Re: Afterglow

Had about 3 runs through and I must say it does grow on you more, some very classic rock type moments in there, takes you back to the mid 70's at times. Excellent album that does grow on you. I must admit BCC1 is still my favourite at present for rawness. One thing about the sound, it sounds far better on the car Bose system than on the 5.1 system at home? Still a thumbs up though. One or two listens is not enough though. There are many classic albums in the past that needed to grow on you, I'm glad I didn't give upon some of them either. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

RickB wrote:

I like it. A lot! To each his own.
Rick

As do I, very much!

I'm surprised by the negativity here too. but that's the thing with music (or art, wine, women, etc), taste is an individual thing.

Mark3 wrote:

On this album there was no time it seems for joint writing sessions as on previous albums and I think the album suffers because of this.

Not sure about suffers, but it seems an odd thing (as Glenn describes in the sleeve) that all the music was recorded before he wrote the lyrics, alone, then recorded the vocals.

I can't believe that in the short space of 2 years this band has produced 3 so great yet so different rock albums. I think Afterglow is more of a 'musician's' album, with interesting time changes and jams and the debut album was more generally accessible (and the one most likely to have been enormous in the '70s).

I do want to hear more from them, even if they simply commit to a week every few years for BCC4, 5 and so on. The Beatles only recorded after 1965.  Sure Glenn feels the need to tour, so - tour as Glenn, as Joe does. Do as much BCC as you want in the set, all good.

I want Glenn to remember (quoting his book) "We're in the moment and we love the music. I've been preparing for this moment for a long time". Don't let it go.

PSmith1946 wrote:

Had about 3 runs through and I must say it does grow on you more, some very classic rock type moments in there, takes you back to the mid 70's at times. Excellent album that does grow on you. I must admit BCC1 is still my favourite at present for rawness. One thing about the sound, it sounds far better on the car Bose system than on the 5.1 system at home? Still a thumbs up though. One or two listens is not enough though. There are many classic albums in the past that needed to grow on you, I'm glad I didn't give upon some of them either. big_smile

That's what I don't get. Why would someone bother spending the time to post here when they don't even think enough of the band to give it more than one spin?? ONE SPIN?? So many records/songs don't reveal greatness until multiple listens.

112 (edited by frazerburns19 2012-10-30 10:38:07)

Got it yesterday, been listening to it exclusively, absolutely love it. I'm not going to pick a favourite out of the 3 albums because it would bias my own mind when I listen to them, and would close my mind to the level of enjoyment I get when listening to them. My favourite between the first 2 changes constantly anyway so frankly it's futile for me to waste my energy comparing.

Joe sounds pretty burnt out though, not surprising as he's not stopped this year. I think in an ideal world he would have took a break before jumping into this album, but he probably wanted to avoid giving the band ammunition for the argument that he's the one holding the band back from moving forward.
Prefer his tone on the other albums though, and his fingers seem to be just going through the motions on some solos. To re-iterate though, because of Joes usual output it seems we subconsciously hold him to a very high standard, so what I'm really saying is I'm not hearing much in the solos I haven't heard from Joe before. Although the outro jam in common man is fantastic, they should have a 'Too late for the sun' length jam on every album I say!!!

Thoroughly enjoying the songs, just wish things were less 'produced' and more jammed out as far as the songwriting process seems to have went at times. They have enough talent, experience, and natural feel to fire out these songs as quickly as they recorded the songs on the first album, which gave it it's natural greatness, because they didn't question or analyse (or screw around with) what they were firing out.

In summary, more spontaneity please wink

And there's my subjective, uneducated, and naive observation

Me playing Joe's actual Ibanez Tubescreamer pedal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76jk58_vl2s

Forever Young wrote:

That's what I don't get. Why would someone bother spending the time to post here when they don't even think enough of the band to give it more than one spin?? ONE SPIN?? So many records/songs don't reveal greatness until multiple listens.

Glad to see you've got a superview to see people gave the album just one spin.
I've the album in continuous run since it got here and the problems I pointed out in previous posts remain the same.
Some good songs that could be produced and thought better in terms of rock music, some sub par ones. Mainly a problem of not enough time spent together working on songs and not much shared enthusiasm.
Also, is it just my copy or I hear at 4:52 of song Afterglow a weird 'tremolo' noise like it's coming from a broken speaker?

