Re: Afterglow

What it really boils down to is they play what the sponsors want to hear or what the sponsors think the general public wants to hear. Around here you have better luck talking to one of the stations major sponsors and getting them to talk to the station manager. The problem with that is you have to have a sponsor who actually knows something about music and who enjoys something more than just the same classics over and over at nausium. Don't get me wrong, I love the classics I just don't like to be beat over the head with them. I love the Sirius/XM alternative but hate that they make you buy separate subscriptions for home, cars and work but that's another complaint dept I guess.

Oh well, I have all three BCC's on shuffle today....who needs the radio?

You don't find a style, ... a style finds you

Keith Richards

74 (edited by Jane H. 2012-10-26 08:20:35)

i don't know what you mean by sponsors.
do you mean advertisers? goodness gracious don't make me go there, lol and I don't believe that anyway
i mean there is the independent station but we don't have one that plays much rock

its the corporate overlords even when disguised as 'family owned'
i don't even think payola is as significant as that is a one time pay off. when they only play the crap that the record company who is owned by the same company that owns the stations and most of major media and the big venues so they get into a paycircle____ fill in the blank! they have tokens here and there, maybe p,lay some local stuff blahblah

they overplay stuff and offer little choice and then the listeners think that is all to choose from. unless one is a true music lover and afficianado they don't have time in theri day to look for new stuff. they trust the station to do that for them

i mean really i don't know but if you look into it these are the things they can't hide as well. it all depends on if enough people care and pay attention, particularly the thing about the airwaves. really opened my eyes learning that

and whoever came up with the ratethemusic.com and its playlist request list (i mean i am serious these stations pay this co. and actually have a playlist to make requests from) they are a genius. an evil genius perhaps but they serve themselves so well. seriously if you actually try to get on a listener advisory panel, you won't, i mean if you ever critical of the station. maybe we need to infiltrate that way, yeah i love everything you play, can i please be part of the advisory panel so i can help you justify keeping rock and roll in the crapper?

sorry my blabber infection is acting up

only got through 1 1/2 listens on this thing so far. not sure how i can compare it to the other releases thus far but liking most of it from the first listen

still loving this disc after multiple listens.......i'm thinking mr. bonham (listed as the writer of the music) may need to send a check to geddy and alex in rush for the opening riff in "common man"......sounds dangerously close to "tom sawyer" for a bit....i love the song but it for sure puts me in the tom sawyer frame of mind when it comes on.

Speaking of Common Man, I love the ending jam.  You can feel the fun they were having.

"what's the point of race cars, rocket ships and rock and roll?"

I guess we will always have great memories of the shows they did perform.  Im glad I traveled from Ohio to catch this one in New Jersey.  What a great show it was!!!  http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Live+Sa … 11/8312523

Doug

Chuck Johnson wrote:

Speaking of Common Man, I love the ending jam.  You can feel the fun they were having.

agreed

Weakest album for me personally. Sounds too Glenn...some songs just don't catch my ear.
Still a solid album...just has no buuurrrn!
Three great songs for me.
Big Train - wow, that verse sounds like the side of a mountain falling away...so, so heavy. This is how Glenn's bass should have always sounded - great Orange!
The Confessor - Again, thunking bass. Rocks along. Keyboards...finally! Kevin must be anti-keyboards...or very guitar and vocally orientated...
Afterglow - Easily the best song on the album - probably one of the nicest intros they've ever done. Killer riff. Holds a lot of power.
Joe might have said it himself, but I sadly agree...his playing here just sounds a bit (understated) for want of a harsher word. No solos that made me take notice...still, some nice tones.
Drums don't sound as powerful as I thought they would be...it's just bass and rhythm guitar mix...
Super cliche lyrics...got very bored after one run through...sorry, trying to be honest as a giant fan of BCC.

Maybe I've just been too blown away by this Zeppelin release...

