55 (edited by The RiverCat^-^ 2012-05-27 12:21:17)

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

gary wrote:

If over a 2 year period Joe writes 8 to 10 new songs,Does it really matter if they are wrapped up in one or 2 cds?An all original cd would have its merrits.Given Joe's past history,I would feel short changed if he abandoned covers just for  the sake of pure new material.Look at the Don't Explain cd.I guess that would never have happened if it all important to have new material.When would Joe have the time to write with Beth,himself,BCC.It is amazing given his scedule that he can even come up with 4-5 new songs of the highest quality given what is on his plate.I just don't see what the big deal is.I for one like what he has been doing as long as he can keep it up.If he needs to slow down the output that's ok too.Look,his cds are at the tops of the charts as in current configuration of covers and oiginals,so give it a rest.He eems to be doing great with how he's writing and recording so I say if it aint broke ,don't fix it.

No one is asking him to abandon covers.  The covers give him the time to do the other projects that you stated.  It was nice that Beth and Joe did a cover album, but I would hope it wouldn't be a continuous output of just cover material.

Part of the excitement of BCC was that it was new material and not just cover songs.  Most bands write new material.  Seeing most people on this forum come from Rock more than Blues, I would think you would be use to seeing an album containing more new songs than covers? 

It's not a big deal and you can carry on the same way. It was merely something that was pointed out. 

But the number of albums don't compare to a band that writes an album of mostly original songs. That takes a more difficult thought process.  And you are starting from a blank slate. As opposed to have something started for you and it is probably already a good song.

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:
gary wrote:

If over a 2 year period Joe writes 8 to 10 new songs,Does it really matter if they are wrapped up in one or 2 cds?An all original cd would have its merrits.Given Joe's past history,I would feel short changed if he abandoned covers just for  the sake of pure new material.Look at the Don't Explain cd.I guess that would never have happened if it all important to have new material.When would Joe have the time to write with Beth,himself,BCC.It is amazing given his scedule that he can even come up with 4-5 new songs of the highest quality given what is on his plate.I just don't see what the big deal is.I for one like what he has been doing as long as he can keep it up.If he needs to slow down the output that's ok too.Look,his cds are at the tops of the charts as in current configuration of covers and oiginals,so give it a rest.He eems to be doing great with how he's writing and recording so I say if it aint broke ,don't fix it.

No one is asking him to abandon covers.  The covers give him the time to do the other projects that you stated.  It was nice that Beth and Joe did a cover album, but I would hope it wouldn't be a continuous output of just cover material.

Part of the excitement of BCC was that it was new material and not just cover songs.  Most bands write new material.  Seeing most people on this forum come from Rock more than Blues, I would think you would be use to seeing an album containing more new songs than covers? 

It's not a big deal and you can carry on the same way. It was merely something that was pointed out. 

But the number of albums don't compare to a band that writes an album of mostly original songs. That takes a more difficult thought process.  And you are starting from a blank slate. As opposed to have something started for you and it is probably already a good song.

M

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:
gary wrote:

If over a 2 year period Joe writes 8 to 10 new songs,Does it really matter if they are wrapped up in one or 2 cds?An all original cd would have its merrits.Given Joe's past history,I would feel short changed if he abandoned covers just for  the sake of pure new material.Look at the Don't Explain cd.I guess that would never have happened if it all important to have new material.When would Joe have the time to write with Beth,himself,BCC.It is amazing given his scedule that he can even come up with 4-5 new songs of the highest quality given what is on his plate.I just don't see what the big deal is.I for one like what he has been doing as long as he can keep it up.If he needs to slow down the output that's ok too.Look,his cds are at the tops of the charts as in current configuration of covers and oiginals,so give it a rest.He eems to be doing great with how he's writing and recording so I say if it aint broke ,don't fix it.

No one is asking him to abandon covers.  The covers give him the time to do the other projects that you stated.  It was nice that Beth and Joe did a cover album, but I would hope it wouldn't be a continuous output of just cover material.

Part of the excitement of BCC was that it was new material and not just cover songs.  Most bands write new material.  Seeing most people on this forum come from Rock more than Blues, I would think you would be use to seeing an album containing more new songs than covers? 

It's not a big deal and you can carry on the same way. It was merely something that was pointed out. 

