Re: Favorite Lyrics

First thing I remember was askin' papa, why, for there were many things I didn't know
And daddy always smiled, took me by the hand, sayin', someday you'll understand..

Well, I'm here to tell you now each and ev'ry mother's son!
You better learn it fast! You better learn it young! 'cause someday never comes....

Well, time and tears went by and I collected dust, for there were many things I didn't know
When daddy went away, he said, try to be a man and someday you'll understand...

You better learn it fast! You better learn it young! 'cause someday never comes...

And then, one day in April, I wasn't even there, for there were many things I didn't know
A son was born to me, mama held his hand, sayin', someday you'll understand...

You better learn it fast! You better learn it young! 'cause someday never comes... ooh someday never comes...

Think it was September, the year I went away, for there were many things I didn't know...
And I still see him standing, try'n' to be a man, I said, someday you'll understand.

You better learn it fast! You better learn it young! 'cause someday never comes, someday never comes

I almost got caught in the very last draft for Vietnam, missed it by about 6 months. I was so scared I was going to have to go, or move to Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKPBAtmMDIs

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Lord, I feel like goin' home
I've tried and I failed and I'm tired and weary
And everything I've done was wrong
And I feel like going home

Lord, I tried to see it through
But it was too much for me
Now I'm coming home to you
I feel like goin' home

Clouded skies are closin' in
And not a friend around to help me
Of all the places I have been
Now I feel like going home

Lord, I feel like going home
I've tried and I failed and I'm tired -n- weary
And everything I've done was wrong
Lord, I feel like going home

I want to come home. It's been so long since I've been away
And please, don't blame me 'cause I've tried
I'll be coming home soon to your love to stay
Coming home to stay
Coming home to your love, mama
I've seen better days

I miss old friends that I once had
Times had changed and I'll be glad when I go home
I don't know why the thought came to me
But why I'm here I really can't see. And now...

I want to come home. It's been so long since I've been away
And please, don't blame me 'cause I've tried
I'll be coming home soon to your love to stay
Coming home to stay
Coming home to your love, mama
I've seen better days

After all that we've been through
I find, that when I think of you
A warm south wind runs through and through
In my heart, there's only you

Queen of Hearts- Gregg Allman

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

thanks for reviving this Bill, I've run into some real good ones but will only post this today. No way to reprint this here, way too bombastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVmB3lRjCmc

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

sally12333 wrote:

I know someone can help me.  What are Joe's lyrics in Slow Train, in the line after "Eighteen days in the cotton field"??

This came out in one of Joe's interviews:
It's enough to put a man on a Cooley board.

Joe explained that this was a board they used to carry off the workers that died constructing the railroad (I'm not sure if I got the spelling correct).
This was a great piece of information, because it makes those lyrics so much more powerful when you understand what that line is actually saying.

44 (edited by Rocket 2013-12-05 14:37:06)

Bill S wrote:
sally12333 wrote:

I know someone can help me.  What are Joe's lyrics in Slow Train, in the line after "Eighteen days in the cotton field"??

Joe explained that this was a board they used to carry off the workers that died constructing the railroad (I'm not sure if I got the spelling correct).
This was a great piece of information, because it makes those lyrics so much more powerful when you understand what that line is actually saying.

I think it refers to "coolie," and in railroad terms meant Chinese persons.  Coolies were voluntary (laborers)/involuntary (slaves), and assumed various roles, not just rail laborers. 

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket wrote:
Bill S wrote:
sally12333 wrote:

I think it refers to "coolie," and in railroad terms meant Chinese persons.  Coolies were voluntary (laborers)/involuntary (slaves), and assumed various roles, not just rail laborers. 

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

Thanks Rocket...I had this nagging feeling that I was spelling this incorrectly, and of course you're right...a veritable font of information, lol!!

Bill S wrote:
sally12333 wrote:

Wow Bill, perfect!  Thank you a bunch for relieving my ongoing worries about this!  And coming from a Joe interview verifies it better than anything

At one point one of the lyrics sites said it was "Enough to pull a man out of coup d'amore" - It didn't make any sense even when translated but what you reported certainly does!  Yes, growing up I always heard the word coolies referring to working class "Chinamen".

Really appreciate it!

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

sally12333 wrote:
Bill S wrote:
sally12333 wrote:

Wow Bill, perfect!  Thank you a bunch for relieving my ongoing worries about this!  And coming from a Joe interview verifies it better than anything

At one point one of the lyrics sites said it was "Enough to pull a man out of coup d'amore" - It didn't make any sense even when translated but what you reported certainly does!  Yes, growing up I always heard the word coolies referring to working class "Chinamen".

Really appreciate it!

Sorry for the delay...I heard this many months ago. Every time I heard Slow Train I thought how I needed to find this topic and clear this up, but it was always out of sight, out of mind!

Blood in the streets in the town of New Haven
Blood stains the roof and the palm trees of Venice
Blood in my love in the terrible summer
Bloody red sun of Phantastic L.A.
   My favorite verse from the Doors "Peace Frog"

Murfdog

"Blood in the streets is up to my ankles!"
"Blood in the streets is up to my knees"

murfdog wrote:

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Blood in the streets in the town of Chicago
Blood on the rise, it's following me ! !

Rocket wrote:

murfdog wrote:

Murfdog

51 (edited by Rocket 2013-12-07 18:22:33)

("she came") "She came into town and then she drove away, sunlight in her hair..."............"...Indians scattered on dawn's highway, bleeding...""...ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind..." Jim Morrison, poet

murfdog wrote:

Blood in the streets in the town of Chicago
Blood on the rise, it's following me ! !

Rocket wrote:

murfdog wrote:

It was 10:49
When I said my last goodbye
It was 10:49
When I said my last goodbye
You closed your eyes
I finally opened mine

Aaron Williams and the Hoodoo
from the album and song of the same name (10:49)

53 (edited by Bill S 2013-12-27 19:52:12)

By the way...Aaron Williams and the Hoodoo are playing at Buddy Guys in Chicago tomorrow night at 9:30pm. If you're looking for something to do tomorrow, this will be a great show.
I'll be there, hopefully sitting up front!

Since we are on an AWATH kick,
She's good at what she does.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381