Topic: Beale Street Festival

Good mornin my only friends!

Checking in from the "Betty Ford" clinic, dont know why they put these white blankets on the walls. I'm on this beat up old lap top on dial up, i'll make it quick or I'll get bumped!

Arrived thurs. in Nashville, got picked up by my sister and brother-in-law. We drove an hour and half  to their small house in the country ( small my ****!, that Cali. equity goes along way in the south ).

Friday we drive to their new country estate outside Memphis. You ever notice how people who say there broke, have more dough than you will ever see! Anyways, nobody is in a rush to do anything in the south, you get there when you get there.

Get to the festival barely in time to see Derek Trucks. I love that band with percussion, they were fantastic. The crowd was good size at all 4 stages by 6:30, we wait for " the killer", Jerry Lee Lewis goes on at 6:45. The man can hardly walk without a little assistance from friends. He pounded the hell out of that Yamaha, "Roll over Beetoven", Great balls of fire", and so on, the crowd screamed in there joy. I think we all were thinking it might be the last time seeing the legend.

Got to make this quick, if your going to gig make sure you go with people who can hang! I will leave it at that. I missed Govt. Mule AAAAND!  the Alman Bros.

Sat. was unbelievable, check this out. KWS I've seen 5 times, but they were off the hook. The crowd was body to body, the humidity as thick as you can imagine. That crowd would not let him off the stage. He finishes his set with a 20 min. guitar shred of "Voo doo chile". Im shaking my entire body to keep up with that guitar. The next thing I know 2 girls about 25 start rubbin and grinding on ole shred. Debbie is about 6 feet in front and has no clue what is happening. My nephew is next to me so he sees it all.  I'm lol so hard my eyes are tearing. The one that was behind me turns me around to show me her shirt. Picture this shirt; black with white lettering "I ( love with a heart as a word ) RICHARD"! It did not say Richard if you know what I'm saying. I'm like thinking OH NO! I point to my wedding ring and my wife in front of me and they left. This whole rocknroll thing is stressful at times (LOL)

The next set is with Walter Trout. Years ago a friend of mine says you got to see him, and he was right. As good as Kenny was Walter was just as amazing. I posted earlier some comments he made regarding Joe. I will never miss him again if he is town.

This is getting way to long. Ended the night with George Thorogood, enough said. What a amazing entertainer, you talking about working the crowd (WOW)!

Sunday was Tad Beniot, Chris Daughtry ( sure I"m spelling it wrong) and the great Elvin Bishop, did not want it to end!

Love to have Joe here next year, never know.

The man with the white coat is coming!

See ya...........Shred

Re: Beale Street Festival

Great recap Dave. I love Richard!  Love that part.  Thanks

Take care everyone. And if I don't meet you no more in this world
Then ill, I'll meet you in the next one and don't be late, don't be late

Gosh, I should have asked to see who might be going to this. We drove over from ATL!!! We got there in time to catch our favorites, North Mississippi All Stars (thankfully we have seen Derek several times the past year).

Then we made it over to catch Jerry Lee Lewis. I tried calling Randy (roadking) during each of the shows but my phone is pretty awful so I think he could only hear "schurrrll" sounds.

We did stay for Govt Mule and ABB. Friday was our big reason for the drive, but Sat. was off course great too. Hopefully you'll get to catch GM and ABB via Muletracks and Instant Live. Both were incredible as always. Except every show for each keeps getting better. Derek is getting better and better, probably from playing with Eric Clapton so much. And Warren is just amazing!

The next day we caught the tail-end of Daddy Mack Blues Band, then David Honeyboy Edwards and then Alvin Youngblood Hart. All three bands were really great in the Blues Tent.

After that it was Kenny Wayne Shepherd (must never miss seeing him), then The Bar-Kays (they were entertaining but if we hadn't been holding our spot we would have checked out Walter Trout)... Then my husband finally got to see Steely Dan. Great show, but would be much better in a sit-down-at-a-table sort of venue.

On Sunday we got there just in time for the rain and Umprhey's McGee (a jam band that is good but with much room to grow), then we cdaught part of Ann Peebles, then the first part of Edwin McCain, then back to the Blues Tent for Backdoor Slam (watch out for these guys, they were great and very young), Tab Benoit (also very very good, had some stuff that was a little on the country side, but really good guitar player), and then Elvin Bishop who was really entertaining!! I knew absolutely nothing about any of these guys but now want to find out more.

Highly recommend this festival. It's fun, not too huge, although Friday night it was really really crowded with all us GM and ABB fans around.

Just helping to spread the word about going to see GOOD bands and GOOD live music as often as possible!!!

Music promotion: http://www.myspace.com/kfdesignpublish
Photo collection: http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/peachyllb/

SHRED....Call for bail..Got you covered....Kellie...Tab Benoit is a constant on the Blues Cruise. He rocks me!! He and Jimmy Thackery have a CD "Whiskey Store"..very good..He's a true Louisiana Boy!! Elvin Bishop is a legend. His family was killed in a home invasion a few years back, and I was glad to see hime a few years ago still getting it on!! Nice to hear he's well. Just saw JLL Sunday PM in Tampa...Rock on old man.....Sorry you missed Walter. Joe's MD fans get to see both in Hagerstown. Time for another field trip??!! And, Mississippi Allstars are on the front of the new Blue's Revue Mag....        Cathy

The Beale Street Festival sounds really cool.  This year's lineup would have been great to see.  Thanks for posting...

Music is good for the Soul...