Got it! big_smile
Time for some spins.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

DaveWammbarro wrote:

Weakest album for me personally. Sounds too Glenn...some songs just don't catch my ear.
Still a solid album...just has no buuurrrn!
Three great songs for me.
Big Train - wow, that verse sounds like the side of a mountain falling away...so, so heavy. This is how Glenn's bass should have always sounded - great Orange!
The Confessor - Again, thunking bass. Rocks along. Keyboards...finally! Kevin must be anti-keyboards...or very guitar and vocally orientated...
Afterglow - Easily the best song on the album - probably one of the nicest intros they've ever done. Killer riff. Holds a lot of power.
Joe might have said it himself, but I sadly agree...his playing here just sounds a bit (understated) for want of a harsher word. No solos that made me take notice...still, some nice tones.
Drums don't sound as powerful as I thought they would be...it's just bass and rhythm guitar mix...
Super cliche lyrics...got very bored after one run through...sorry, trying to be honest as a giant fan of BCC.

Maybe I've just been too blown away by this Zeppelin release...

Dont have it yet myself.I was hoping ,based on other reviews that this will be the the best of the three.But that is a subjective thing based on how it compares in contrast to the other 2.I mean it could be epic for some,but not hit the bullseye for others.I will reserve judgement till I give it some ear time.But thanks Dave for your take.Maybe it will grow on you.I have had some albums I was disapointed in on first listen,maybe geared up for a particular sound.Then gone back and really liked them listening to it in a different mindset.
I have read that there was to be  more Derek in Afterglow.Is that not the case?

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Still waiting on the post grrr....

On the journey of life, I chose the psycho path.
Like a bird on the wire, Like a drunk in a midnight choir I have tried in my way to be free.
Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Still waiting too - but I didn't order it. Found out online last night that that the release date here in Australia was Oct 22! The good music store where I've got all my JB and BCC stuff, had ordered 10 but not yet received them - apparently the distributor is a one man show, who's probably spending his weekend packing boxes of Afterglow! I can savor the wait a few more days anyway.

So (off topic now), not to leave empty handed, I found Black Sabbath's Seven Stars which of course has Glenn on lead vocals - and in his autobiography which I'm currently reading claims he wrote most of it. I also read Tony Iommi's book earlier in the year so it ties them together. Long story short, very much enjoyed it.

Just bought the CD from the local dealer.. Sounds really good! Bought "Live over Europe" blueray also.

Got it yesterday and after one spin it`s not as easy to swallow as 2 was (to me at least). Songs are good but no real stand out aka Song of Yesterday or Cold were. Glenn is on fire though, probably his best vocal performance of all 3. Joe is...hard to tell at the moment, but haven`t heard an out of this world solo yet. Thus far my favorite is The Circle (mind you after just one listen).

Commercially speaking however this could be a winner, it`s accessible without being commercial. It`s less heavy than 2, but more polish than 1. I can see why the critics so far are unanimous is saying it`s a great album, but as a fan stand point a few more spins are required, but I`m confident.

86 (edited by bongano 2012-10-27 12:34:47)

I agree with some of you. Not at the level of one and two. Maybe it has to grow on me but no in the face feelings as it was with the other albums. I sadly must agree: Joe's playing and tone is not fitting with the album. Too bluesy and it doesn't bite as much as a rock album should deserve. Also sounds to me like some of the solos are extemporary and not enough thought and studied. More like improvisations than structured solos. I'm sure a different production would have made this a great R&R work.

87 (edited by mightyduck 2012-10-28 13:43:46)

Ok, after a few more listens, it`s definitely a grower. More and more songs sound interesting compare to the first listen, and no I`m not trying to kid myself...I was listening to the album with my son and we were debating about Joe`s sound & solos on Afterglow and he was saying his playing brings a darker edge to the album. We`re so accustomed of hearing Joe play a certain style and sound that when he tries something different it`s kind of shocking. Thought he had an interesting observation. So people my advice is to give it a few shots before making your final decision about whether it`s good, great or not.

yeah definitely need more listens. I like the way you said that mightyduck. I've got some favs and some spots that i wish were not there. have to get the specifics before commenting.
Hope someone gives a shot at the lyrics, cause I want them but also for markers where i can point out some observations.

I've given it over twenty listens now...opinion hasn't changed. Afterglow is a great song though.

Jane H. wrote:

yeah definitely need more listens. I like the way you said that mightyduck. I've got some favs and some spots that i wish were not there. have to get the specifics before commenting.
Hope someone gives a shot at the lyrics, cause I want them but also for markers where i can point out some observations.

Seems like opinoins here not nearly as enthusiastic as for2 when it came out.However the media reviews have been "glowing"

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky