Re: Wildwood guitars has gloss top CS GOld top JB for sale

My surprise is that the artists don't have something in their contracts with Gibson requiring their approval before any new or extended runs are produced.

If I was a lawyer involved in an artists image rights it would be the first thing on the damn contract, if I was Joe I'd certainly be questioning my managements legal contract skills. Or just ask Gibson to find a NOS 1959 les paul for me as compensation.

alex.p wrote:

My surprise is that the artists don't have something in their contracts with Gibson requiring their approval before any new or extended runs are produced.

If I was a lawyer involved in an artists image rights it would be the first thing on the damn contract, if I was Joe I'd certainly be questioning my managements legal contract skills. Or just ask Gibson to find a NOS 1959 les paul for me as compensation.

I vote lets wait and see what Joe finds out.

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

cindyron wrote:
alex.p wrote:

I vote lets wait and see what Joe finds out.

+1

My plan is to be patient and wait to hear back from Joe.

conorb

I agree !!!

It appears that a few have sold. Probably by people who've seen this thread or similar threads on other forums wanting to grab one before they're possibly stopped, or as some have said that they've wanted a unaged JBLP and haven't been able to find one for sale.

Will these cheapen the original unaged JBLP's? In my opinion no, not really. First run will always be the first run. 2009/2010 was a banner time for the custom shop. They put out some of their best guitars using top grade woods during that time frame. This run doesn't impress me at all. But hey, if it floats your boat, go for it if you want a laminated swiss cheese guitar.

Even if Gibson-Wildwood were legally allowed to produce this run under a previous contract, I find it very distasteful/disrespectful that neither company asked for Joe's blessing, considering the favorable relationship they once shared.

Just my two cents.

Spider wrote:

It appears that a few have sold. Probably by people who've seen this thread or similar threads on other forums wanting to grab one before they're possibly stopped, or as some have said that they've wanted a unaged JBLP and haven't been able to find one for sale.

Will these cheapen the original unaged JBLP's? In my opinion no, not really. First run will always be the first run. 2009/2010 was a banner time for the custom shop. They put out some of their best guitars using top grade woods during that time frame. This run doesn't impress me at all. But hey, if it floats your boat, go for it if you want a laminated swiss cheese guitar.

Even if Gibson-Wildwood were legally allowed to produce this run under a previous contract, I find it very distasteful/disrespectful that neither company asked for Joe's blessing, considering the favorable relationship they once shared.

Just my two cents.

I agree with you completely...this really burns me up they did not ask Joe.
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

ahsmith33 wrote:

am watching this topic with some interest, but not thinking about buying one. Actually, depending on the rosewood species, it should be more dense than maple today because the new growth maple is being harvested too quickly. Maple, especially white maple the sapwood, has become a fav with architects and interior designers for doors, cabinets, and flooring. Why do we see so many baseball bats splintering into pieces? It wasn't like this 5 to 6 years ago. FWIW

Jimmy wrote:
AD3THREE wrote:

Sounds like cost saving to me...  and the video where he said they would cross grain is totally there.  Does the CEO at Gibson even play guitar?  Also I thought Rosewood was supposed to last longer then maple.  Henry said that maple is harder and stronger so it lasts longer then rosewood...but how many strats have we seen with warn out fret boards???  Henry seems doped up in ever video they make does anybody else think that?

Maple is harder than Rosewood, but it shows more wear because it's a light-colored wood. Once the lacquer wears away, it's easy to stain it with grime and oil.

Being in the construction business specifically paint contracting where I specialize in cabinet finishing. We build cabinets on the job and finish in place here. The maple you are talking about is two different species. The harder species is Sugar Maple. This was the standard Maple used until about 15 years ago and also what baseball bats are made of,  then it was replaced by Silver Maple.  Silver Maple is a much softer wood and may have dark grey streaks in it. It is graded stain grade which lacks the grey streaks or paint grade that contains some grey. Another softer maple the Red Maple is used in furniture and musical instruments is also softer than Sugar Maple and faster growing but does not contain the grey streaks.

ACF wrote:

I guess we are still waiting to see what happened with this new run of gloss Gold Tops. I feel bad for the people who thought they had one of a small run of guitars. Fact is there are no more rare or collectable guitars these days. Gibson will build anything that sells. I'm waiting for them to start another run of Rossingtons so instead of mine being #24 of 250 it will be 24 of 2500.

They will probably sell off the 40 or so made for Wildwood.....but that does not solve the issue here....
These 40 Gloss tops DO NOT EVEN Compare with the 25 from the inital run.....
At least with the Jimmy page model(s)...they did not make more of them......and I'm sure they could have ....
I don't think they will make more of the Rossington models....

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

Yes, they will probably sell all 40 of these Gloss editions.  After all, demand for Joe's Gold Top models is still really high from what I can see.  I know it still was a couple of years back when I started my hunt for one.

