Re: I'M BONAMAXED OUT

Maybe it's just all prerecorded.  Yah think John?

Joe Beacon, I'd say we could surmise Joe figures every NEW attendee deserves the same set as the last? Sounds like a fair deal from a performing artist's position...try a show in NYC on Broadway, all the same every night by design!  Many go again.  And again. And Again. And Again & again....

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

John M wrote:
ZCat wrote:

How much variety was there in the playlist in all those shows? I saw Joe twice in Vegas last year about a month apart, and he played the exact same show both times.

Yep, same setlist. Even the same solos.

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

John M wrote:
ZCat wrote:

How much variety was there in the playlist in all those shows? I saw Joe twice in Vegas last year about a month apart, and he played the exact same show both times.

Same attitude and suspect agenda John M. The toleration of your sarcastic comments is over.

Thank you Jim M.......

~Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid

BluesMan wrote:
jim m wrote:
John M wrote:

Same attitude and suspect agenda John M. The toleration of your sarcastic comments is over.

I second that motion, Jim! Who cares if Joe plays the same setlist night after night. It's still the same GREAT QUALITY show that Joe and the band puts out....THAT'S what really counts!! Heck, today on the way to work I realized I've got all 5 of Joe's CDs in my car's 6 CD changer. Do you think I get bored? Heck no! I used to do the same thing with my Stevie Ray Vaughn collection. Hey, when Clapton is on a world tour, do you think he changes his setlist from night to night? Of course not! Last time I saw him he was on tour in support of his "One More Car One More Rider" double CD. The songs from those CDs were almost exactly the same as the show I attended and I still went out and bought the CD.

From what I can see, Joe is on the cusp of really making it BIG. Many of his shows are now switching from small clubs to theatres. Anyone that has gotten to see Joe at a small club, regardless of the setlist, should thank their lucky stars. We all have been lucky to witness the development of one of the great Rock/Blues guitarist of anytime!!

Right on the mark Roy.  I have said it before that EC plays basically the same setlist from night to night.  But we still go and see him, Why?  Because he is Eric.

We go to see Joe because he is some gifted musican and we loved his music.

Music is good for the Soul...

23 (edited by susan 2007-05-16 12:26:14)

Rocket wrote:

Maybe it's just all prerecorded.  Yah think John?

Joe Beacon, I'd say we could surmise Joe figures every NEW attendee deserves the same set as the last? Sounds like a fair deal from a performing artist's position...try a show in NYC on Broadway, all the same every night by design!  Many go again.  And again. And Again. And Again & again....

Rocket

John M wrote:
ZCat wrote:

Very good point Rocket.  I'm pretty sure Joe has thought about what he's doing. I, for one, am usually not fortunate enough to see multiple shows one after the other, but if I were, I wouldn't expect them to be different every night. 

Next week I'll be attending my third show in 10 months and each of the last two shows were very different from each other and I know next weeks show will be different.  (New band, new album and all).

I guess you just can't please everyone.

Susan hmm

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

Joe has more music brains at 30 than most of us will ever have. He's also done this for a long time and given us more cd/dvd's then most artists do....Just keep on keeping on....I am concerned about burn-out because Michael Lynch is still silent............clap your hands and say "I believe".........

25 (edited by photogal 2007-05-16 13:19:13)

I think Michael is still recovering. His yellow with black stripes tour bus left him in Dallas and he had to find his own way to the airport and the last 3 shows! That can be extremely wearing on one's body! lol

I think he will be back soon! I see him lurking now on the forum.. Come out come out Michael........lol smile smile miss you!

~Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid

Well my thought's on this are that every show joe does is different therefore entertaining because the genius he is if you LISTEN ! .  Songs for example like "Mountain Time" "Walk in my shadow" & "Woke up dreaming" are played with a fluent Natural spontaneity meaning they are unrehearsed improvisation with Joe just Flowing with the song , So in Answer to your question ..... yes it IS different ........ And as set lists they do change , Just a couple of Instances "Blues Deluxe" coming into the set in ROME and had'nt been heard for sometime ..... also when Joe started this leg of U S tour in Elgin there was no "One of these days" next date Dallas there it was in all its Chunky Blues/Rock Glory. again in Dallas first night no new acoustic version of "If Heartaches were Nickels" 2nd night there it was , so there you go i could go on , and i don't know how joe feels about this.
But i tell ya when you see him doing different sounds , pull offs , note bending on and just improvising on Mountain Time ...... it's worth the Ticket alone  .....  smile

