Re: Afterglow

Still waiting too - but I didn't order it. Found out online last night that that the release date here in Australia was Oct 22! The good music store where I've got all my JB and BCC stuff, had ordered 10 but not yet received them - apparently the distributor is a one man show, who's probably spending his weekend packing boxes of Afterglow! I can savor the wait a few more days anyway.

So (off topic now), not to leave empty handed, I found Black Sabbath's Seven Stars which of course has Glenn on lead vocals - and in his autobiography which I'm currently reading claims he wrote most of it. I also read Tony Iommi's book earlier in the year so it ties them together. Long story short, very much enjoyed it.

Just bought the CD from the local dealer.. Sounds really good! Bought "Live over Europe" blueray also.

Got it yesterday and after one spin it`s not as easy to swallow as 2 was (to me at least). Songs are good but no real stand out aka Song of Yesterday or Cold were. Glenn is on fire though, probably his best vocal performance of all 3. Joe is...hard to tell at the moment, but haven`t heard an out of this world solo yet. Thus far my favorite is The Circle (mind you after just one listen).

Commercially speaking however this could be a winner, it`s accessible without being commercial. It`s less heavy than 2, but more polish than 1. I can see why the critics so far are unanimous is saying it`s a great album, but as a fan stand point a few more spins are required, but I`m confident.

76 (edited by bongano 2012-10-27 12:34:47)

I agree with some of you. Not at the level of one and two. Maybe it has to grow on me but no in the face feelings as it was with the other albums. I sadly must agree: Joe's playing and tone is not fitting with the album. Too bluesy and it doesn't bite as much as a rock album should deserve. Also sounds to me like some of the solos are extemporary and not enough thought and studied. More like improvisations than structured solos. I'm sure a different production would have made this a great R&R work.

77 (edited by mightyduck 2012-10-28 13:43:46)

Ok, after a few more listens, it`s definitely a grower. More and more songs sound interesting compare to the first listen, and no I`m not trying to kid myself...I was listening to the album with my son and we were debating about Joe`s sound & solos on Afterglow and he was saying his playing brings a darker edge to the album. We`re so accustomed of hearing Joe play a certain style and sound that when he tries something different it`s kind of shocking. Thought he had an interesting observation. So people my advice is to give it a few shots before making your final decision about whether it`s good, great or not.

I've given it over twenty listens now...opinion hasn't changed. Afterglow is a great song though.

Jane H. wrote:

yeah definitely need more listens. I like the way you said that mightyduck. I've got some favs and some spots that i wish were not there. have to get the specifics before commenting.
Hope someone gives a shot at the lyrics, cause I want them but also for markers where i can point out some observations.

Seems like opinoins here not nearly as enthusiastic as for2 when it came out.However the media reviews have been "glowing"

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Glenn Hughes has an Afterglow special show on Planet Rock at 7pm tonight.

After a few laps, favorites so far are Big Train, The Circle, Common Man and Afterglow. Very different than either 1 or 2. Darker and driving with lots of great singing from Glenn. It is a grower as others have said. Lots of discoveries to be made after digging into it. A week in the car will surely add more insight, but right now it is a winner for me. big_smile
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

82 (edited by wharris 2012-10-28 16:21:06)

I'm going to have to give it a few more listens. I like it, but it's not really grabbing me the way the first two discs did. I think that part of the problem (for me) is the production. It seems like K.S dials too much of the high end out creating a sort bland, "smooth" mix. There is no rawness or presence to grab you viscerally.

wharris wrote:

I think that part of the problem (for me) is the production. It seems like K.S dials to much of the high end out creating a sort bland, "smooth" mix. There is no rawness or presence to grab you viscerally.

Agree 100%.
This is not the way to produce sounds of a modern rock album.

Reminds me of the production of Black Rock...somehow cold and hard with a harsh, bright top end...
Sounds like it's made to catch the ear on radio rather than be played loud on a good system. Some may disagree, but I still have my 20-20 hearing intact (not sure how either)...and a couple of good systems. It is the way it is. An ending...for now.

DaveWammbarro wrote:

Reminds me of the production of Black Rock...somehow cold and hard with a harsh, bright top end...
Sounds like it's made to catch the ear on radio rather than be played loud on a good system. Some may disagree, but I still have my 20-20 hearing intact (not sure how either)...and a couple of good systems. It is the way it is. An ending...for now.

I think the production blows away the last two. It's much fatter, thicker and clearer so I don't get that at all. I will say this though,  you will love this album once you actually give it a real chance. The songs are great!

86 (edited by RickB 2012-10-28 18:00:05)

Hmmm. Some quite divergent opinions of the mix. Dave W says, " cold and hard with a harsh, bright top end". Wharris says, "K.S dials too much of the high end out creating a sort bland, "smooth" mix."
My bad old ears hear none of this. What is going on?
Dave, turn down the trebel. Wharris, turn it up.  I use the EQ to make it sound just as I like it. Tinny or bassy, I have it covered. lol
Rick

Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

RickB wrote:

Hmmm. Some quite divergent opinions of the mix. Dave W says, " cold and hard with a harsh, bright top end". Wharris says, "K.S dials too much of the high end out creating a sort bland, "smooth" mix."
My bad old ears hear none of this. What is going on?
Dave, turn down the trebel. Wharris, turn it up.  I use the EQ to make it sound just as I like it. Tinny or bassy, I have it covered. lol
Rick

I am comparing it flat response monitor wise with a wide range of albums...As soon as you start eq'ing...you're throwing things out the window...

88 (edited by Chuck Johnson 2012-10-28 21:46:26)

Yeah I'm getting some great tones and thickness from it.  All of the drums sound have a great punch to them and span a great spectrum from high to low.  No problems hearing anything and there is a lot going from a production standpoint.
For some odd reason, I was reminded of the first time I listened to the MONOLITH by KANSAS.  They allowed themselves to breath a little on that album.  It was bit more loosened up.  AFTERGLOW sort of reminds me of that vibe.

I think this one is a good bit more rhythmic, especially during the solo sections.  Also, I do like Derek being more prominent in the mix.  I think this adds more to Joe's playing, rather than taking away from it.  This sound is much closer to how they sounded at Indy last year.

I will agree that this does not sound like most modern rock packages and that is an overall reason I'm enjoying it so much.

"what's the point of race cars, rocket ships and rock and roll?"

89 (edited by RickB 2012-10-28 20:54:36)

Could it be the difference between the Euro and US cd burns? Maybe that is what is going on. I have no eq in my system as I listened and it sounds pretty good. I'm using a Sony bluray player into Yamaha surround.
Rick

90 (edited by hulldanfan 2012-10-29 11:21:22)

I have waited a few days to post in order to give this a few listens and I have to say, rarely have I been as disappointed by a new release as with Afterglow.

To me, this sounds like a Hughes/Shirley solo album - with the worst aspects of both.

I think the songwriting is a level below BCC2 and I just have to think that Kevin has managed to rip all the bollocks from what is supposed to be a classic/hard rock album.

Jason and Derek perform admirably, but at the end of it all, the rhythm section does not make or break an album of this type.  Its down to the songs, production, frontman and guitars.

I really worry that Joe doesnt have the edge and aggression in his playing to actually do this sort of music.  Maybe he has, but if that is the case, what is Shirley doing?.  Theres little or no power, energy or excitement coming through.   

They say that the 3rd album is make or break for a band.  ?????