Re: Joe's New Rig

wharris wrote:

I will be buying some Celestion stock…I see a lot of blown Greenbacks in your future!

With 400 watts of speakers active all the time and only 2 amps surely they should cope?

DaveWammbarro wrote:

Friedman are superb amps.
I'd have one immediately if I lived in America.

Dirty Shirley sounds awesome

40 watts High and low input channels, Master Volume and Full EQ, Two 5881 Power Amp Tubes, Three 12ax7's Pre Amp Tubes, 5ar4 Tube Rectifier, Metropoulos FX Loop. Designed to to be an Ultra Fat Sweet sounding Classic Rock Amp.

From Premier Guitar Magazine: "This amp sound like Jimmy Page on the early Zeppelin records"

RickB wrote:
stefanhauk wrote:
wharris wrote:

I will be buying some Celestion stock…I see a lot of blown Greenbacks in your future!

You could see a possible return of the indestructible but tone-worthy EVM-12L's if the Greenbacks prove a hassle!

Joe's made it clear. EVM-12L's only. He still remembers the stink of burnt voice coils. lol

Joe's mentions they all are 25w greenbacks?

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Well, its end of day one... The rig sounds great... All vintage Marshall amps and a Freidman Dirty Shirley 100..  It is the first one made in a 100 watt format.   The speakers are all 25 watt green backs...  It is much simpler than my old 4 head switching rig..  All cabinets are active but only two heads are on..  Tomorrow we button up the cabling and make the final decisions.. 
Joe B

The rig looks very vintage Clapton. smile
Can't wait to hear on the decisions.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Full rig.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A5rThEwCEAAo2AV.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A5rZbJpCAAA7qnI.jpg
Pedal board
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A5rhT5pCYAE--VD.jpg

24 (edited by cindyron 2012-10-20 20:03:58)

Cool  look at all that vintage gear. love the Red & Blue Fuzz Face Joe

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

That's some really cool stuff right there.

where are the 6l6's?!

What...no DUMBLE? smile

That is going to pump out some serious volume - which is obviously a big part of Joe's tone - but seriously...jet engines make less noise than that rig could big_smile

alex.p wrote:

That is going to pump out some serious volume - which is obviously a big part of Joe's tone - but seriously...jet engines make less noise than that rig could big_smile

Yes - it's been cut right back to five heads and four 4 x 12 cabs!?!

Maybe one of those heads in the photo isn't part of rig?

I'm rethinking my third row seats  lol

Worry not my fellow gear heads...  The new rig is honestly softer in volume than before.  Only two heads are on.  Plus most of the heads are 50 watts.  We are going to an in-ear monitoring system.  Hopefully the sound off stage will be more balanced and less like a Pratt and Whitney..   

Joe B

John Norum has 50w head and rest of the band say it's still loud wink

Women, whiskey and miles of travelin' is all I understand

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Worry not my fellow gear heads...  The new rig is honestly softer in volume than before.  Only two heads are on.  Plus most of the heads are 50 watts.  We are going to an in-ear monitoring system.  Hopefully the sound off stage will be more balanced and less like a Pratt and Whitney..   

Joe B

wonder how your gonna get on with in ears joe?? i get on with them but they are very strange to start with!!
was the last rig to much? too loud! to heavy!! lol

what made you change with this rig?

Will this be the rig for Europe too?

stevebonamassive wrote:

Why the change ? No silver jubs??
I am thinking of changing my rig , am using a Budda sd80 with 2x12 Ev12ls  but its too much power for little pubs ,/clubs I can't get it past 3 on the volume !
I need tone at low lower volumes!! And the ev12ls only sound good at arena volumes!
Am looking at the yjm head any good??
What greenbacks sound good?

I've had my YJM for almost a year now and couldn't be happier.  I'm a big Plexi fan so it's not hard to understand why it's a favorite.  It is a solid amp which my tech agrees.  I did have a small issue with the noise gate but it was a simple fix.  Most of the time I'm playing in 50 watt mode but the epa works well and I can dial the 100 watt mode down so the wife isn't disturbed.

I'm playing through an A-cabinet with two Celestion 12H-30's (30 watt greenbacks) and two Vintage 30's.  Not my real choice in speakers originally but the cab was priced right and I'm happy with the way it sounds.  I am on the lookout for some 25 watt greenback but no rush.  I may change to two 2X12 cabs because moving the 4X12 cabinet up & down the stairs is becoming tougher the older I get.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

stevebonamassive wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

We are going to an in-ear monitoring system.  Hopefully the sound off stage will be more balanced and less like a Pratt and Whitney..   

Joe B

wonder how your gonna get on with in ears joe?? i get on with them but they are very strange to start with!!

One thing that I prefer the floor wedges for (and a fair amount of back line volume) is for how the guitar just tends to sing and easily drift into controlled feedback from the sound waves bleeding back into the pickups and vibrating the wood. The guitar just feels more alive and sounds better, IMHO. Some folks that go with IEM's actually keep wedges on just for this reason--best of both worlds. ;-)