1 (edited by zkat2 2007-05-10 01:36:30)

Topic: Joe @ HOB in Dallas...1st show

Hi Folks,
My son (12) and I see Joe wherever & whenever he plays within 100 miles of Dallas so we've seen him many times.  Joe is the best and never fails us with his performance and tone and tonight was no exception.  It was cool to see Joe using the new Category 5 100Watt head that my friend Don built for him.  The 3 new songs Joe played were fantastic and I can't wait for the new CD.  Carmine was great as expected and the keyboard player was a nice addition.  Bogie, as always was exceptional.  With all that said let me tell you what I thought of the Cambridge room at the new House Of Blues.  While it is an attractive room and comfortably held the 300 or so people in attendance I really hated the venue.  The stage is only elevated about 15 inches so even though I was only about 15 feet back I never saw more than from Joe's shoulders and up.  I only saw Bogie when he walked off stage.  I'm too old and my son is too young to push our way to the front and, as I said, we've seen Joe many, many times and almost always right up front.  I couldn't see what guitars he played and my son couldn't see anyone in the band at all.  The stage should be elevated so more than the first few people deep can see the show.  I know this was a new crew too but there were at least 20 HOB security people that kept walking through the crowd and I saw them remove at least 4 people for what looked to me like because they took pictures with cell phone cameras.  I know Joe is very camera, taper and fan friendly but this was no pictures allowed, no taping and over-bearing security and few people could see.  We have always loved seeing Joe, especially at The Two Frogs in Ardmore and at the Granada here in Dallas (where, like at Cheers, they know our names) but I won't be going back to the Cambridge room @ the HOB again to see anyone.  We love you Joe, always will, but this venue doesn't do you or your fans justice.  We have tickets to tomorrows show too but if anyone wants them, at face value, let me know.
Sorry to be a little negative here but I'm hoping Joe wants to hear what we really think.  For tonight I give Joe and the band a 10 and the Cambridge room @ Dallas HOB a 2.
Thank you,
ZKat

Re: Joe @ HOB in Dallas...1st show

That's disappointing.
Especially for your son, I'm sure.
We were at a show once and there were some "agressive" security as well.
That's a serious distraction from the show.
You would think that someplace like the House of Blues would have a better stage set up also.
I understand your feelings completely.

sad
Julie in Green Bay

Yeah the HOB in Myrtle Beach have x Secret Service gorillas there too.  It can be very distracting trying to enjoy the show.  Joe is indeed camera friendly, maybe they could let the management know that for tonight.  Too bad you couldn't see well.  I have been at some shows that the stage was really low or flat and you if you were back just a little, you could not see.   

It is great that you support Joe like you do.  Were you at Joefest back in 04?

Music is good for the Soul...

I was at the HOB show in Dallas last night as well.  I agree with you.  I was at the front of the show, but when I left my spot, I was left in the dark.  It was like I was a live CD party.  If you were not in the front, 2 or 3 deep, you could not see a thing.  I liked the sound and look of the room, but the stage was way too low.  It should have been at least 2 ft high.  Joe was incredible and the new songs had a new sound that shows Joe's creative GENIUS.  The HOB Cambridge room was a huge disappointment, and I will not back to see a show in that room unless they make changes.The Granada is absolutely the place that Joe should be playing at.  It caters to him and his fans.  I can only hope that Joe come's back to the area and plays somewhere else.  Definately do not blame Joe, only the HOB.

Clay

Well this was the first show that I have not been able to photograph at! What a bummer. I asked about the photo policy. Even if Joe said it was fine, he would have had to sign papers, it would have to be approved by management, I would have to had a photo pass from Joe and also have had to sign some legal documents. Looks like the HOB wants absolute control over what the public gets to see from their establishment.

You would think that after building a number of their locations that they would have figured out how high the stage should be. I was at the front of the stage last night in front of Joe, but being short would have missed the show if I had been further back.

I don't think that I will attend another HOB venue for a concert regardless of who is there after last night.

The only thing that I did notice that helps to get to the front of the stage when the room is already packed is if you are wearing a LOW cut shirt and appearing to be easy. This particular fan who I have seen at several shows not was practically trying to attach herself to my back to get to Joe. I was real tempted to groove to the music with my elbows if you know what I mean. Finally she left after she discovered she wasn't getting past me and then went and stood by the stage where Joe would be leaving.

Oh well. I am getting ready to get on the road and head back to St. Louis. It is going to be a long and quiet ride without Michael Lynch and his antics to keep me company! smile smile

~Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid

We have seen Joe a ton too, and have driven up to Ardmore and down to Austin (and flown to CA, etc).  So we were thrilled to see him as well.  We fortunately got there early so we were front row, center stage and it was AWESOME.  And though it was a weeknight and 10 seemed late, there was no opening act and he started on time.  I have never seen him be late.  He seems a stickler about that.

