Topic: Elgin, IL 5-5-2007 with Carmine and Rick

Sorry it has taken so long to get these posted!

This was the first show with Carmine and Rick as members of the group! smile

Enjoy!  http://www.flickr.com/photos/photogal19 … 213031177/
They are best viewed as a slideshow.

~Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid

Re: Elgin, IL 5-5-2007 with Carmine and Rick

Wow Rhonda!!!  What a ton of pictures, but they are great. 

Question, what is behind Bogie, is it a gong???

Music is good for the Soul...

3 (edited by photogal 2007-05-14 20:17:29)

David,

It is a gong. I was talking to Bogie after the show and he said that it was already on the stage when they got there and thought it would be neat behind the drum set, especially since it is a Paiste like his cymbals.

~Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid

photogal wrote:

David,

It is a gong. I was talking to Bogie after the show and he said that it was already on the stage when they got there and thought it would be neat behind the drum set, especially since it is a Paiste like his symbols.

~Rhonda

Thanks Rhonda, I thought that is what it was.  John Bonham with Zep used a gong, now we need Joe to use a bow in dazed and confused!!!

Very nice pictures  !!   Thanks for sharing.......JBrules

Great photos once again Rhonda. Thanks!

7 (edited by photogal 2007-05-14 13:14:17)

BluesMan wrote:

Wow! Great pictures Rhonda!! I'm surprised you saw any of the show other than through the lens of your camera.

Belive it or not, I do see quite a bit of the show through the lens. I get in a zone and the music becomes the image. That is the challenge for me; to try and capture the essence of the emotions the musician, whether Joe, Bogie, Carmine, or Rick are experiencing with that piece of music at that particular moment in time.

Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't! Good excuse to see another show huh? lol

I was at the first HOB show in Dallas last week with Michael and they did not allow me to bring my camera in. It was a strange feeling and my hands did not quite know what to do with themselves! It was the first show that I have never photographed at.

~Rhonda

Rhonda,

Thanks for the photos...By the way, Keith Moon used a gong all the timw with THE WHO...

The Other Joe B.

Bizzer wrote:

Rhonda,

Thanks for the photos...By the way, Keith Moon used a gong all the timw with THE WHO...

The Other Joe B.

Oh yeah, I remember that now.  He used one in 73 when I saw them in Atlanta...

Thanks for sharing Rhonda!!

Andre Wittebroek.

Thanks for sharing! Love the smiley pie masks!! smile smile smile smile smile smile

Mary

LOL-ler-tastic.

Michael brought those with him for us to wear!

~Rhonda

13 (edited by Rocket 2007-05-14 20:03:24)

Bang a gong, get it on!  Great pictures Rhonda!  Cymbals dearie, symbols are like the peace sign, the blue wheelchair handicapped parking sign, and the dove on the guitar (Woodstock)....LMAO!!!! Those Smiley pies look familiar!!!  Drool over that sunburst Strat!  What did he play on it?

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

photogal wrote:

David,

It is a gong. I was talking to Bogie after the show and he said that it was already on the stage when they got there and thought it would be neat behind the drum set, especially since it is a Paiste like his symbols.

~Rhonda

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket,

Excuse my spelling....I thought the spelling looked a bit odd. I fixed it in my post lol.

The sunburst strat I believe was used on Mountain Time. Lee, help me out here! You have seen the sunburst strat, am I right on Mountain Time? lol

~Rhonda

photogal wrote:

Rocket,

Excuse my spelling....I thought the spelling looked a bit odd. I fixed it in my post lol.

The sunburst strat I believe was used on Mountain Time. Lee, help me out here! You have seen the sunburst strat, am I right on Mountain Time? lol

~Rhonda

OK. It was most likely "Django". He played it that night right? Having not been to that show I suppose it may have possibly been one of the new songs, but unlikely. The six or so times I saw Joe use the strat it was always on "Django".
"Mountain Time" is played on his Gigliotti.

Roy,

I use the Canon EOS 20D with a Canon EF 28-135mm IS lens. The settings for the camera will depend on the lighting situation. This particular show I had the camera set on H (3200) the highest ISO and was using the aperature priority setting. I never use flash during a concert, I feel that it washes out the natural look and feeling of it being a concert.

For me a key component in getting good concert photographs begins with knowing the type of lighting used for the stage. Most DSL cameras have a setting that can be changed for the lighting. This adjustment is related to the temperature of the lighinting used. I will usually look at a couple of settings, see which one gives less of the orange or pink cast and go from there. If the stage lighting uses colored gels it might mean that you will have to change your settings frequently or deal with the off colored shots.

The Canon EOS 20D uses a compact flash card. I set the camera on the largest file possible and also to capture a RAW file. Because of the large files, I usually fill up several cards. The Elgin show is the first show I shot in RAW file mode. The RAW file requires post processing, like taking traditional film to the lab..lol I use Photoshop's CS2 camera RAW software to post process. I go into each file and adjust the lighting, exposure, RGB colors and any other properties as needed. Needless to say this is very time consuming but I think it gives the best results. When I took the photos I set my camera for the lighting conditions but still found it necessary to go into the RAW files and make additional lighitng corrections.   

One thing I like about posting on the FLickr.com site is that you can see the settings for the camera for most photos. If you click on one of the photos in my Flickr site it will show the "Tags" and then below that "Additional Information". Below that it will show what camera was used. Click on the more properties and it will reveal all the settings for my camera for that particular shot. Look at this photo for an example  http://www.flickr.com/photos/photogal19 … 213031177/

Hope this information helps. If you have other questions feel free to contact me off the forum.

I also keep taking photos and changing settings until I get what I want! A good excuse to see more shows huh? lol

~Rhonda

AWESOME photos Rhonda.  Especially liked the two group photos with everyone.  Looks like you guys had a wild, crazy and absolutely fun time at the show.  Have to say.........Joe looks great in your pictures!!!  Thanks for sharing. 

Barbara

Rhonda, Your pictures are stunning. I am blown away by Nico'd poise!! Those shots are magical. And to see the group of smiley faces..too funny! Thanks, Cathy