It looks like the Bonaburst editions aren't selling as well as they hoped.  Most people must be telling them "But I want Joe's Gold Top".  Result?  WW's marketing division decide to get a batch of Gold Tops made up and put them in their store.

Part of the reason for this disparity?  Possibly because Joe still plays his Gold Top prototype #1 on stage these days, and they feature heavily on his still popular RAH DVD.  To be fair, he also plays his Bonaburst, but this has been refinished and looks nothing like the ones on the Wildwood catalogue.

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

100 (edited by ACF 2012-09-02 20:57:39)

While I would agree with airportdom that the first run of Gold Tops were better guitars. Because of the two ply fret boards on the new ones alone. I'm not sure they could have made more Page's with out Jimmy agreeing to it. I'm pretty sure he took Gibson to court on that Page run in the mid 90's because they started shipping them with parts not approved by Jimmy. He seemed to be pretty on top of what guitars had his name on them.

Just to be clear about what I ment about the first run of JB Gold Tops being better. I think the right words would be "more desirable".

Anthony

They may sell all 40...eventually, if all 40 are produced.  While there is a lot of love for Joe's GT, there's not much love out there for 2 piece fingerboards, especially at $4,300.  Weight-relieved will probably factor in as well. While a couple or three have been sold, they're not flying off the shelves.   Remember when a couple of the original JBLP GTs popped on their site a year ago or so, they weren't there for more than a couple of hours.  Only time will tell.

Re: Jimmy Page models - yes, good they didn't make more, however, they made 25 Murphy aged guitars signed by JP, 150 Murphy aged unsigned models, 870 Custom Authentic non-Murphy aged guitars produced, the run ran from 2004 to 2007, so there was good chance of getting at least a CA.

I think Joe has 2 BonaBursts, #52(?) was sent to HM and painted black for the BCC tour.  I think he still has original in BonaBurst.  Though I didn't see it on the Spring tour.

jclark42796 wrote:

They may sell all 40...eventually, if all 40 are produced.  While there is a lot of love for Joe's GT, there's not much love out there for 2 piece fingerboards, especially at $4,300.  Weight-relieved will probably factor in as well. While a couple or three have been sold, they're not flying off the shelves.   Remember when a couple of the original JBLP GTs popped on their site a year ago or so, they weren't there for more than a couple of hours.  Only time will tell.

Re: Jimmy Page models - yes, good they didn't make more, however, they made 25 Murphy aged guitars signed by JP, 150 Murphy aged unsigned models, 870 Custom Authentic non-Murphy aged guitars produced, the run ran from 2004 to 2007, so there was good chance of getting at least a CA.

I think Joe has 2 BonaBursts, #52(?) was sent to HM and painted black for the BCC tour.  I think he still has original in BonaBurst.  Though I didn't see it on the Spring tour.

I still think the Page models are some of GIBSON's Finest reproductions to this date....

103 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2012-09-04 13:19:04)

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Honestly.... I didn't know these guitars even existed..... I am gonna inquire about them today... I am as surprised as you are and frankly  not thrilled....
I will keep you posted..
Joe B

Hmmm,
I had higher hopes for Gibson in terms of communication. Or at least you could be noticing royalty checks coming in! cool
Goldtops are not even part of the live rig so much anymore. At least if Gibson is going to do a bonamassa run of les pauls, it should resemble a guitar used on the current tour, IMO. Magellan or Principle Skinner smile

I wonder if being held in the dark on this is going to affect your relationship with Gibson, not from Joe's end of J&R, but maybe Roy will reem them out. Interviews I've read with him are pretty hardcore from the business side of the Joe camp. Gibson has a good thing going with JB right now, and I'm very surprised something like this would happen without some kind of promotion, press release, or interview endorsement news from Joe. Gibson's marketing department seems to have dropped the ball, and their management never notified the endorsee? Craziness.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I'm sure they just saw a market.  Hey this guys is the only one selling signature models lets turn that knob and milk this cash cow for what its worth.

AD3THREE wrote:

I'm sure they just saw a market.  Hey this guys is the only one selling signature models lets turn that knob and milk this cash cow for what its worth.

It certainly seems that way.

Gibson Custom Joe Bonamassa Ltd Signature Les Paul VOS # 31

106 (edited by dknight16 2012-09-04 19:21:17)

Can't put the horse back in the stable, but maybe Gibson will be a little more forthcoming with the artist in the future?  Haha.  Yeah, right.

Sell baby, sell.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

dknight16 wrote:

Can't put the horse back in the stable, but maybe Gibson will be a little more forthcoming with the artist in the future?  Haha.  Yeah, right.

Sell baby, sell.

It just leaves me with a bad feeling of greed with this whole thing....pretty soon goldtops will overtake the world....one on every block...like a stop sign!

I believe this is one of the first series.

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/ele … s-used.htm

It's not mine (266) btw