and plenty Blues (couldn't tell you the last time I even heard "Dimples") that got Belle Vue Club in a proper holiday mood, and held them for over an hour.

So, how was the Stratford kid going to reply to that. Did I mention he had a spankin' new album to tour? That's exactly what he did, he gave Hartelpool a good "spanking", especially when you've got the choice of Foolin' Me or Move On as openers. And I'll say now, I may have my misgivings about Move On on the album, but on stage, it's a beast of a number. Two songs in, and Laurence achieved the near unthinkable, he had dancers, and with songs like Soul Swamp River and Termptation which he dedicated to his "partner" on the track, Walter, he kept them going. Things did slow down for a while, Tomorrow Is Another Day and one of only 2 covers on the night, BB King's The Thrill Is Gone, which Laurence really flexed his blues muscle and made some jaws drop, and a closing All Along The Watchtower.

2nd set opened subtly, Laurence on his own with the Fender, starting Whisper In the Wind, building and building until re-joined by Luke on Bass and newbie Kev on drums, turning the "whisper" to a howl and the "wind" up to storm force. Laurence now certainly had the Hartlepool audience on his side for the set, and hit them for six again, this time with the ever powerful Thunder In The Sky and the seemingly effortless Summer Breeze. That got feet stomping and glasses thumping for a well deserved encore which turned out to be my personal favourite (and not an easy choice) from Temptation, Fall From The Sky, and I'm sure my ol' ears heard a little touch of the "Freebirds" in the outro.

Indeed, Laurence rose to the challenge and met Hartlepool head-on and won; aided an abetted as ever by Luke on Bass who somehow manages to find even the smallest gaps in Laurence's playing and shines through. As for new boy Kev on the drums - incredibly his first gig with Laurence and only a couple of hours rehearsal? He'd already set up a great rapport with Luke, they really played well off each other and really gave Laurence some bite. In all, Laurence's sound has "shifted" to more "gritty" and "rockier", but without falling back on the LOUD pedal: definitely a more "Texas" sound that makes me wonder, is Laurence from Stratfod-on-Avon or the one in Sherman County, TX?

The "Temptation of Laurence Jones? On this sort of form, I'd recommend giving in to it; I'd even stick my neck out and say Laurence is soon going to draw comparisons to Gary Moore.