Re: Classic Rock magazine spawns Blues spin-off

I've just picked up the second edition, which at £7.99 I've been saving up all month for lol, and immeditaley scanned the outside card wrapper for a mention of Joe which I found in the exclusive 12 page BB King interview. Joe describes himself as the "pudgy white kid with a Telecaster" and BB asking him back to his dressing room to chat and how that night changed his life. Joe says he's played with BB "pretty much every year for the past 22 years". I wish I'd seen just one of them as I don't think I'll get a chance in the UK.

There's also a short interview with Sandi Thom where she's asked "Do you have any plans to collaborate with (current partner) [cheeky] Joe Bonamassa in the near future?" Sandi answered that if they do "work together it will be organic, something that just happens that way and isn't forced or anything. Though I definitely don't rule it out."

There are also lots of other articles on the likes of Bonnie Raitt, Tab Benoit, Robert Cray, Hubert Sumlin and the 20 Greatest British Blues Albums. How many have you got in your collection?

The "free" CD looks interesting with tracks from, amongst others, Oli Brown, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Cherry Lee Mewis, Krissy Matthews and The Mentulls.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Still getting used to the forum, apologies if I sent this as a private message before-

Think I'm putting it in the right place now-

I found the first issue a little bit flimsy, Blues Matters mag seems to have more content, but I thought the CD was great; even if I did have a few of the tracks.

Haven't bought the second issue-is the CD worth it?

BansheeUK wrote:

Mods - not sure where's the best place for this thread, so I'll leave placement to your discression.

This may be old news to those not living under a rock or who have spent the week-end sitting enjoying summer and reading the latest edition of Classic Rock from cover to cover.

One June 14th they are releasing a Blues oriented magazine to go with their Prog and AOR themed publications. As well as the customary cover mounted CD (probably UK only) issue 1 features interviews with Buddy Guy, Bonny Raitt, Joe B on the new album and Royal Southern Brotherhood. Looks like the remit is to cover the entire span and spectrum of recorded blues.

Mike

I just purchased this at my local book store.  It's a bit pricey here in the US but so far it's been a great read.  Too bad I got *after* seeing Buddy Guy as I would've tried to get him to sign it after the show.  It's a great photo of him on the cover.

conorb

Wooders wrote:

I've just picked up the second edition, which at £7.99 I've been saving up all month for lol, and immeditaley scanned the outside card wrapper for a mention of Joe which I found in the exclusive 12 page BB King interview. Joe describes himself as the "pudgy white kid with a Telecaster" and BB asking him back to his dressing room to chat and how that night changed his life. Joe says he's played with BB "pretty much every year for the past 22 years". I wish I'd seen just one of them as I don't think I'll get a chance in the UK.

There's also a short interview with Sandi Thom where she's asked "Do you have any plans to collaborate with (current partner) [cheeky] Joe Bonamassa in the near future?" Sandi answered that if they do "work together it will be organic, something that just happens that way and isn't forced or anything. Though I definitely don't rule it out."

There are also lots of other articles on the likes of Bonnie Raitt, Tab Benoit, Robert Cray, Hubert Sumlin and the 20 Greatest British Blues Albums. How many have you got in your collection?

The "free" CD looks interesting with tracks from, amongst others, Oli Brown, Joanne Shaw Taylor, Cherry Lee Mewis, Krissy Matthews and The Mentulls.

Phil

It's a bit annoying when you try a large branch of WHsmiths for this, especially when their shelf of music mags is groaning with the Classic Rock parent magazing, Classic Rock Prog mag, Classic Rock Alternate 80s special, Classic Rock Lynyrd Skynyrd collectors pack and Classic Rock Re-Machined collectors pack; but no Classic Rock Blues (issue 2); not even hiding in among Record Collector or Karrang!!

Come on WHSmiths (and Classic Rock distributors), get your acts together for September 28th for Issue 3, or I'm back to searching the local Morrissons, where I got the first one.

"Grumpy-chops" Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

BansheeUK wrote:
Wooders wrote:

Phil

It's a bit annoying when you try a large branch of WHsmiths for this, especially when their shelf of music mags is groaning with the Classic Rock parent magazing, Classic Rock Prog mag, Classic Rock Alternate 80s special, Classic Rock Lynyrd Skynyrd collectors pack and Classic Rock Re-Machined collectors pack; but no Classic Rock Blues (issue 2); not even hiding in among Record Collector or Karrang!!

Come on WHSmiths (and Classic Rock distributors), get your acts together for September 28th for Issue 3, or I'm back to searching the local Morrissons, where I got the first one.

"Grumpy-chops" Mike

I don't want to annoy you Mike, but i've seen it in my WH Smiths, but i do live down here in the smoke. Maybe it will filter up northwards soon!

GOOD KARMA - http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3zkw … o1_500.jpg
Avatar Credit: D.Hirst,Olympic Union Flag
Adele: RAH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oio8V3e3WU&ob=av2e -
We Are The Champ20ns

Issue 3 out today.

