19 (edited by gary 2012-05-24 13:40:48)

Re: Who does she think she is?

Maybe Joe needs to take a year off,work in the fields, to get some blues "cred"
Maybe she picked these ideas up from some of the blues snobs,who like to put down bluesrock?

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

I don't think it matters now.

Everything has been said and done.

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Black + Gold Hardware, PRS SE Santana Yellow, Ovation Double-Neck Semi-Acoustic, Ovation Celebrity CC44 Honeyburst, Gibson 2008 Les Paul Standard Heritage Cherry Sunburst (#10), Gibson Robot Les Paul Studio 2012 Limited, Gibson 1976 Les Paul Custom Heritage Cherry Sunburst

....I just read thru all that....miss out on things when at work.............commented on pg 22.......

"I think that the mere fact there has been so many responses to this review is a great testimonial to the emotion Joe brings out in people at one of his shows.If we all didn't feel something from Joe, we wouldn't be writing anything.  Joe Bonamassa is probably the most fan-friendly artist there is.  That alone says a lot to the connection he feels with his fans....the worldwide following Joe has is because he is still a down to earth kind of guy.  If he has such a large ego he wouldn't give us the time of day.....Joe has given us the time of day for a lot of years......I have always admired Joe for just being Joe.  Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but the reviewer also has to expect that everyone is not going to agree with her.  Joe fans are some of the most loyal fans you will ever meet.  And we all love Tal,Rick, and Carmine....world-class musicians...they have been on the music scene for a long time and seem like family to all of us.  I am sorry you didn't feel the connection that the rest of us feel very honored to have....."

p.l.j.  smile

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

22 (edited by DarthElvis 2012-05-24 21:00:51)

Nice, 8 pages of comments before someone half heartedly agreed with her. Joe's paid his dues, he's got the chops to be confident (which she reads as arrogant). Dude puts his money where his mouth is every show, and I've never seen him play bad in concert, whether youtube, DVD, or live. I can't say that about anyone else, including SRV , Hendrix, Gilmour, or Rory.

My only criticism (if you can even call it that) about Joe is I miss Goldie. I miss how Joe could strangle a Strat. LP's are great, but I miss his stratty tone at times. But I'll still get anything he puts out, without hesitation. That's also something I can only say about one other artist, and that person won't be putting out anything new (RIP Rory).

Only her opinion.  I am sure that the good majority who attended the show would not agree with her article and his true fans know the real Joe is none of what she described in her criticisms.

I was confused in reading the review at times, in that on one hand she praised him and in the next sentence would cut him down.

pattyluvsjoe wrote:

....I just read thru all that....miss out on things when at work.............commented on pg 22.......

"I think that the mere fact there has been so many responses to this review is a great testimonial to the emotion Joe brings out in people at one of his shows.If we all didn't feel something from Joe, we wouldn't be writing anything.  Joe Bonamassa is probably the most fan-friendly artist there is.  That alone says a lot to the connection he feels with his fans....the worldwide following Joe has is because he is still a down to earth kind of guy.  If he has such a large ego he wouldn't give us the time of day.....Joe has given us the time of day for a lot of years......I have always admired Joe for just being Joe.  Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but the reviewer also has to expect that everyone is not going to agree with her.  Joe fans are some of the most loyal fans you will ever meet.  And we all love Tal,Rick, and Carmine....world-class musicians...they have been on the music scene for a long time and seem like family to all of us.  I am sorry you didn't feel the connection that the rest of us feel very honored to have....."

p.l.j.  smile

You said it straight up Patty.I think some reviewrs feel they have to show the world they know more than anyonelse.Can break things down to uncover what others can find or see.I know she missed the boat age or not.Me ears and eyes tell my heart what is real.Because me heart is filled up with pure joy when Joe does is stuff.A big WTF on the band chemistry thing.Joe loves his mates and "even a blind girl"can see that.Joe and Tal really accentuate their interplay.I love how they react off each other.Tals a blast!Poor young woman,can't see the perverbial forest through the trees.

Your rock candy baby

BAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bronx Aural Applause ON & Keep the Faith, Joe, and all,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I was reading today that the newspaper shut down the comments section after 25 pages of replies.  smile

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

gary wrote:

Maybe she picked these ideas up from some of the blues snobs,who like to put down bluesrock?

AHEM!  I'm a blues snob...that idea wouldn't come from a snob like me.  Whether from the bottoms or the suburbs, if you got it...

MuchReal
FDOL

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

28 (edited by gary 2012-05-26 10:02:02)

bigjeffjones wrote:
gary wrote:

AHEM!  I'm a blues snob...that idea wouldn't come from a snob like me.  Whether from the bottoms or the suburbs, if you got it...

MuchReal
FDOL

Not you BJJ just the stereotypes.And who was in a rock band?LOLAnd if you were a blues "snob" you wouldn't be a big Joe fan because he has a bit too much rock in his blues.You know what I'm sayin.........

