Re: Afterglow

Vintage! BCC. Glenn, Joe, Jason, Derek and kevin knocked it out of the park as always.  Crawl is my absolute favorite. Joe and Derek sound so good soloing together. Way too cool...  It’s time to put on some headphones, Sit back and really enjoy Afterglow.

Thanks guys!

I alieved my fears that Afterglow might be a clunker and went out and picked it up.Havent got through it yet but so far digging it.Going to give it a go before posting more feelings on it.Thanks Jane! Thanks all for the comments either way.As much as I want to hear all good things,it helps to absorb all the differeent opinions.Plus makes it more interesting here.Hope Joes ok!  Just remember your music really means alot to all of us here.You are amazing!Havent heard anything other than excellence in all your works.Be it solo,BCC,Beth,and the other tidbits with other various artists.Rock on and keep the faith!(If I can borrow a phrase lol)

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Just three songs into this
and I am loving it
This is a great release
Joe this is a great record
classic rock for the millenium
what more can you ask for?

Am I the only one who's digging the Big Train solo?

The cheeky, bouncy phrasing is helping to abate the symptoms of the post-Halloween hangover

...or at least that's what I'm telling myself

Me playing Joe's actual Ibanez Tubescreamer pedal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76jk58_vl2s

I'm digging it......I don't know whatzz wrong with some of the folks on this forum who do not... they need to grow up and expand their minds

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

Kenny wrote:

Another trip to Amsterdam by the looks of it from the above article smile Paradiso hopefully.

I believe they intend to use the Carre, our mini opera house. As soon as I get an approximate (or even exact) date for this, I will start a topic in General to see how many intend to come, then will try to hit my box office source for good tickets. wink

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Well folks all I can say is that this is not a good album.Its a great album!!!!!! Only second time around and love all 11 songs.The key is songs.Individual playing is superb as well.Have no issues with mix /production either.Sounds great in my car which is all that matters to me.Man if this is Joes not great playing well I cant tell.Also ,no growing needed here.Its ready for harvest lol.Just another testament why these 4 should keep making music.

Your rock candy baby

I think Afterglow rocks. wink

As for the uber-critical...ahem....Bongano... as Noel Gallagher would say, "Let's hear one of YOUR songs."  wink

Now a Beth-O-Bona-Holic

Must agree that Glenn sounds spectaculiar throughout the album! I havent picked a fav tune yet but Cry Freedom is probably it.

Your rock candy baby

frazerburns19 wrote:

The cheeky, bouncy phrasing is helping to abate the symptoms of the post-Halloween hangover

I am digging that Big Train solo "Big Time"

Your rock candy baby

gary wrote:

Must agree that Glenn sounds spectaculiar throughout the album! I havent picked a fav tune yet but Cry Freedom is probably it.

Yeah I've been a huge Glenn fan for some time now and he is amazing on this one! Great songs, melodies and singing throughout. The bass playing too! The man is 61 years old! But as Joe said, find a 20 year old who can do what he does with vocals. Good luck!

I love Cry Freedom too! Its one that I find running through my head a lot. My favorite right now though is The Circle. This one is epic! The vocals are off the hook and Joe's tone is vintage hard rock! There is something haunting about that song.

gary wrote:
frazerburns19 wrote:

I am digging that Big Train solo "Big Time"

The first thing I thought with that solo is classic Blackmore. The tone, the phrasing. Love it!!

Beth-O-Holic wrote:

I think Afterglow rocks. wink

As for the uber-critical...ahem....Bongano... as Noel Gallagher would say, "Let's hear one of YOUR songs."  wink

That would be great! I'm sure it would be better. Hopefully rock, unlike say Cry Freedom which is not a rock song lol

UK version arrived on Wed.  2 spins through on the iPod yesterday and I must say Afterglow has lived up to my expectations.  I too love the tone Derek is using on this one and of course love the interplay with Joe.  I need some more listens before I start throwing out favorites and notable moments.  On the surface though, not sure why Joe himself feels he could have done better with more time.  Typical artist perfectionism I suppose.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

I really loved the Afterglow. It's a great album, great in every way, performance of musicians, songs. I can not say if it's better than the others, for me each has its particularity ... the first is more direct, more old school, the second is more aggressive, hard and Afterglow is more thought, perhaps the most ambitious. Unfortunately some people want to see the band always making the same album, but I appreciate the changes and the differences between them. I prefer creativity than complacency. Congratulations to all 5 members of the band who have managed in a short time perform three classic albums.

Dknight,I also cant see why Joe isnt happy with his playing on AG.I hope its not because of some negatuve comments here thats got him second guessing himself.

Your rock candy baby

The riff of This Is Your Time. Now thats rock baby!

Your rock candy baby

The one thing I find different on this album compared to 1 & 2 is there doesn`t seem to be a concensus on what is the best song on the album. On 1, SOY was pretty much the clear winner, Cold seemed to have won the title on 2, but on Afterglow it`s all over the place. Must be proof it`s an all around solid album.

Right now I really love The Giver but nobody seems to talk about it, so go figure...