hope i made sense

.......................... michael

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Fans have to take a breath and realize the bottom line to MANY thoughts they think...this is YOUR entertainment, but for guys like Joe Bonamassa & Carmine, Rick, & Bogie, it's THEIR livlihood...Joe's the man in charge, and he's a MAJOR independent, not like the old days when the suits, despite being major pains in the rear and rip-off "artists", could take care of so many little things, and the big things, like expenses on the road.  No matter how much expenses and general operations are tried to be kept in order, things go amuck, and they are just plain wacko sometimes! Let alone the biggest problem of all-DAMN EXPENSIVE to tour, no matter how frugal you are!!!!!!!!  SO, a little rehearsal has to cover much of the so-called (if any) "free time" an artist has on the road.  One less thing to think and wonder and worry about is to stick to the plan.  Ask our Street Team Leader how much frustration almost came from a simple "breakdown" (I am over simplifying simple perhaps).  Cancel a show because-"How the heck are we gonna get us & our things there"? Shows are in jeopardy every time one is scheduled!!! What if you are wondering if you'll have a hard time believing you'll make it through the night without getting sick, right before you go on? Or something bugging the back of your mind? Family situations? Let's face it, that bottom line I mentioned, regarding our desires, whether it's setlists, song requests, cover fantasies, city stopovers, venue appearances, etc., all are just that-fantasies, and are not reality for a working man whose sole fantasy is being a Troubador in Paradise, not having Trouble in Paradise!

Rock On & Keep the Faith & the Setlist,
Rocket

P.S.-Please put "Rock Steady" into the setlist Joe :-D

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

As usual I understand you Jane, but understand I'm not being critical or even defensive, just trying to promote understanding of things that can always be out of our hands, just because.  Basically I was knocking down John M because, well just because.  I have been at the forefront to defend the "nuances" and "freeform" aspects of Joe's playing, which do require a little bit of critical listening...as does Joe's propensity for little "sneaks" of song snippets, just because he feels like playing them and / or just to see if anyone heard them!  Didn't you get my humor when I asked Joe to put in "Rock Steady"?! Translation: Change the setlist at will, Joe...or will not....      :-)

Rocket

Michael,
I'm sure you'll get rejuvenated soon, and in time for the next show near you.
Many of us are envious of the run you've just had, but can understand the need for a break. Hope to see you down the road somewhere.
Bill S.
P.S. Discussions regarding Joe's setlist are a bit off topic here. Perhaps someone should start a new thread.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

15 Joe Bonamassa concerts in a matter of 2 1/2 months, 6 different countries, shows at consecutive clips of 4-6... the setlist needs to be part of the topic.  Off topic from this topic but in line with your P.S. Bill, so many topics drift away on internet forums!  Unsubscribing to a topic is a way for me to bail when that left turn in Albuquerque is missed...

Rocket

Bill S wrote:

Michael,
Many of us are envious of the run you've just had, but can understand the need for a break. Hope to see you down the road somewhere.
Bill S.
P.S. Discussions regarding Joe's setlist are a bit off topic here. Perhaps someone should start a new thread.

Michael,

It was nice to meet you at the Dallas, HOB show, the 1st one.  I wish I could travel over Europe and see him live.  I am Joe envious.  Thanks for the video copy that you shared with me.  I loved seeing the story by Jane Pauley.  Are you going to be here for the October show at Cowboys?  Maybe my wife and I will come to Europe to see a show and would like to visit with you again.  Safe travels.

Clay Saylors
Dallas

Rocket wrote:

15 Joe Bonamassa concerts in a matter of 2 1/2 months, 6 different countries, shows at consecutive clips of 4-6... the setlist needs to be part of the topic.  Off topic from this topic but in line with your P.S. Bill, so many topics drift away on internet forums!  Unsubscribing to a topic is a way for me to bail when that left turn in Albuquerque is missed...

Rocket

Bill S wrote:

Michael,
Bill S.

Hey Rocket, I probably sounded a little whiny, but I was having fun reading about Michael's exploits...and having had his fill of Joe shows, which was interesting. Suddenly it became a debate about whether or not Joe should mix up his setlist or not....like we've never heard that discussion before. I'm sure I've highjacked a few threads before, so I probably shouldn't be complaining. Guess I should cut down on the caffeine!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Hi Michael,

Glad you got home safely. Hope you a great time across that big blue ocean.
But you're gonna join us (annelies, me and everybody else that is coming)in Paradiso right?! (october, so you can have a little rest).

Greetz!!