Topic: HOB Dallas, 2nd show Review

Howdy folks,
The 2nd Dallas show was very different for my son, Brandon, and I.  Joe made good on his promise to set us up at side stage for the show and we really had a way good time.  It just shows how much Joe cares about his fans and doing the right thing and this is why he is such a class act.  Brandon and I hung back a little but Joe's guitar tech pulled Brandon right up next to Joe's guitar cabinet to watch the show.  From our vantage point there I realized that the stage was portable, not in concrete or anything so there is hope that HOB would replace it with a higher one for future shows.  Not that it matters because Joe will be playing in the big room where he belongs in no time.  The other thing we noticed from our vantage point was the really happy faces of all the people at the front by the stage.  Who doesn't love to see Joe?
It was obvious that Joe talked to HOB management because the security presence seemed greatly reduced and we didn't see any incidents.  Joe also told the crowd to take all the pictures they wanted...they are always welcome to at his shows.  I couldn't get my camera past security though so was unable to take pictures but some people managed to get theirs in and hopefully will share their shots with us.
We were able to visit with the great Carmine Rojas during Bogie's drum solo and after the show a bit...what a cool guy.  Bogie was talking to fans after the show and we got to say hi to him too.  The crew was busy packing up for the haul to Amarillo for tonight's show so after Joe took a shower, his road manager was kind enough to take us back to the 'green room' and we chatted a little with Joe and got all four of the guys to sign a set list that we'll frame and hang in Brandon's room.  The kid wasn't easy to wake up for school this morning but I figure every time we see Joe it's an education in itself and my little guitar player is getting schooled in the Blues.  The new songs are really great and we're both counting the days till August when we can hear the whole CD (or maybe get an earlier European release smile
On a side note, George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic was playing in the big room and some of their people came in through the stage doors we were standing by and man, they looked pimpiliscious.  Even Queen Latifah walked right by us.
Thank you again Joe, Carmine, Bogie, Rick, for showing us a great time and for being such classy guys!!
We'll be seeing you again just a little ways down the road.
Zoltan & Brandon

Re: HOB Dallas, 2nd show Review

Great review, Z, and glad to hear things went better than the night before. It sounds like it was an incredible show.

I got to talk with Carmine a bit at the Elgin show and agree he is also a class act and a great addition to the band.

Nancy

I'm just saying.

Great story.  Sounds like a great evening and not one that your son or you will soon forget. That was really nice of Joe to take the time to make up for the bad experience you had and to ask Security to loosen up with pictures.  Like you said,  one more example of how Joe cares about his fans and doing the right thing.

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

Hey Z, glad to hear that everything worked out for you and your son.  Joe is indeed a class act and to see the show behind the scenes is different for sure.

Music is good for the Soul...

I was at the Wednesday show and Joe was fantastic.  The new songs are great and I'm impatiently waiting the new CD release. 

The keyboards were a great addition.  What's his name?  I've never heard keyboards sound that good.  Some songs it sounded like a very warm overdriven guitar with big upright acoustic sound, just awesome.  Would love to know he pulled that off.

HOB does need to raise the stage in there.

skip62 wrote:

The keyboards were a great addition.  What's his name?  I've never heard keyboards sound that good.

Rick Mellick.

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

We were at HOB Cambridge Room last Sunday night for the subdudes.  THEY HAD THE STAGE RAISED to 2 FEET!  Was better for those not in the first couple rows...still don't like their attitude there with the wait outside to get in (you'd think they'd want us inside spending $ on drinks), with no one working there knowing what's going on, with the purse searches and security crap...but at least they raised the stage.

And, one of our friends that had written a complaint letter to the HOB Dallas after the 2 Joe shows said the HOB responded saying they told Joe they'd have him on the Main Stage next time he comes back to HOB.  So we'll see.  I'd say, go back to the Granada, Joe. :-)