Re: R.I.P. Thread

Can't believe we missed the passing of Ken Hensley on the 4th Nov, following a short illness; he was 75.

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

David Lander (June 22nd 1947 - Dec 4th 2020)  R.I.P.
Not a name many will be readily familiar with, but certainly a voice. Most famously known as Andrew “Squiggy” Squiggman in the hit US sit-com Laverne & Shirley; Lander also appeared in numerous other TV shows and movies, including The Bob Newhart Show, Barney Miller, Happy Days (as Squiggy), Viva Valdez, Married… with Children, Twin Peaks, On the Air, The Weird Al Show, Mad About You, Pacific Blue, and The Drew Carey Show. Lander died of complications from multiple sclerosis at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, California.. He was 73 years old
His film roles were more sparse but still memorable; these included the part of a minor league baseball radio announcer in the film, A League of Their Own and a bit part of the minister officiating the marriage ceremony in Say It Isn’t So. He also played “Tanning Intruder” in Christmas with the Kranks. Lander created the starring role of the demented fast food franchise clown Bruce Burger in the cult film Funland, directed by Michael A. Simpson.
Lander’s voice acting roles included the “dramatic reproduction” of Elvis Presley quotations for the Pop Chronicles music documentary and the voice of Jerry Lewis in the Filmation series Will the Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down in 1970. He voiced “Doc Boy” Arbuckle, the farm-boy brother of Jon Arbuckle, in most animated adaptations of the Garfield franchise. Later voice roles included The Big Bang, A Bug’s Life, Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills, Oswald, Titan A.E., Tom and Jerry: The Movie and the animated TV series Galaxy High as the six-armed Milo de Venus. In 2002, he reprised his role as Squiggy in the animated sitcom The Simpsons. Lander was the voice of Smart ****, the chief weasel of Judge Doom’s Toon Patrol in the 1988 Disney film Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Lander reprised his role as Smart **** on the related ride, but the character was renamed Wiseguy. He was credited as Stephen Lander in Boo, Zino and the Snurks. One of his later roles was that of Ch’p in the DC Comics animated movie Green Lantern: First Flight.
In addition to acting, Lander, a Pittsburgh Pirates fan, had a small stake in the Portland Beavers. He worked as a baseball talent scout from 1997, first for the Anaheim Angels, and later for the Seattle Mariners.[4] He was a member of SABR, the baseball sabermetrics organization, for many years.
Lander had multiple sclerosis. Officially diagnosed on May 15, 1984, at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, he went public in 1999 and regularly spoke at related conventions. In 2002, his autobiography was published, titled Fall Down Laughing: How Squiggy Caught Multiple Sclerosis and Didn’t Tell Nobody, written with Lee Montgomery.

Leslie West (October 22, 1945 – December 23, 2020)   RIP

Joe on instaramm:

"Rest In Peace my friend. Today is a very sad day for me and my family. Leslie was not only a hero of mine but a friend. He believed in me from the very beginning and always lent his support. He was the funniest guy you would ever meet but a consummate gentleman and one of the greatest rock guitarist ever. The first thing he ever said to me was “Joey, all you got to do to be my favorite guitar player is @#$%^^&# divide by two.. “ I never forgot that advice and cherish it to this day. He is a rock and roll hall of fame member with or without a statue nor ceremony. He just was and always will be. I will not get into that now. He is known best by the song “Mississippi Queen” but if you have a chance to put on “Theme From An Imaginary Western “ today the sheer brilliance of that solo and composition is staggering. He made it look easy. It was not. A true one of a kind musician and man. I will miss him greatly. https://www.instagram.com/p/CJJ8bNus-oL/

Leslie West studio video with Joe Bonamassa trading guitar licks  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSLBViDDhNE

RIP Leslie West
thanks for links...I certainly got to know much more about him from this forum.
I remember when someone posted this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ8I4ESWM0I big_smile

thanks reo and Jane, I didn't hear a thing about it over the holiday ............. OUCH, this one hurts me to the core
I was fortunate to see him twice, once with Felix and Mountain on the Nantucket tour, and once with W, B, & L. I remember distinctly that he and Jack had 3 stacks each with Marshall 100W heads and 3 each 4 X 12 cabinets under each head. It was gorgeous overkill. The problem was that it was in Foster Auditorium at the Univ of Alabama, a very small venue, a glorified junior high school basketball gym .............. my ears rang for days !!!
RIP big guy, gonna play some Don't Look Around 'bout now for lunch break

I remember pi R Squared in math class ............. wait, I know for sure Junior Sample told Grandpa "Pie are round, Cornbread are square"

RIP Alto Reed. Who can forget his contribution to Bob Seger? Lucky to have seen him 5 times. A truly wonderful musician.

Tim Bogert R.I.P. The powerhouse bassist died on the 13th,  aged 76. Best known for work with Vanilla Fudge, Cactus and seminal Blues/Rock "super-group" trio Beck, Bogert & Appice.

New York Dolls Guitarist Sylvain Sylvain R.I.P. at 69

Sylvain Sylvain, the punk icon and guitarist for New York Dolls whose riffs bridged the gap between punk and glam, died Wednesday. He was 69. The musician, who also contributed bass, piano and song writing to the ground-breaking band’s first two albums, had been battling cancer.

