Re: Joe's New Rig

i hope joe can coax some kossoff style tone out of t hose marshalls.  he'll, of course, sound like himself, but that glowing kind of overdrive kossoff got....kind of like the ringing or t one you get from a struck bell of even a xylophone when you strike the note.  kind of sound liek the tone comes from nowhere and rather than blooming and decaying it kind of starts out instense and just gets less intense until it's nothing.  does that make any sense? would be nice to hear some of that from someone again.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Worry not my fellow gear heads...  The new rig is honestly softer in volume than before.  Only two heads are on.  Plus most of the heads are 50 watts.  We are going to an in-ear monitoring system.  Hopefully the sound off stage will be more balanced and less like a Pratt and Whitney..   

Joe B

It sure takes up much more real estate! I'm sure it's going to sound just great.

Never thought I's see the day that Joe started using 50 watt heads on stage! Joe, how's the headroom?

Guitars: 1974 LP Custom, 2013 R8
Amps: '88 JCM 800 w/ TV cab, Tone King Falcon
Effects: Fulltone Clyde, Monsterpiece Stud, EP Booster, Strymon El Capistan

The next rig will have a EV 12 inch speaker installed under every seat so you get the full effect of what those 100 watts are doing!

Buddy of mine used to joke that he lived right next door to Chicago O'Hare airport - and they would often come over and ask him to TURN DOWN HIS AMP because the flghts taking off were complaining of the noise coming from his house! smile

kestrou

This makes me even more psyched for his show in St. Louis in November.

There's no way that Marshall and Gibson can sound bad. That's a match made, if not in heaven, then certainly somewhere quite near smile
To be honest one of the best guitar tones I've ever heard has been the one on Sloe Gin's performance at Royal Alber Hall. I don't know (wish I knew) what exactly was used but it is just plain amazing tone.

jclark42796 wrote:

I'm rethinking my third row seats  lol

That's why I always wear/bring ear plugs....unlike the early days......next to the very large stacks of speakers........and amps.

I'm sure this new setup will be impressive sonically........:)

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

So how many of you will be changing to keep up with the new stuff?

Friedmans for Ron? smile

I am honestly trepidatious about the in-ear situation.  I am mostly doing it for singing and the acoustic part of the show.   I am also carrying two side fill wedges that will have guitar in them.  I will keep you posted as we get into this in Nashvegas next week. 

Oh on the Friedman amp...  It is the very first 100 watt Dirty Shirley completed and out in the world.  There are more to come.. My friend John Shanks has the second or is about to take delivery... They sound like a slightly more articulate Marshall Jubilee with other stuff going on there.  Dave makes a great rock amp..

Joe B

Will you be using this full rig at the Chuck Berry concert next weekend?

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

DaveWammbarro wrote:

So how many of you will be changing to keep up with the new stuff?

Friedmans for Ron? smile

...I've been waiting to see how many will now want greenbacks.

This news just in...
*Marshall Super PA heads triple price on ebay*

DaveWammbarro wrote:

This news just in...

... Silver Jubilee market crashes wink

51 (edited by jclark42796 2012-10-22 16:24:08)

airportdon wrote:
jclark42796 wrote:

I'm rethinking my third row seats  lol

That's why I always wear/bring ear plugs....unlike the early days......next to the very large stacks of speakers........and amps.

I'm sure this new setup will be impressive sonically........:)

I've been to some loud shows, but fortunately in all the Joe shows I've been too, I've never felt the need for ear plugs or woke up the next day, ears ringing (unlike an AC/DC show).  Now my daughter who I brought to Pittsburgh in May, she needed plugs wink  Looking forward to hearing the new rig in another month.

jclark42796 wrote:
DaveWammbarro wrote:

This news just in...

... Silver Jubilee market crashes wink

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Oh on the Friedman amp... They sound like a slightly more articulate Marshall Jubilee with other stuff going on there.  Dave makes a great rock amp..

Joe B

Friedman goes into the stratosphere...with help from Joe Skunk Perry.

Indy wrote:
stevebonamassive wrote:

Why the change ? No silver jubs??
I am thinking of changing my rig , am using a Budda sd80 with 2x12 Ev12ls  but its too much power for little pubs ,/clubs I can't get it past 3 on the volume !
I need tone at low lower volumes!! And the ev12ls only sound good at arena volumes!
Am looking at the yjm head any good??
What greenbacks sound good?

I've had my YJM for almost a year now and couldn't be happier.  I'm a big Plexi fan so it's not hard to understand why it's a favorite.  It is a solid amp which my tech agrees.  I did have a small issue with the noise gate but it was a simple fix.  Most of the time I'm playing in 50 watt mode but the epa works well and I can dial the 100 watt mode down so the wife isn't disturbed.

I'm playing through an A-cabinet with two Celestion 12H-30's (30 watt greenbacks) and two Vintage 30's.  Not my real choice in speakers originally but the cab was priced right and I'm happy with the way it sounds.  I am on the lookout for some 25 watt greenback but no rush.  I may change to two 2X12 cabs because moving the 4X12 cabinet up & down the stairs is becoming tougher the older I get.

The YJM is pure sweetness IMO.......Here is a great review of the YJM.

http://www.tonymckenzie.com/yjm100_review.htm

Indy- What was the issue with the noise gate....was it clipping out at lower volumes?

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Worry not my fellow gear heads...  The new rig is honestly softer in volume than before.  Only two heads are on.  Plus most of the heads are 50 watts.   

Joe B

50 watt heads? What happened to the 100 watt club?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool