Re: hi all beginners and those who like to explain or just guitartalk.....

Hey guys- just a quick suggestion when learning scales... don't just learn the scales for what they are (don't learn the scales just based on the patterns) in order to be able to effectively solo, you need to make sure you know at all times, no matter what key you're in, where the notes in the given scale are... you should be able to play the same licks all over the neck... also, if you are having some trouble remembering where some notes are, think of the scales in octave terms, like this:

Cmaj:

G   F   E  D  C  B   G  F   E  D  C  B  G  F E D C B
-15-13-12------------------------------------------------------------
-----------15-13-12--------------------------------------------------
-----------------------12-10-9---------------------------------------
--------------------------------12-10-9------------------------------
------------------------------------------10-8-7---------------------
--------------------------------------------------10-8-7-------------

That is part of the C Maj scale- the same 6 notes (G, F, E, D, C, B) played in 3 different places on the neck- if you ever get lost when playing a scale in an odd place, remember that (if your playing on the low E, A, D, or G string) that the same note you're playing an octave lower is down 2 frets 2 strings lower (for example if you're playing an A on the G string (14th fret) then the lower octave of that note is the A on the A string (12th fret)) If you're playing on either the high E or B strings, you'll just need to go down 3 frets and 2 strings (ex. if you're playing a G on the E string (15th fret) the lower octave of that note is the G on the G string (12th fret))...  Also, I cannot stress enough how important it is to know every single note youre playing- you should be able to hit any note anywhere on the neck and automatically know what note it is- it should come as easy as reading... make some flashcards up and practice that until you can get the note without hesitating- this might seem tedious at first, but in the long run it becomes so much of an asset- I can't tell you how much easier it got to play when I finally memorized the notes everywhere on the fretboard... One more thing: If you're soloing- don't forget that you DO NOT have to play notes only from the one scale you're thinking of- don't forget to add in some harmonic minor, diminished, straight Major or Minor (and all the modes), or Major and Minor Pentatonic, even add some odd scales in there too- the more you know and know how to use effectively the better (personally I love adding in harmonic minor to pentatonic- I've noticed that Joe does this sometimes and it creates a really interesting sound)... also dont' be afraid to play a wrong note here and there- if you land on a note that fits within the context of the song, as long as you don't hold onto that wrong note very long, it will sound alright...

Hopefully this made some sense- if you have any questions about anything I said- don't hesitate to ask... sorry if some of it doesn't make any sense- I just kinda kept writing with things that came to mind and I didn't read it over (oops haha)...

Hope this helps and keep playing,
Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

Once you get one of the Major Scale Fingerings memorized, you need to practice playing the scale. Here's some tips for scale practice:

1. KEEP TIME

Tap your foot, on the ground. Every time your foot hits the ground, count "One", "Two", "Three", or "Four". Every time your foot comes up, say "And".
       One Beat = "One And".

So, while tapping your foot four times, you should count; "One And Two And Three And Four And".

2. USE PROPER FINGERING

Use the correct fret-hand finger. Also, place your fingers right behind the frets. Not in the middle, between the frets. Get them as close as possible.

3. KEEP TIME

(See #1).

4. ALTERNATE PICKING

If you play a note with a Downstroke, play the next note with an Upstroke. If you play a note with an Upstroke, play the next note with a Downstroke.

5. KEEP TIME

6. ASCEND AND DESCEND

Play the scale from the lowest note to the highest note, across all 6 strings. Also play the scale from the highest note to the lowest note, across all 6 strings.

7. KEEP TIME

(See a pattern, here?)

*  Start with 1/4 Notes. Play one note every time your foot taps the ground, and you count a number.

When you can do that easily, try 1/8 Notes. Play one note when your foot taps the ground. Play another note when your foot comes up, and you count an "And".

These techniques are a good way to start practicing any scale you want to learn.

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

Also playing digital patterns and intervallic exercises can help.