“As most of you know, Sylvain battled cancer for the past two and 1/2 years,” his wife, Wanda O’Kelley Mizrahi, wrote in a statement on his Facebook page. “Though he fought it valiantly, yesterday he passed away from this disease. While we grieve his loss,

another guy I "grew up" with, he was a goodun for sure. I never really got into the Fudge all that much, but did get to see him with Jim McCarty and Carmine Appice on that first Cactus tour. This one was also at Foster Auditorium on the UA campus, they were every bit as loud as West, Bruce & Lang  #ringingears

BansheeUK wrote:

Tim Bogert R.I.P. The powerhouse bassist died on the 13th,  aged 76. Best known for work with Vanilla Fudge, Cactus and seminal Blues/Rock "super-group" trio Beck, Bogert & Appice.

I remember pi R Squared in math class ............. wait, I know for sure Junior Sample told Grandpa "Pie are round, Cornbread are square"

Jane H. wrote:

RIP Leslie West
thanks for links...I certainly got to know much more about him from this forum.
I remember when someone posted this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ8I4ESWM0I big_smile

He did a few blues albums/cd's that are really good.  His take on the songs which are very different but somehow really good.

He used to be a guest on the Howard Stern Show and was just so interesting to listen to.  I really liked the songs I heard, so I bought all the CD's.  Well worth it.

Go Raiders, JUST WIN BABY!
Fight ON USC TROJANS!

Sherman Robertson (Oct 27th 1948 - Jan 27th 2021)  R.I.P
A perennial favourite in this corner of the world, especially Guisborough, King of LOUTEX (Sherman’s unique brand of Louisiana swamp and Texas blues), and the ‘Master Fender Bender’  Sherman Robertson has passed, aged 72. The American blues guitarist, songwriter and singer, has been described as “one part zydeco, one part swamp blues, one part electric blues and one part classic rhythm and blues.”
n 1982, Clifton Chenier heard Robertson’s band playing at the Crosstown Blues Festival. Robertson moved back to Louisiana, learned to play slide guitar, and toured for several years in the 1980s with Chenier. Robertson contributed to his Live At The (1982) and San Francisco Blues Festival (1985) albums. After Chenier’s death, Robertson played with Rockin’ Dopsie, appearing on his Crowned Prince Of Zydeco album (1986), and Terrance Simien & the Mallet Playboys, before going solo. Robertson’s guitar work appeared on Paul Simon’s Graceland album, and he was on the bill at the 1994 Notodden Blues Festival.
Robertson’s I’m the Man (1994) was the first release on the Code Blue label. It was nominated for a W.C. Handy Award. Robertson’s follow-up, Here & Now (1995), included his cover of the Tracy Nelson song “Here & Now”. However the record label folded and Robertson re-appeared in 1998 on the independent label, Audioquest, with his next offering, Going Back Home. In November 2005 he released Guitar Man - Live with his new backing band, BluesMove.
In 2008, Robertson and BluesMove played at the Harvest Time Blues festival in Monaghan, Ireland. In 2011, Robertson and BluesMove appeared at the Rhythm Festival in Bedfordshire, England.
In 2012, a proposed concert in Gaildorf, Germany, was cancelled after Robertson suffered a stroke and Robertson had been off the circuit since.

Hilton Stewart Paterson Valentine (21st may 1943 - 29th Jan 2021) R.I.P.
Hilton Valentine, founding guitarist of the 60s group the Animals and the man responsible for one of the most famous intros in pop history, has died aged 77.
Valentine’s death was confirmed by the band’s label ABKCO Music, who wrote in a statement on Twitter on Saturdy night: “Our deepest sympathies go out to Hilton Valentine’s family and friends on his passing this morning, at the age of 77.”
Valentine, from North Shields, formed the Animals in 1963 in Newcastle alongside singer Eric Burdon, bassist Chas Chandler, organist Alan Price and drummer John Steel.
The band’s most famous song, a cover version of the blues standard The House Of The Rising Sun, topped the charts in the UK and the US in 1964. Valentine is credited with coming up with the song’s famous arpeggio introductory riff, although it was initially rejected as a single by the band’s producer, Mickie Most, because it was thought the four-and-a-half minute track was too long. But their treatment of the song, regarded as one of the inspirations for Bob Dylan going electric in 1965, has entered the annals of rock history, with the intro familiar over the decades to millions of budding guitarists around the world.
After the success of Rising Sun, the band had a string of hits with other reworkings of classic blues songs such as Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood and We Gotta Get Out Of This Place, before the original lineup started to fall apart in the late 1960s. Valentine later produced one solo album called All In Your Head and continued to perform in various reincarnations of the band for many years.

RIP Mary Wilson sad
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi … d-1125532/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D63qise2hqw

yeah I saw this yesterday, another one I grew up with in the sixties gone. RIP Mary, you were supremely talented

806 (edited by Rocket 2021-02-13 19:23:51)

Chick Corea- a jazz juggernaut.

And now also Rupert Neve, genius Electrical and Audio Engineer inventor extraordinaire.

sad sad

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

RIP Lou
LOU OTTENS, INVENTOR OF THE AUDIO CASSETTE
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/lou-ottens-dies/