Re: Joe's New Rig

Is this his official rig or just his Europe rig? I saw him playing this in Hamburg and i was surprised that there wheren't any Silver Jubis. I just concluded that he didn't wanna bring his main rig to Europe because of his previous run-ins with airline companies.

“Clapton came up to me and asked ‘How the hell do you do that?’ talking about my vibrato. “And I said, ‘You must be joking!’”

- Paul Kossoff

Zen Guitar wrote:

In terms of Greenbacks versus EV's... These are VERY different speakers. They sound very different, handle power very differently, and react to high volumes very differently.

I think if you are considering replacing your current speakers to go with your AFD head, a good strategy would be to first consider what speakers you are currently using and what you like and don't like about them. Besides frequency response/tone, consider how much compression you want or don't want as volume increases, whether speaker breakup is something you want or not, whether you'd like a speaker that is less efficient (quieter) or more efficient (louder) at the same amp settings, and how much wattage you need them to handle (remember that a 100w head can put out much more than 100w at full volume when overdriving).

Besides Joe, whose tones do you like and possibly wish to emulate?

Currently I have a couple of G12 T 75 in my cab... They don't sound bad, but i would like a darker cab, with round and soft high frequency. I really doubt I will ever run my Afd at full volume... Maybe half if I'm lucky...

The big deal in Creambacks vs EVMs is that celestion would cost exactly a half

Creambacks are finally my excuse to sell the G12 Century speakers out my THD 2x12. They are great speakers...but I'm looking for lower sensitivity and a woodier bark. Anyone on here in the UK wanting a pair of Century Neo speakers for half price?

Superfede92 wrote:

Currently I have a couple of G12 T 75 in my cab... They don't sound bad, but i would like a darker cab, with round and soft high frequency. I really doubt I will ever run my Afd at full volume... Maybe half if I'm lucky...

The big deal in Creambacks vs EVMs is that celestion would cost exactly a half

Based off what you wrote, I do not think that EVM 12L's are at all what you are looking for. Too hi-fi and too stiff. Not dark at all. They need a lot of volume to open up, in my opinion. Greenbacks, in comparison to you G12T-75's, will be looser in the bottom end, much more midrange focused, with a softer top end. They will compress with volume and beak up early. The Creambacks, I have not tried, but have read that they are similar in tone to the Greenbacks but with a tighter bottom end and higher wattage handling.

Hope this helps!

Is this his official rig or just his Europe rig? I saw him playing this in Hamburg and i was surprised that there wheren't any Silver Jubis. I just concluded that he didn't wanna bring his main rig to Europe because of his previous run-ins with airline companies.

yeah its his official rig. he made a few changes to the picture with the friedmann, Marshall PA and that other two which might be 1987x or jtm 45s. in Germany he replaced the P.A With an old Marshall super lead plexi.

From where do you guys know he´s running a dsl in the back. From what i´ve read he said that the friedman is basicly like a silver Jub. but a bit more exact. So i would guess he´s using the Friedman as a main amp.

Correct me if i`m wrong big_smile

Joe usually keeps two rigs. One for Europe and one for the US-North America