I got a copy at WH Smiths at Gatwick yesterday. With the new Blues Matters just out too there's plenty of Blues reading to be done!

Crackin read again. I enjoyed testing my memory with the Blue Horizon article. Another delve into my vinyl awaits.

What to expect in Issue 4 out in the UK on 22 November :

•Cover star Rory Gallagher on Blues behind the barricades

•The Best of 2012! We look back on the albums and events that helped make it one of the greatest years for Blues

•The Rolling Stones: An exclusive look back at their Blues origins

•Otis Grand: The US blues stalwart celebrates his old school blues heroes while tearing the new guard a new one

•Huey Morgan: the blues lovin' criminal on his new album Say It To My Face and why nothin' else sounds quite like New York blues

•The Nimmo Brothers: The hugely respected Scottish siblings have their say on the state of contemporary blues

•Andre Williams: The bad boy of 50s R&B talks about his amazing career, hard times and why he's ready to start behaving himself. Well, a bit, at least

•Jim Jones Revue: In an exclusive interview they give The Blues the lowdown on new album The Savage Heart and how they’re bringing boogie-woogie piano back to blues     

•Buyer's guide: Bag yourself the best of Texan Strat-beating legend Stevie Ray Vaughan with Charles Shaar Murray's ultimate guide

•Gig listings: five pages of essential nights out for discerning blues junkies

PLUS Free 15-track 'Best of 2012' CD featuring Joe Bonamassa, Ian Siegal & The Mississippi Mudbloods, Bonnie Raitt, Walter Trout, Huey Morgan and the New Yorkers, Big Boy Bloater, Simon McBride, Rival Sons, Hans Theessink & Terry Evans, Stephen Dale Petit, Chuck Leavell, Robert Cray, Ruthie Foster, The Nimmo Brothers and Otis Grand.

Kenny wrote:

Free 15-track 'Best of 2012' CD

I do wish these promo CD's weren't called 'free' i know it's a marketing tool, but some of us do know otherwise...... don't we ??

We Are The Champ20ns

How do you mean? Being involved with a few 'free' cover cds, I can assure you there is no funny business or anything like. I would expect the hard cost to be covered by the price of the mag but that is pennies.

Brack wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Free 15-track 'Best of 2012' CD

I do wish these promo CD's weren't called 'free' i know it's a marketing tool, but some of us do know otherwise...... don't we ??

30 (edited by Kenny 2012-11-26 15:40:31)

Another excellent read. Included is a Joe interview on Rory Gallagher and a full page colour spread confirming all the Joe albums available on vinyl.

Oh and there's confirmation that Joe is in the next issue exclusive cover story and reveals that "you won't be getting another solo album for a while ................".

Guess we will just have to make do with the Beth Hart projects next year smile

I'll wait for the next one then!

We Are The Champ20ns

Classic Rock Presents The Blues Issue 5

The Modern Blues Fan’s Bible
On sale 21 February 2013
Brought to you by the great team behind Classic Rock, Blues Magazine is a mix of old and new; cult and mainstream - and celebrates 75 years of great blues music.

Featured in the fifth issue:

•Joe Bonamassa: The colossus of blues-rock takes on his critics in his most revealing – and funny – interview yet. He also gives us the low-down on his new live album and DVD An Acoustic Evening At The Vienna Opera House, the album he’s wanted to make since Sloe Gin. Plus! Hear an exclusive cut from the new album on our free 15-track cover-mount CD.

He is on the front cover with these descriptions :

Studio Junkie
Electric Warrior
Blues Rock King
Pathological Pie-Fingerer
Guitar Geek
Jut-Jawed Terminator

And inside is a colourful 9 page spread..........

Kenny wrote:

He is on the front cover with these descriptions :

Studio Junkie
Electric Warrior
Blues Rock King
Pathological Pie-Fingerer
Guitar Geek
Jut-Jawed Terminator

And inside is a colourful 9 page spread..........

Just got mine in the mail yesterday. Great interview and photographs. CD has lots of cool songs by different blues artists. Pretty in depth interview about the whole creation of the Acoustic Show last summer. Just remarkable how they only rehearsed for three days together prior to the first show and Joe only sang for 2 1/2 of them. Shows the high level of musicianship for all involved. Joe admitted to feeling pretty anxious that first night, but to us, it seemed more like nervous excitement. What made the Montreux show so great was its rawness and the excitement of it being brand new. Joe, glad our cheers had a hand in alleviating any anxiety you may have had about taking on this project. My only wish was that it could have gone on longer.

Any idea when Issue 5 will be in the stores in the US? 

And will it be more likely in Borders-type establishments?  Other stores likely to carry it anyone can recommend?

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

sally12333 wrote:

Any idea when Issue 5 will be in the stores in the US? 

And will it be more likely in Borders-type establishments?  Other stores likely to carry it anyone can recommend?

Barnes and Noble carry the parent mag. Out here it is usually almost a month before it arrives. I'd call and ask them if they will have it.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381