But the number of albums don't compare to a band that writes an album of mostly original songs. That takes a more difficult thought process.  And you are starting from a blank slate. As opposed to have something started for you and it is probably already a good song.

I hear you,and agree its no arguement that it takes more to write than to cover.Seeing what Joe does with covers doesn't leaveme feeling shortchanged.I think covers work well with blues versus covering rock songs.Rock song covers usally sound like copies.Joe Who's Been Talking ,now hearing that cover,man that gets me good.What a great cover.New Day Yesterday,Reconsider Baby,Sloe Gin,ect.How can you argue.Are all the covers home runs ?No.Don't get me wrong.I would rather hear mor originals too.But in the end Joes doing it allright by my standards.Given a choice I will take a new cd a year as it is than to wait 2-3 years for 1 cd of all originals.I feel the reverse would be true of BCC.I think covers should be no more than 1 song on a cd.Reason again that most rock songs covered usually don't stray far enough from the original.I think the consensous is that every one loves Joes originals,it more of a question on how many and how often.I final the main point is that I would not  want Joe to feel he is shortchanging us because of the formula he is using,because I don't feel shortchanged in any way.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Every time this topic surfaces I think about Eric Clapton being dogged his entire career because he didn't write more songs, no matter how many times he said his thing was playing the guitar.

Joe has said all along he loves playing guitar.  He writes songs because and when he has to.  He didn't even want to sing initially.  So he's come a long way and has developed into an amazing singer and songwriter, which is great for us, more hard work for him!

Sandy

I know a place ....

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

I like the mix myself, some wee gems come out such as Bernie Marsdens on Daylight and Jessie Mae Robinsons Black Night, Joe also keeps a few pretty much true to the originals......At some point the lad is gonna have to stop, take a rest, have a family and at that time where he can put one album out every two years then possibly we'll get an all original or just one or two covers?? No complaints here.

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

I would like to restrict any further comments in this thread.  If you are a successful recording artist, studio or road musician or singer/songwriter, then please contribute. 

The rest of you pontificators & deep thinkers ... Enough repetition.

plumbtired
bjjfdol

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

I'm with bigjeff.

61 (edited by The RiverCat^-^ 2012-05-29 11:44:49)

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

bigjeffjones wrote:

I would like to restrict any further comments in this thread.  If you are a successful recording artist, studio or road musician or singer/songwriter, then please contribute. 

The rest of you pontificators & deep thinkers ... Enough repetition.

plumbtired
bjjfdol

LMAO at this.  Thank you for letting us know what the forum rules are?  I never saw this one.

So does this apply to all music related posts on the forum?  This forum only?  All musician's forums?  Where does Jeff's law of the musician land start and end?

I guess I can still contribute since I play piano.   Maybe I don't meet your criteria because you said successful. Do you meet your own criteria of successful?   

His rule applies to everyone who didn't meet his above criteria.  So the one's who loves Joe's covers, it applies to you too.

And really, again there weren't any really bad posts to get so up in arms!  People contributing well-written posts to have a discussion make you react like this? 

Maybe my next post will be The Constitution, oh or can't I read that since I am not in political office?

This really takes the cake of any post I have ever seen on this forum.
Guess what, I'll take this cake, eat it all up, and have some ice cream.

Post away whoever wants to post. With a cherry on top.

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:
bigjeffjones wrote:

I would like to restrict any further comments in this thread.  If you are a successful recording artist, studio or road musician or singer/songwriter, then please contribute. 

The rest of you pontificators & deep thinkers ... Enough repetition.

plumbtired
bjjfdol

LMAO at this.  Thank you for letting us know what the forum rules are?  I never saw this one.

So does this apply to all music related posts on the forum?  This forum only?  All musician's forums?
Where does Jeff's law of the musician land start and end?

I guess I can still contribute since I play piano, but I wouldn't have the audacity to tell someone not to contribute like you do.  Maybe I don't meet your criteria because you said successful.
Do you meet your own criteria of successful?

His rule applies to everyone who didn't meet his above criteria.  So the one's who loves Joe's covers, it applies to you too.

And really, again there weren't any really bad posts to get so up in arms!  Well-written posts to have a discussion make you react like this? 

