Re: Joe playing on Dereks S. new CD

the Oceana album is truly great......highly recommended stuff.

20 (edited by gary 2012-10-23 08:21:52)

ohiodawg13 wrote:
gary wrote:
ohiodawg13 wrote:

Love to hear Joe break out some jazz licks. That beats the hell outta BCC imo. OK, rage on over that comment all you want.

Jazz Joe Rocks Too!!!

J Dawg

WTF Dawg. You plays something different,and its a jab at BCC? Ya I took the bait.

Just not into Glenn's style, simple as that. Don't dig metal edged hard rock, is that a crime????

Bluesrock is Cool!!!

J Dawg

No crime .I know some here arent BCC fans.Wouldnt expect to change anyones mind there.Ya Blues rock is cool !!!! Just got a rub the wrong way on the BCC putdown thats all.We cool Dawg.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

21 (edited by ohiodawg13 2012-10-23 08:20:50)

gary wrote:
ohiodawg13 wrote:
gary wrote:

WTF Dawg. You plays something different,and its a jab at BCC? Ya I took the bait.

Just not into Glenn's style, simple as that. Don't dig metal edged hard rock, is that a crime????

Bluesrock is Cool!!!

J Dawg

No crime .I know some here arent BCC fans.Wouldnt expect to change anyones mind there.Ya Blues rock is cool !!!! Just got a rub the wrong way on the BCC putdown thats all.

Cool! Not meant as putdown, just not my thang.

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

airportdon wrote:

This is very cool & interesting....... I Will have to check this out for sure ...:)            (I am an old fusion fan as well )

Remembering Mahavishnu Orchestra @ Berkeley Community Theater 11-9-1972, enlightening to say the least. First lazer light show we'd seen too. Billy Cobham, just a BLUR!!! John McLaughlin on guitar & Jan Hammer on keys.

Fusionization Sensation!!!

J Dawg

What is success? Is it do yo' own thang, or is it to join the rest?   -Allen Toussaint

Playing reminded me a lot of Steve Morse in the early Steve Morse Band era! Well done Joe!

ohiodawg13 wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Man.... This session was one of the most challenging of my career.   To be in the studio with Derek Sherinian and Simon Phillips as daunting.   A huge thanks to Both Derek and Simon for getting me through it..  I learned a lot.  Oceana is a killer record... Highly recommended ...
Joe B

Always up for something fresh and different. Brings back memories of Sea Level, Southern rockers moving in a jazz direction, heavy on Chuck Leavell's keyboartds with a little funk thrown in too.

Jazz It Up,

J Dawg

Oh my gosh, had not thought of Sea Level and Chuck Leavell since I was in  college a lonnnnnnnng time ago.  I loved their first album the best.  Still have it on vinyl.  All my friends thought I had lost my mind  when I started listening to them.  They were all digging disco at the time, OMG.

I just listened to excerpts of the whole album  by Derek, I like all of it.  But I kind of like fusion.

wvgirlinky wrote:
ohiodawg13 wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Man.... This session was one of the most challenging of my career.   To be in the studio with Derek Sherinian and Simon Phillips as daunting.   A huge thanks to Both Derek and Simon for getting me through it..  I learned a lot.  Oceana is a killer record... Highly recommended ...
Joe B

Always up for something fresh and different. Brings back memories of Sea Level, Southern rockers moving in a jazz direction, heavy on Chuck Leavell's keyboartds with a little funk thrown in too.

Jazz It Up,

J Dawg

Oh my gosh, had not thought of Sea Level and Chuck Leavell since I was in  college a lonnnnnnnng time ago.  I loved their first album the best.  Still have it on vinyl.  All my friends thought I had lost my mind  when I started listening to them.  They were all digging disco at the time, OMG.

I just listened to excerpts of the whole album  by Derek, I like all of it.  But I kind of like fusion.

I have their first 2 on vinyl of course. Figured they would sound just like ABB, but was pleasantly surprised.

Shake A Leg Momma!

J Dawg

26 (edited by MrSticky 2012-10-25 06:29:19)

Very tasty!  Love Simon Phillips' work, especially 801 Live although his discography reaches far and wide.  Derek has a winner with Oceana, great stuff per usual from him and of course Joe hittin' on all cylinders.

ohiodawg13 wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B

Jazz It Up,

J Dawg

I love me some Sea Level! Cats on the Coast is one of my faves and is on my playlist fairly frequently!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

I bought all of those CD's Stefan, I think there were 3, well maybe I didn't have one. They are all excellent. I'm sure I would enjoy the whole of Oceana, will endeavor to obtain it ASAP. I also loved Chuck and Sea Level, but it was a long time ago and don't remember too many songs. stellar piano man.

stefanhauk wrote:

Playing reminded me a lot of Steve Morse in the early Steve Morse Band era! Well done Joe!