One example is too play the scale in thirds, play the 1st note followed by the 3rd then the 2nd note followed by the 4th and so on as an example.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

hi all best people!!! .... i have no time to post any more .....lol
but im glad this postings help me very mutch ......the rhythem advice helps mutch
in all way
best thing is that i can read tabulatur now .....smile
ok greetz all ya and thank you to spend so mutch time
Geko

Here's something REALLY cool. It's called Power Tab Editor. It's a FREE software, for writing your own TABLATURE. You can print, save, edit, etc. It automatically adds the standard music notation, when you type in the TAB numbers. Plus, you can play your TAB back, and listen to it. This is a great feature, as it lets you check your work.

You can also search "PowerTabs" on the net, instead of regular TABs. They are usually far more accurate. Plus, you can listen to them to hear if they're correct,  before you try to learn them.

Here's the link:

http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php

Keep Pickin'

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

Hi budda thank you for the link ......nice Programm  but it takes some time to handle it
because its all in english ....and by the way next week i have the Theory proof to be a Gas and water Installateur so i all the day learn for school .......and only play little time in the evening
Next wendsday i write my last clausur  and then i hop im through and get my diplom
after that i have more time to play and look at the programm how to do with it
thank you very mutch

Best people in this forum
im glad to have found this Bonamassa site....smile
greetz all

Rock on smile

Geko,

If you've already installed the Power Tab software, you can open or download this:

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?3384283

I think you'll dig it!

that link i knew bevore
but bevore i could not read the tabulatur
now with your help i can do smile       so mutch work
because what i see is that there is not one song that would be easy learn to play
at Mr . Bonamassas setlist....
the beginning of colour and shape i can play now mabye 30 seconds of the song ....lol
ok greetz
Geko

Yeah,

Just remember that Joe has been playing for quite awhile now. So have most of the people you hear on CDs. So, you can't expect to sound like a professional in a year. It's going to take some time. But, you can enjoy what you're doing, and gauge your own playing against itself. "Am I better than I was last month? Or, last year?"

Learning to play isn't a race. It's a journey. Enjoy it! Remember, you can't truly enjoy the view from the summit, unless you climb the mountain yourself.

Budda you have take the name to right because you talk like budda its very wise ...smile
and i learn very quick with your advice ...now i have problems to play physical that what i like to play in my mind and cant go to that fast licks`..... its ......to eat spiders from the wall .....lol
but ok that needs mutch training ....i love it thats the sport i do now from my 36 jears  old till i bite the grass....this way
see ya hope you are fine
Geko

Geko,

Is there someone that can help you translate your posts into English because I really enjoy reading them but I have a hard time understanding them. Hope you are not offended.

One thing that always puzzled me was why Tarzan didn't have a beard.

hi andy i speak english now for six month but i do my best to write it better and learn as mutch i can
please give me some time ......

are you beginner in guitar playing ?
greez
geko

Geko wrote:

hi andy i speak english now for six month but i do my best to write it better and learn as mutch i can
please give me some time ......

are you beginner in guitar playing ?
greez
geko

Let's put it this way. You speak better English than I play guitar. Hey, that's pretty good for only six months. Good luck.

One thing that always puzzled me was why Tarzan didn't have a beard.

Hi there here is Geko someone likes play Guitar  with me on msn messenger ??? Video chat???Smaltalk Guitar playing or what ever you like talk to me ..........waiting for you.....Who ever( its on you )...smile
Geko

Stop dicking around in your bedroom, noodling and widdling away. Get out there and do it.....if you've never gigged then find a Jam Night at a local club/pub/bar or whatever and get up there and play. Use your ears, heart and soul.....and be open to all kinds of music. TAB is for wimps......get the original recording and learn it from there, the hard way. Every TAB I've ever seen is someones interpretation and usually wrong. I've seen kids ask for TAB on a 3 chord song.....how sad is that? Most of all....enjoy yourself....it's supposed to be fun too!

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

you are right gsi i just ask for someone who like to play and chat with me on msn there its possible to watch on cam ....so its very nice technology we can use ........why not???
greets by Geko

Absolutely my friend.

Geko wrote:

you are right gsi i just ask for someone who like to play and chat with me on msn there its possible to watch on cam ....so its very nice technology we can use ........why not???
greets by Geko

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Geko,

How's the guitar playing coming along? Have you got that Major Scale down, yet?