114 (edited by Forever Young 2012-10-30 11:15:18)

bongano wrote:
Forever Young wrote:

Glad to see you've got a superview to see people gave the album just one spin.
I've the album in continuous run since it got here and the problems I pointed out in previous posts remain the same.
Some good songs that could be produced and thought better in terms of rock music, some sub par ones. Mainly a problem of not enough time spent together working on songs and not much shared enthusiasm.
Also, is it just my copy or I hear at 4:52 of song Afterglow a weird 'tremolo' noise like it's coming from a broken speaker?

Did I mention you? No I don't think I did. It was in response to a post claiming they listened once and won't ever again.

Oh yeah, you are the guy who doesn't consider Cry Freedom a rock song. Just may be a matter of differing opinions here. Some consider AC/DC to be heavy metal for example.

bongano wrote:

I think that's some Jeff Beck style whammy going on there...I wonder what guitar he used for the solo...?

DaveWammbarro wrote:
bongano wrote:

I think that's some Jeff Beck style whammy going on there...I wonder what guitar he used for the solo...?

I think you may be right. Also it was a regular thing back in the 70's to leave in little mistakes or flubs. It added to the organic feel of the music.

Forever Young wrote:
DaveWammbarro wrote:
bongano wrote:

I think you may be right. Also it was a regular thing back in the 70's to leave in little mistakes or flubs. It added to the organic feel of the music.

Answering Dave's question, I think it's the 1960 LP with the Bigsby, judging from the webisode.

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Black + Gold Hardware, PRS SE Santana Yellow, Ovation Double-Neck Semi-Acoustic, Ovation Celebrity CC44 Honeyburst, Gibson 2008 Les Paul Standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst (#10), Gibson Robot Les Paul Studio 2012 Limited, Gibson 1976 Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst

xavier wrote:
Forever Young wrote:
DaveWammbarro wrote:

Answering Dave's question, I think it's the 1960 LP with the Bigsby, judging from the webisode.

Thanks.

Forever Young wrote:
DaveWammbarro wrote:
bongano wrote:

Take a decision then: is it an intentional trick or is it a mistake? Sounds more like a "Jeez, I haven't heard that noise before and now we have no time to do one more take!"
By the way we're probably talking of two different thing. I'm referring to that flickering can be heard at 4:52/4:53. I can recognize a whammy bar trick and that's not (unless Joe's discovered a new superpower that makes him move the bar at that speed).

It's an intentional mistake.
Sounds good. Does it matter?

Thank you to the few that don't feel the need to quote 5 previous posts in your own post.  Reading threads here at the JB Forum has been getting more and more ridiculous.  Break free from the tyranny of the quote button!  Just post your own opinion and let it stand on its own!  Please!

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

All Afterglow lyrics are up on Glenn's site.

Absolutely. The problem is that some solos are totally unrelated from the context and from what a rock album should be.
Listen to the guitar tone solo in Big Train or to licks in Afterglow. Wtf is that? I thought I bought a rock album?
And Cry Freedom? Is it a rock song? Not in my book.
Many solos are shred improvisation and not structured and organic solos. Sounds almost like Joe was just warming up.
Some songs are good but overall the album is quite boring.
Def they should have needed to stay together more time to think more to what this album should have been.

Why don't you ring Glenn and start your own group if you can do so much better?  If you do not like my playing on this record. Fair enough. Niether do I.  But don't pretend that you don't have an ax to grind either.  This is not a place without boundaries friend. Try the BCC forum for this kind of talk.  Enough is enough. 

Remember this is the Joe Bonamassa forum. My house my rules.
Joe Bonamassa.

you guys know how to piss the leader off!!!!!

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

If you do not like my playing on this record. Fair enough. Niether do I.

Joe!? Not any of it...?

Beg to differ, particularly the interplays with Derek. Seemed like a blast!

126 (edited by hulldanfan 2012-10-31 05:19:04)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

If you do not like my playing on this record. Fair enough. Niether do I.  Joe Bonamassa.

Joe

This is really interesting.  Could you describe how that recording process actually worked?

It has been stated that it took 5 days from start to finish, so does that mean that you only ever heard pre-production playback of the songs before you and the guys all went your seperate ways?

Then, from that point on, the band had no further involvement in the mixing or production and that there was no opportunity for any member to redo sections that you were unhappy with?

I guess those are the facts of life with a 'part-time' band where members have other schedules and committments.