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Excellant listen.  Been awhile since I purchased a no-vocal cd.....and it's still in the car changer.  Joe's contribution is something to be proud of

Bonaburst #18, JB Epi #191, MusicMan Darklord, LP Cherryburst Traditional Plus, Gigliotti GT, Takamine, Takamine 12 string, Martin D-28 & GPCPA1, Fender Amer STD Strat, Fender Custom Shop Gold Metalflake, Custom "OSU" Wagner Tele, Gibson SG Limited Govt Model, Jim Kelly Combo

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe B

Daunting understood Joe, and you are probably understating your concerns.  Derek and Simon are both genius, together, even doubled geniousity!!  I would also highly recommend Black Utopia as a standout among outstanding catalog by Derek Sherinian. wink It ain't tap dancing music....

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

31 (edited by Rocket 2012-10-26 08:51:33)

J Dawg wrote:

Jazz It Up,

J Dawg

One track not characteristic of Derek by far!!! Per your quote:
"Don't dig metal edged hard rock, is that a crime????" (Ha ha I agree River Cat, Breakin' the law, breakin' the law! tongue)

Anyway J, you likely aren't up for much of Derek's solo projects....He gets into metal edged (progressive) rock, and add emphasis to metal-edged (and LOUD, scorching) rock.   The last few seconds of Black Utopia might help though! lol NEVA get it! Unless you get it! lol

Rock Edged-Metal Guru Vee Faith Shy Stirrer,
Rocket

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

PSmith1946-A bit of a Camel thing going on there- Hmm, what tune you thinking it sounds like?  I am with hullfandan, sounds like Jeff Beck, a la There And Back (don't forget Simon Philiips played on that album wink), or even a little Freeway Jamish, tonality, not vibe...

wvgirlinky-I think Derek and Joe sound great together no matter what genre I agree...and I did not have friends who were into disco thank goodness smile, although I "got" the punchy kick and excitable hi-hat sound-hell, who didn't?  It was pervasive outside the genre for a good spell...

Jane H.-most of the fans who like BCC, also like all of Joe's works.-I second that suggestion, and as you said, it has been out a year already, so we'll call it "latest"...Jane H.-a high preference on rock from me, sure, pleas for more of what i call best -Jane you should check out more of Derek...unless the leanings toward other directions and heavy Keyboards aren't really your thing...

Devan-I thought it was a collaboration between Joe and Derek TRUCKS!!!-Yup ,me too, along with Jane, thought one might've slipped by me!  They DID do a great jam (LIVE) at the Hot August Blues 2009. 

Bill S- ah yes Cats On The Coast, the better of their two albums (did they get to 3??can't recall) by far I thought...

Rock UN & Keep the Fuse In, No Refusin', No Fooling, But Refueling Faith,
Rocket

If I could remember I would put it on. Just skimmed Moonmadness and Snow Goose, not them, may just be a memory from a long  lost live show mid 70's.

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

34 (edited by Rocket 2012-10-26 12:06:37)

PSmith1946 wrote:

If I could remember I would put it on. Just skimmed Moonmadness and Snow Goose, not them, may just be a memory from a long  lost live show mid 70's.

I have faith you'll come up with it with a cup o' tea and a head drive search engine!

I might have to be Watson to your Holmes on the search...something made me think you might be onto something.

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

35 (edited by Don&Jocelyn 2012-10-29 17:28:47)

Devan wrote:

Ha! When I read the title, I thought it was a collaboration between Joe and Derek TRUCKS!!!

Now that is a gig I would like to see... smile cool

Agreed, Devan! But then, we actually SAW Joe jam with Derek at Hot August Blues a few years back.

And yes, it was awesome! smile

Don&Jocelyn wrote:
Devan wrote:

Ha! When I read the title, I thought it was a collaboration between Joe and Derek TRUCKS!!!

Now that is a gig I would like to see... smile cool

Agreed, Devan! But then, we actually SAW Joe jam with Derek at Hot August Blues a few years back.

And yes, it was awesome! smile

And of course he jammed with DT in the R and R hall o fame show along side of Dusty Hill!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky