Re: Joe's New Rig

DaveWammbarro wrote:

There are dozens of cool speakers out there. The EV aren't the be all end all.
Same that a Les Paul is not the be all end all.
Nor 11-52 strings.
You don't always need a wet/dry rig with reverb and delay...

Have fun and find some good tones for you...there is so much to try out there.

Sooooo true! And let's not forget there are a ton of different types of picks out there also.

Although as soon as I started using Jazz 3's and got used to them I couldn't go back to 'normal picks'.

Planet Waves Black Ice Picks (heavy) for me. Just a wee bit bigger than a Jazz 3 and not as thick.

Just recovered from the Ft Wayne show......Took my Son and Daughter (17-22)  It was a proud moment when my son noticed the Diaz head in Joe's rig!!   There is hope for the future!!!!!  Awesome show...Thanks again Joe!!!

Nice find with that SG!!!   How did I miss that!!!!

Jazz III XL for me...sometimes quite hard to find if you're not buying online.

It took me some time to get used to a somewhat different grip needed for those small picks but every now and then I go back to the dunlop 1.5mm derlins. Depends on my mood.

Love them but they wear down quick. I'd go through a handful a night cause I like them sharp and fresh. I do like that the JazzIIIs stay sharp after a millions uses. Heck, I've had some that are over a year old and still sharp.

I intentionally take the sharpness off my Jazz III's. While sitting here in my apartment about 2 weeks ago, I decided to take sandpaper to one of them and I absolutely love the tone-very organic and liquidy (not that the stock ones aren't).

I used to use the big thick purple dunlops a long time ago - and even longer ago I used to use fender mediums! I'd break about 2 a day, haha.

"The way I like to look at it is....if that's the last time I ever got to play, I'd better give it everything I've got." -SRV

So what's the main amp now?

Looks like a Friedman DS and a Super Lead…

the new rig sound just awesome.
I´ve heard it in Hannover Germany two days ago. As soon as the first chord of Slow Train hit my ear it instantly blew my head of.
Not in Terms of Volume but in Terms of Clarity, Definition and Fatness.
Even though i had place in the middle of the hall.
As they started the Encores i went left my seet and went straight to the stage.
it was just pure magic.
So it seems like now he´s runnin the Friedman(does it have an fx Loop?) with delay etc. cause he seems like an amp distortion guy. But what about the Marshall that thing does not have a MV so it had to be freakin loud but it wasn´t...
so still confused. Hope someone can help out.

Benedikt-Schlereth, TREASURE strikes again! (the FB1)

Joe is back to basics he said recently. TS and delay only. Wah for a couple of songs and volume pedal for the theremin.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Back to basic? How many amps is basic?

Wait a minute guys, cause I'm driving crazy! So...

I saw Joe live the 2nd of March in padova playing with this rig and it sounded @#$%^^&# awesome!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/19/5u7ema6u.jpg

As you can hear in this video I made that night:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hq3YhDV1yi8

So know I have two question:

What exactly are those amps?

Are the speaker in the cabs greenbacks? Because if they are it would be pretty important to me and this is why:

I recently bought a marshall AFD,and an old 1936 cab with the intention of changing speakers: in the first place I was going for a couple of Creambacks, but asking and reading on this forum I was about to make a little sacrifice and buy a two evms... But if Joe isa back to greenback I don,t se the point... Creambacks also retail for half the price!

What do you think of all this mess?!

Sorry for the long post!

Cheers!

The new rig doesn't seem to be that much in the way of back to basics. The main amp is a DSL in the back paired with another amp in the front with the cabinets except each head is to be pushing a 4x12 greenback cabinet instead of vertically split 2x12 ev in a 4x12 box. Pedalboard is still the same and back to cable rather than wireless. Supposed to be micing again instead of the palmers but I'm not sure.

I have a greenback cabinet and some older Celestion g12-65s, I like both. I wouldn't worry about the evms so much unless you really want them. They're very heavy. Basically I wouldn't get them just cause so and so uses them. What's in the cab now? The older 1936s are usually plywood and sometimes have vintage 30s in them.

I think Joe's pedalboard was pretty simplistic toward the end of 2012 because stuff was breaking, but he recently had a brand new one built with a bunch of toys on it.

Gibson Custom Joe Bonamassa Ltd Signature Les Paul VOS # 31

107 (edited by Zen Guitar 2013-03-18 22:06:16)

In terms of Greenbacks versus EV's... These are VERY different speakers. They sound very different, handle power very differently, and react to high volumes very differently.

I think if you are considering replacing your current speakers to go with your AFD head, a good strategy would be to first consider what speakers you are currently using and what you like and don't like about them. Besides frequency response/tone, consider how much compression you want or don't want as volume increases, whether speaker breakup is something you want or not, whether you'd like a speaker that is less efficient (quieter) or more efficient (louder) at the same amp settings, and how much wattage you need them to handle (remember that a 100w head can put out much more than 100w at full volume when overdriving).

Besides Joe, whose tones do you like and possibly wish to emulate?

Remember Joe can also afford to keep on replacing those blown Celestions. smile