Your rock candy baby

29 (edited by DougH 2012-05-26 11:13:05)

Well maybe the band is "comfortable" with Joe and Joe is "comfortable" with the band.
Maybe that's what she's seeing as a "non-interaction" with the band mates.

Let’s face it, Carmine and Rick have been with Joe since 2005 and Tal has been with Joe since early 2011; if Joe wasn't getting along or a dink, the band mates would have split along time ago.
They’ve done an easy 1400 shows together over 7 years.
I think that speaks volumes, just like rusty strings on an old guitar.

I think if I had Joe, Carmine, Rick and Tal in my back yard for burgers and beer it would be a great warm fun time.
I bet if I had the young guy (with the same initials, Justin something or other) I don't think it would be as warm and good time as it would be with Joe and the boys.

P.S. Joe and the boys are welcome for burgers and beer anytime.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

I feel a bit sorry for anyone that can go to a Joe show and not feel any emotion or a connection with the music.
Everybody's entitled to an opinion, but when you're writing a review, perhaps it's worth looking around and realizing that everybody else is feeling something...and that maybe it's just you that's missing it.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

As much as I love JB´s music it sort of turns me off seing him posting something like " XXXX you suck" on facebook... hmm
She basically just expressed her own feeling she got from that show which a review is all about!?

While she was expressing HER opinion, some of what she wrote made it seem that that was what the audience was feeling too.  And that is what I didn't like about the review.  How can she know what is going on in any of the audience's head, Joe's or the band members.  While I wasn't at that show, I have been to one of his concerts and have the dvds.  I do not find any of what Joe does lacking of emotion.  He is there to give us his gift of music and enjoys it with a passion  I just don't understand how she could have written some of what she did.

As far as Joe's reaction, I think I would feel a little hurt and defensive if that were written about me.

It's Me wrote:

While she was expressing HER opinion, some of what she wrote made it seem that that was what the audience was feeling too.  And that is what I didn't like about the review.  How can she know what is going on in any of the audience's head, Joe's or the band members.  While I wasn't at that show, I have been to one of his concerts and have the dvds.  I do not find any of what Joe does lacking of emotion.  He is there to give us his gift of music and enjoys it with a passion  I just don't understand how she could have written some of what she did.

As far as Joe's reaction, I think I would feel a little hurt and defensive if that were written about me.

From what he wrote, I think there may be history.

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

34 (edited by Silhouette89 2012-05-26 18:03:27)

PSmith1946 wrote:
It's Me wrote:

From what he wrote, I think there may be history.

I also had a wonderful experience at a Joe concert and if there is some history behind this  a defensive reaction is totally understandable.However  an artist like Joe expressing it as drastically as this in public just doesn´t vibe with me.

Blowing off some frustration generated steam is human.  Joe's done it a few time over the years.  I think this time was particularly well deserved.  If I'm not mistaken, a similar BS review was published following a "hometown" show last year.  Ridiculous.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

Well, I share the same sentiments, Silhouette. I've been following this story for the past few days and have read most of the posts on the Syracuse New Times site as well as a few posted on the reviewer's own FB page. Much as I'm passionate about Joe's music and understand the urge to defend him against negative attack, I can't agree with the way he himself reacted to what was essentially the uneven opinion of a wet-behind-the-ears reviewer for a paper most of us had never heard about. Okay, so I get it that this is a newspaper in Joe's backyard, that this paper has a long history of negative reviews, and that this reviewer hit below the belt in more ways than one. Joe had every right to feel that he, his family, and his band were insulted. Most of us probably feel that way that too. But Joe, in my opinion, posting things like "XXXX, you S--K"  on FB comes over as being petulant and is not the message you should be sending, especially to your younger fans. You should have taken the high ground and issued a less inflammatory statement. Yesterday, in a courthouse in Oklahoma City, I became a naturalized US citizen. It was an incredibly proud moment for me and my family. But, clicheed as it might sound, one of the things that the presiding judge reminded us new citizens was that with great power comes great responsibility. And Joe, as your star power deservedly rises, so too does your responsibility. Sure, you can be upset and swear all you want in private but, unless you feel obliged to report every negative emotion to your followers (and perhaps this is what is now expected?), there's no need for you to post that stuff on Twitter or FB. Just like there's no need for any of us to lambaste a young woman doing her job with personal insults (the worst of which are not posted on this site, I might add), no matter how poor of a job we think she did. As one of her defenders wrote, she's someone's daughter too. Joe, you're a humble man with a well-earned reputation for being gracious and kind to your fans. In fact, much as I enjoy your music, that's probably what I am most proud of about you. I was thrilled to meet you in OKC recently and you signed my son's guitar AND my pics AND not one but two copies of Classic Rock magazine (one of which was a memento for a friend seeing you live for the first time). You're only human, I know, and we humans aren't perfect, but I have to say that I was a bit disappointed in the way first you and then a number of us fans responded to the review. Sorry.