This really takes the cake of any post I have ever seen on this forum.
Guess what, I'll take this cake, eat it all up, and have some ice cream.

Post away whoever wants to post. With a cherry on top.

No, tomorrow or the next day you'll find something else to over-react about.  This will be forgotten. 

I say nothing about forum rules; this one or any other.  I wrote what I'd like to do with this thread.  THIS THREAD...

You do have the audacity.  You just took me to task for my contribution.  Then you ask me if all this discussion (well written posts) make me react like I did.  Obviously it did.  Nothing new there from me.  Often I've stated that one should stand in the others shoes before criticizing.  It was sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek and funny...or meant to be.  Read it again.

MuchLove to  you smile
bigjeff

and cmon, pontificators?  that's a great word...gimme that, please. tongue

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Don't worry BJJ, I knew it was tongue in cheek. For me, this thread is beating a dead horse. Same ole, same ole, from the same people. I, too, am redundant, when it comes to this topic. Cat, GH says he has written lots of new tunes for BCC. He has the time. You can rejoice in that. Until, take a "chill pill", because nobody feels like fighting, at least not about this wink   Cathy

64 (edited by The RiverCat^-^ 2012-05-29 12:54:11)

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

cathysiler wrote:

Don't worry BJJ, I knew it was tongue in cheek. For me, this thread is beating a dead horse. Same ole, same ole, from the same people. I, too, am redundant, when it comes to this topic. Cat, GH says he has written lots of new tunes for BCC. He has the time. You can rejoice in that. Until, take a "chill pill", because nobody feels like fighting, at least not about this wink   Cathy

Get it right Cathy

Jeff is the one who put something inflammatory so you take him to task, not me.  Don't try to put it on me when I just replied to what he said.  He can take your "chill pill".  And nothing was wrong with this thread until Jeff laid down his so called law.  This thread was not a problem.

Glad you knew it was tongue-in-cheek, because the way it was stated and his prior post it didn't look like it or nor did he say it as such.  I guess you can take all my posts as tongue-in-cheek also wink

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

65 (edited by The RiverCat^-^ 2012-05-29 12:54:51)

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

bigjeffjones wrote:
The RiverCat^-^ wrote:
bigjeffjones wrote:

I would like to restrict any further comments in this thread.  If you are a successful recording artist, studio or road musician or singer/songwriter, then please contribute. 

The rest of you pontificators & deep thinkers ... Enough repetition.

plumbtired
bjjfdol

LMAO at this.  Thank you for letting us know what the forum rules are?  I never saw this one.

So does this apply to all music related posts on the forum?  This forum only?  All musician's forums?
Where does Jeff's law of the musician land start and end?

I guess I can still contribute since I play piano, but I wouldn't have the audacity to tell someone not to contribute like you do.  Maybe I don't meet your criteria because you said successful.
Do you meet your own criteria of successful?

His rule applies to everyone who didn't meet his above criteria.  So the one's who loves Joe's covers, it applies to you too.

And really, again there weren't any really bad posts to get so up in arms!  Well-written posts to have a discussion make you react like this? 

This really takes the cake of any post I have ever seen on this forum.
Guess what, I'll take this cake, eat it all up, and have some ice cream.

Post away whoever wants to post. With a cherry on top.

No, tomorrow or the next day you'll find something else to over-react about.  This will be forgotten. 

I say nothing about forum rules; this one or any other.  I wrote what I'd like to do with this thread.  THIS THREAD...

You do have the audacity.  You just took me to task for my contribution.  Then you ask me if all this discussion (well written posts) make me react like I did.  Obviously it did.  Nothing new there from me.  Often I've stated that one should stand in the others shoes before criticizing.  It was sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek and funny...or meant to be.  Read it again.

MuchLove to  you smile
bigjeff

and cmon, pontificators?  that's a great word...gimme that, please. tongue

Of course, because your contribution was to tell others NOT to contribute.  But I didn't say you couldn't say it. But get ready for some of your own medicine.

And you can't keep your stories straight, because you said it's just this thread. Then you say you often state "One should stand in other shoes before criticizing". So you really want that criteria in other threads.

You didn't mean it tongue-in cheek, you really meant it, period.  That is not like you to not be so honest.