He had 3 new songs that were great.  Because we happened to snag the set list while he was playing the last song..it was right there in front of us) :-)   :
Bridge to better days
walk in my shadow
blues deluxe (MY alltime FAVORITE)
mountain time
burning hell
another kind of love (new)
sloe gin (favorite new one)
highwater everywhere (acoustic)
miss you hate you (acoustic)
woke up dreaming
django
just got paid (zz)
encore:
Asking Around for You
One of these days (new)

He totally stuck to the set list..no deviation...also as normal.

I didn't think the keyboard player fit (played piano isntead of b3, etc...just not bluesy enough.  I think Shawn from Dallas who played w/him at the Guitar Show (who normally plays with Jim Suhler i think) was better... but maybe i just need to get used to him.

OK, the venue.  We were in the Cambridge Room of the HOB, which is not the main concert hall...its a room upstairs for about 200 people.  The stage was... ONE FOOT HIGH...seriously.  Good for us cuz we were right there center stage, first row.  He was strumming RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY EYES.  It was very very cool.  I could have held my hand out and capo'ed for him. :-)  So, its very good if you are lucky enough to be in the first few rows.  If you are more than that, forget it, i think.  There are couches and cushy seats around the sides.  The room is about 3 times the size of a normal starbucks...not big.  Bar in the back.  I definitely prefer the Granada.... to this room anyway.  We'll have to see how the other part is.  The whole security thing is also NOT a problem at the Granada.  Definitely, the Granada is STILL my favorite venue in Dallas...even over the brand new Glass Cactus in Grapevine with its multi million $ audio system...because there you get disco before, after, and in between sets..because thats what the clientel wants.  Ugh.

Joe just celebrated his 30th bd, so the keyboard guy surprised him at the end with the happy birthday song, and the crowd sang....i think he liked that. :-)

Michele

Thanks to all for affirming my sanity.  I wasn't the only one with these impressions of the HOB.  For what it's worth I have a friend that saw Joss Stone in the main room last night and he said it was awesome.  Also no pictures but the stage was a few feet high so even the general admission people could see she wasn't wearing her shoes.  Honestly, I couldn't even see that Joe had a guitar in the Cambridge room. 
I agree with Michele that the piano didn't cut it compared to a Hammond...wasn't the right feel.  I saw and spoke with both Jim Suhler and Sean from Monkey Beat at the show last night and they both agreed on the lack of "fan friendliness" in the Cambridge room.  They are on their way to Europe this morning, by the way,  backing George Thorogood.
Since I've had no takers I'll be back at tonights show and will expect the same.  My son doesn't want to go again though so I will take a friend.  I've been fortunate to see Joe very close up many many times so it's not such a big deal for me but it might be for the new people we turn on to Joe.  He's the best and we want to see him continue to grow and prosper.  The Two Frogs is comparable size to the Cambridge room, has ALWAYS sold out for Joe, has great food and drinks and is a total family atmosphere.  People are GLAD to drive the 100 miles from Dallas to Ardmore.   The Granada always packed them in for Joe, is comfortable and holds way more than the Cambridge room. 
I think it's important for us to let Joe know about our experiences at his shows so that he can make the best choices as to where to play.  I agree with another poster here that one would think the HOB would know by now what works and what doesn't.  They blew it on this room.
I look forward to seeing Joe again tonight but, hopefully, for the final time @ the Cambridge room unless they revamp the place.
Support Joe, support the Blues, support live music!!
ZKat

Hey Guys,
       Im so very sorry about the venue.. I didnt like it either.. My crew spent the day building parts of it.  I felt the security was overbearing even to myself and my crew..  And I didnt know they were harassing everybody about pictures.. Again very sorry.. Joe Bonamassa

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in Joe.  This is a big reason why we love you so.  Now I feel a lot better about coming back to see you tonight.
Rest up to rock the house!
ZKat

If your son wants to come... Ill make arrangements so he can be side stage.. and see the show from there..  just come find me or one of my guys with Joe Bonamassa passes and we hook you guys up..
Joe Bonamassa

We'll do that Joe.  Thank you SOOOOO much!!!  You're the BEST!!

New song, "One of These Days", is that a cover from Ten Years After or a new original?

David,
I think it's Pink Floyd.

Joe: Is he cool or what?!

Don

"One of These Days" is a Ten Years After song.  I believe it is the same song that Joe sang last night.  It is off of "A Space In Time".  I like both versions, but have to give the nod to Joe.

cman368 wrote:

"One of These Days" is a Ten Years After song.  I believe it is the same song that Joe sang last night.  It is off of "A Space In Time".  I like both versions, but have to give the nod to Joe.

A Space In Time is indeed a classic album, and if he does "One of These Days" better than TYA then yahooooo....

I could have sworn Pink Floyd did that song.

Don

Bluesrocker:  You are correct that there is a Pink Floyd (basically instrumental) song of that same name, but apparently isn't the song that Joe is covering.

Did I notice you're from Reston?  I hope you've had a chance to see Joe a few times he's played at the Barns at Wolftrap...great shows both times I went.

He'll be not too far from you in 3 weeks in Hagerstown, MD on Sat. 6/2.  Come up and introduce yourself and the Bonamaniacs will buy you an adult beverage of your choice!

Keep on rockin' the blues....

CarljMD
(Frederick Cty, MD)

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues