Re: Western MD Blues festival...

Was it just me or was that an...off show?

Last year, the crowd was tiny, the show was electric and my introduction to Joe blew me away. This year, the crowd was HUGE, SRO, and the show was...kinda dull. The set list had a heavy emphasis on mellower tunes and  I watched the steam just leak out of the crowd.

I was standing center/back, surrounded by people who didn't know who Joe was but their comments all indicated they'd heard great things and they were EXCITED. Opening with Bridge was kinda like popping the top on a shook up bottle of beer but then, from there on, it just seemed like the beer, after overflowing, just fizzled down.

'Had to Cry today' was my first Joe CD and that's how I remember last year; a great mix of tunes but decidedly not mellow, lotta edge and dirt. Hate to be a bummer about this and as a new guy I am asking; was it just me?

Thanks

Re: Western MD Blues festival...

Hi Larry. Sorry you weren't in the "mosh pit" with the Bonamaniacs because there was alot of energy there! I do understand your point. If I had my way Joe would plug in and shred thru all my favorites..but...I think because he has given us so much "product" we all go hoping to hear certain songs. Also, this tour is to promote the new CD so those new songs are in the set list (great songs I'll add). Joe has fought for YEARS against blues "purists" who claim he's too rock. At a Joe concert everyone is there just to see him. At a festival, there are those in the crowd that have already decided they don't like Joe for the afore mentioned reason and, hard as it is for us to conceive, there are people who aren't going to like his music. I felt the band was spot-on Sat. Everybody was feeling well and in a good mood. So next time, get yourself in the midst of the maniacs and rock on with us..Cathy