I love comedy and your post wasn't meant to be funny, it was meant to say who Jeff wanted to contribute. 

Oh am I over-reacting? Is that a funny tongue-in-cheek from Jeff too? 

No, I am just calling a spade a spade.

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

"LMAO at this.  Thank you for letting us know what the forum rules are?  I never saw this one."  Not funny and I can't keep my stories straight?


'And you can't keep your stories straight, because you said it's just this thread. Then you say you often state "One should stand in other shoes before criticizing". So you really want that criteria in other threads.
'
  Actually I want that in life and have said that before as well.  This forum is not "LIFE".  There was no "law" stated.  I'm kinda flattered that I carry that much impact, except I don't want to fight...well maybe with Duncan wink but not really him either.

Straight up?  I don't believe anybody ( no strike that.  I'm sure there are exceptions) out in the civilian world is qualified to give advice to Joe, who is making it big and on his own terms.  When the discussions turn from opinions to expectations, I grow weary of it.  And I say so.

And you attack me...

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Joe, just do what you like!
'till now that worked just fine for me. I bought all your cd's and like them all.
If there's a song I don't like that much, I simply skip that song and listen to the next.
No big deal to me if it's a cover or not...

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

bigjeffjones wrote:

Enough repetition.

Isn't that what this whole thread is about??!

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

bigjeffjones wrote:

"LMAO at this.  Thank you for letting us know what the forum rules are?  I never saw this one."  Not funny and I can't keep my stories straight?


'And you can't keep your stories straight, because you said it's just this thread. Then you say you often state "One should stand in other shoes before criticizing". So you really want that criteria in other threads.
'
  Actually I want that in life and have said that before as well.  This forum is not "LIFE".  There was no "law" stated.  I'm kinda flattered that I carry that much impact, except I don't want to fight...well maybe with Duncan wink but not really him either.

Straight up?  I don't believe anybody ( no strike that.  I'm sure there are exceptions) out in the civilian world is qualified to give advice to Joe, who is making it big and on his own terms.  When the discussions turn from opinions to expectations, I grow weary of it.  And I say so.

And you attack me...

No. 1  I am not attacking you.  I can only address my points to "you" and counter what "you" said as "you" are the person who the conversation is with.  Did I say you attacked me with the "over-reacting" comment?  No, I don't cry foul over something I knew wasn't meant to be an attack.

I am not a fighter, I just want to get at the truth of what you are saying.  And you just got down to brass tax with your "Straight Up".  It wasn't really meant as a joke. This is what you think.

Thank you for your straight up version as that gives more clarification as that is giving your opinion, as opposed to just telling certain people not to post.

This is an artist's forum where fans sign up and all topics are open to discussion without parameters of occupation.  You and I see things differently as free speech.  Praise and criticism being two sides of the same coin. And anything in between.

Onward and forward with topic of the original poster.

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Lynnl wrote:
bigjeffjones wrote:

Enough repetition.

Isn't that what this whole thread is about??!

Bump, because my post took away from this

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Make nice, kids. wink

I got into the exact same situation as our Funky D in another forum a while back, when I ventured the opinion that the 'discussion' was going in circles and was simply re-hashing stuff - only on that forum people are not as civilized as here and I got verbally spanked by a bunch of people who thought that I was trying to lay down the law for others...like Funky D, I was merely expressing my own opinion, and then decided to take no further part in proceedings.

I don't think that I've even responded in this topic before, simply because I thought the title was ridiculous. I am happy to let Joe (et al) decide what he puts on his cds. wink

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

bigjeffjones wrote:

I don't want to fight...well maybe with Duncan wink but not really him either.

When the discussions turn from opinions to expectations, I grow weary of it.

Jeff, if you want a fight with me, then lets take it off forum. This is not a place for personal attacks. You'll note this is the first time I've responded to you on this thread and it will be the last time I do so. This is a place for people to discuss Joe and his music, and if you don't agree with the argument, then try replying in an articulate way to the areas of disagreement. Everyone who has posted on this thread has repeatedly stated their admiration for Joe and his music. We share opinions, but our admiration of Joe is evident.

Also if you've got a problem with people stating their expectations, then I suggest you turn your attention to some of the comments on the London ticket threads instead. Thank you

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk