Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Bill S wrote:

Without joe performing or recording covers, we'd be without these gems of Joe's, off the top of my head and in no particular order:
Midnight Blues
Sloe Gin
Reconsider Baby
Blues DeLuxe
You Upset Me
One of These Days
Stop
Just Got Paid
So Many Roads
High Water Everywhere
Had to Cry Today
Wild About You Baby
Etc
Etc

Personally, I'm not ready to give up so many great covers yet to come!

Here here!!!!!So rigjt you are you never know when a Joe cover becomes a favorite song!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

For myself the majority of covers that Joe does are new songs. I can't think of many JB covers that I'd heard before he did them.
So keep the covers coming I say and introduce the fans to some of the older blues artists.

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Whoa! Yes the list Bill has done are all great songs that are part of Joe's catalogue. Often these are songs that Joe has dug out of his own collection, put on his own spin while still treating them with the reverence they deserve. However I don't think anyone is saying Joe should not have recorded these songs. Rather they are saying going forward that they think he should consider doing less covers. There are signs that the well is drying up a little (check how many of these artists Joe has already covered?).

Joe’s written some incredible songs, I’ll spare you a list, but these include songs on his new album. Yet I feel that wider acknowledgment of this talent being hampered the demands he puts on himself to produce an album each year.
Fans could really do Joe a favour in stopping the constant pressure for new material and let him take his time to make his next album, and if it takes two years, so be it. The potential in his current song writing is incredible, and a keenly awaited fully self-composed album would really break down barriers.  NPB_EST.1979’s spot on when he says that the Grammy people prefer originals and it’s the same for professional music critics. Once Joe is perceived by industry figures as an innovator rather than a revivalist he will find that critical acclaim that he craves. Don’t demand more covers from Joe, it’s originals that will see him flourish.

As for fans being introduced to the blues, how many great songs interpreted by Joe do they need before they start to delve into the great music previous recorded within the genre?

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Greenose wrote:

Whoa! Yes the list Bill has done are all great songs that are part of Joe's catalogue. Often these are songs that Joe has dug out of his own collection, put on his own spin while still treating them with the reverence they deserve. However I don't think anyone is saying Joe should not have recorded these songs. Rather they are saying going forward that they think he should consider doing less covers. There are signs that the well is drying up a little (check how many of these artists Joe has already covered?).

Joe’s written some incredible songs, I’ll spare you a list, but these include songs on his new album. Yet I feel that wider acknowledgment of this talent being hampered the demands he puts on himself to produce an album each year.
Fans could really do Joe a favour in stopping the constant pressure for new material and let him take his time to make his next album, and if it takes two years, so be it. The potential in his current song writing is incredible, and a keenly awaited fully self-composed album would really break down barriers.  NPB_EST.1979’s spot on when he says that the Grammy people prefer originals and it’s the same for professional music critics. Once Joe is perceived by industry figures as an innovator rather than a revivalist he will find that critical acclaim that he craves. Don’t demand more covers from Joe, it’s originals that will see him flourish.

As for fans being introduced to the blues, how many great songs interpreted by Joe do they need before they start to delve into the great music previous recorded within the genre?

All great points, but I'm not sure I agree about fans putting constant pressure on Joe to release new material.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I spend a fair amount of time on this forum and I don't remember anyone ever saying "Hey Joe, hurry up and release another album".
In fact, my perception is that perhaps Joe puts pressure on himself so he'll have new material for his new tours.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

41 (edited by PSmith1946 2012-05-26 15:36:00)

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

I am sure he does what he wants to do. He has said recently in interviews that he enjoys covering artists that have thrilled him in his past as well as his own songs. Listen to his interview with Paul Jones on the BBC radio 2 site. I think he answers everything that needs to be said on this topic. I love his own stuff, I love most of his covers of which my all time favourites are 'Just Got Paid' and the great 'Midnight Blues'. Joe do what you want to do when you want. I'm sure the majority will still follow and love your performances.
Found the link, http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hpwwp#synopsis

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

To me, Joe plays two genres (if you wish) of covers:

In those to which he plays homage to his heroes, he doesn't change too much:

Gary Moore's "Midnight Blues" and Rory Gallagher's "Cradle Rock" are good examples.

On others, Like Led Zepplin's "Tea For One" and the Jeff Beck/Rod Stewart classic "Blues Deluxe" his interpretation and improvisation just blows the doors off the originals (IMHO of course). Black Night, Sloe Gin - this list goes on.

To listen to "Walk in my Shadows" I prefer any of Joe's versions over what Free had recorded. But then again that's just me.

Of  course, Joe has also penned some moving classics over the years. Django, Mountain Time & Asking Around are some of my personal faves.

I like it BOTH ways! smile

Major Tom to ground control...

43 (edited by dknight16 2012-05-26 20:35:43)

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Covers are a vital tradition of the blues.  Covers are an opportunity for artists to pay homage to artists they admire.  Covers can breath new life into great song that shouldn't just fade into the sunset.  Joe does some of the best covers of any artist.  They are part of his artistry and style.  I love it and always eagerly anticipate what he is going to reinvent next.

I also love that Joe is so prolific in the studio.  13 albums in 12 years and not a dud in the bunch.  You may not love the style of every CD, but the quality is always there and no performance is ever just phoned in.  As long as Joe has the creative juices and fire, why not capture it for the fans?  So while I devour DTTD, I have an eye toward #14.

Oh, and I'll take a live recording from every tour as well (CD or DVD)!

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

dknight16 wrote:

Covers are a vital tradition of the blues.  Covers are an opportunity for artists to pay homage to artists they admire.  Covera can breath new life into great song that shouldn't just fade into the sunset.  Joe does some of the best covers of any artist.  They are part of his artistry and style.  I love it and always eagerly anticipate what he is going to reinvent next.

I also love that Joe is so prolific in the studio.  13 albums in 12 years and not a dud in the bunch.  You may not love the style of every CD, but the quality is always there and no performance is ever just phoned in.  As long as Joe has the creative juices and fire, why not capture it for the fans?  So while I devour DTTD, I have an eye toward #14.

Oh, and I'll take a live recording from every tour as well (CD or DVD)!

Live is and always will be best. No question...

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Bill S wrote:

In fact, my perception is that perhaps Joe puts pressure on himself so he'll have new material for his new tours.

Perhaps, but he seems to play a maximum of four songs from each new album, so he could always play another four songs instead! He's also got over 150 recorded songs to choose from aswell. There's regularly a clamour of demands for recordings when mention of a studio visit or new song is mentioned on the forum.

I could also write that I want Joe to record and release as many albums as possible, but I tend to think about things a little deeper than that... I don't go with this vital tradition of the blues stuff at all by the way, we're not talking a traditional blues artist here. The covers clearly benefit Joe as they mean he is able to release an album after writing four or five of his own songs. I believe he can do better and I'm not convinced in the long term that its the right approach in the long term.... anyway we'll move on.

Thanks for the reminder about the Paul Jones show, Mr Smith, I'll check it out! smile

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Hopefully Joe will realize how much deeper you are than the rest of us and will dedicate his flagging career to fulfill your vision for him.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

47 (edited by Jane H. 2012-05-26 21:59:02)

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

well i agree with what many said how Joe introduced me to most of the blues songs he has covered anyway.
and i do love them all. i don't see the orginal poster as complaining so much as just what would be even better in their opinion

thinking about Burning Hell right now though, and all the others i didn't know about before smile

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

dknight16 wrote:

Hopefully Joe will realize how much deeper you are than the rest of us and will dedicate his flagging career to fulfill your vision for him.

"My vision" for Joe is no more than the standard expectation level for any creative artist, regardless of genre in the current age. Good luck in your wait for #14.

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Greenose wrote:
Bill S wrote:

In fact, my perception is that perhaps Joe puts pressure on himself so he'll have new material for his new tours.

Perhaps, but he seems to play a maximum of four songs from each new album, so he could always play another four songs instead! He's also got over 150 recorded songs to choose from aswell. There's regularly a clamour of demands for recordings when mention of a studio visit or new song is mentioned on the forum.

I could also write that I want Joe to record and release as many albums as possible, but I tend to think about things a little deeper than that... I don't go with this vital tradition of the blues stuff at all by the way, we're not talking a traditional blues artist here. The covers clearly benefit Joe as they mean he is able to release an album after writing four or five of his own songs. I believe he can do better and I'm not convinced in the long term that its the right approach in the long term.... anyway we'll move on.

Thanks for the reminder about the Paul Jones show, Mr Smith, I'll check it out! smile

Be quick, only one more day left I think.

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Greenose wrote:
dknight16 wrote:

Hopefully Joe will realize how much deeper you are than the rest of us and will dedicate his flagging career to fulfill your vision for him.

"My vision" for Joe is no more than the standard expectation level for any creative artist, regardless of genre in the current age. Good luck in your wait for #14.

In my opinion, and I feel somewhat ambivalent in my sincerity perhaps, but nevertheless, I feel "Your vision" is archaic in the 21st century new whirled music "in dusty" [sic], and honestly makes you appear, to me if only, as an anachronism to the whirled blues scene.  A lot of "original" blues material out there is nothing more than kiddy cereal sugar puffy stuff!  No "feeling", just rote incantations and your (to me) ignomius  (not glorious, again, to me) "creative artist expectations level" (perhaps) boringly met.  Is it imperative to impress those who are paid to be grudgingly (or far from it) impressed?!  That is a barometric determinant of valid viability and liability of abilities for the reward of awards???!!! Seems to be an expectation that refuses to die, so I guess it is yes twice.  I think there is a new benchmark.  History is the best reward.  It writes itself and critiques itself.  Expectations can be so contrived.  Some things have a natural flow.  I await 14+++.  If that is "pressure", good!  But it is not. And everyone knows it! At least those who have been waiting around for "whatever" comes next for half his career do.

I honestly wonder if Joe Bonamassa doing a complete self-penned project may be of demo only quality, due to lack of inspiration from free-form salutes and Joe' s uncanny ability to add "just enough" stylistic twists to a cover to make it a "gem".  A cover that makes me go wow gets my award as a gem, whether covering Chopin or B.B. King or Led Zeppelin or Irving Berlin or John Lee Hooker or.......Joe Bonamassa!!!!

Joe can do better?!  You better believe it.  Every step he takes forward proves it.  You can wait for a better better, but my bet rides with "whatever" is next will be even better.

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Rocket wrote:
Greenose wrote:
dknight16 wrote:

Hopefully Joe will realize how much deeper you are than the rest of us and will dedicate his flagging career to fulfill your vision for him.

"My vision" for Joe is no more than the standard expectation level for any creative artist, regardless of genre in the current age. Good luck in your wait for #14.

In my opinion, and I feel somewhat ambivalent in my sincerity perhaps, but nevertheless, I feel "Your vision" is archaic in the 21st century new whirled music "in dusty" [sic], and honestly makes you appear, to me if only, as an anachronism to the whirled blues scene.  A lot of "original" blues material out there is nothing more than kiddy cereal sugar puffy stuff!  No "feeling", just rote incantations and your (to me) ignomius  (not glorious, again, to me) "creative artist expectations level" (perhaps) boringly met.  Is it imperative to impress those who are paid to be grudgingly (or far from it) impressed?!  That is a barometric determinant of valid viability and liability of abilities for the reward of awards???!!! Seems to be an expectation that refuses to die, so I guess it is yes twice.  I think there is a new benchmark.  History is the best reward.  It writes itself and critiques itself.  Expectations can be so contrived.  Some things have a natural flow.  I await 14+++.  If that is "pressure", good!  But it is not. And everyone knows it! At least those who have been waiting around for "whatever" comes next for half his career do.

I honestly wonder if Joe Bonamassa doing a complete self-penned project may be of demo only quality, due to lack of inspiration from free-form salutes and Joe' s uncanny ability to add "just enough" stylistic twists to a cover to make it a "gem".  A cover that makes me go wow gets my award as a gem, whether covering Chopin or B.B. King or Led Zeppelin or Irving Berlin or John Lee Hooker or.......Joe Bonamassa!!!!

Joe can do better?!  You better believe it.  Every step he takes forward proves it.  You can wait for a better better, but my bet rides with "whatever" is next will be even better.

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

His vision is anything but "archaic".  To really believe that, you wouldn't want people to try to write new songs. Just have them keep covering the same songs over and over again.  What came first, a "cover" or a "new" song?

There's a number of great new blues songs out there. And songwriting is what helps make an artist creative, not detract from that.  It gives them their own voice, to speak what they want to say.
That could never "hurt" the Blues.

Joe has done a great deal with his covers.  He does great interpretations and educates people as well to the artist's and music he is covering. 

But there is nothing wrong with writing new material and putting out an album of mostly new material.  I enjoy SILT tremendously, one reason is because they were new songs I never heard and they were fantastic.  The number of albums don't matter to me as much as the quality and material of the album. One thing that sets bands apart for me is the original songs they come up with.  That is a good way for me to see their own voice.

Joe has written a number of truly inspirational and wonderful songs.  I hope to see more of them on future albums smile

"Holy Toledo"  -  Bill King   "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis  "The Autumn Wind" - Steve Sabol

52 (edited by Greenose 2012-05-27 08:53:19)

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

The RiverCat^-^ wrote:
Rocket wrote:
Greenose wrote:

"My vision" for Joe is no more than the standard expectation level for any creative artist, regardless of genre in the current age. Good luck in your wait for #14.

In my opinion, and I feel somewhat ambivalent in my sincerity perhaps, but nevertheless, I feel "Your vision" is archaic in the 21st century new whirled music "in dusty" [sic], and honestly makes you appear, to me if only, as an anachronism to the whirled blues scene.  A lot of "original" blues material out there is nothing more than kiddy cereal sugar puffy stuff!  No "feeling", just rote incantations and your (to me) ignomius  (not glorious, again, to me) "creative artist expectations level" (perhaps) boringly met.  Is it imperative to impress those who are paid to be grudgingly (or far from it) impressed?!  That is a barometric determinant of valid viability and liability of abilities for the reward of awards???!!! Seems to be an expectation that refuses to die, so I guess it is yes twice.  I think there is a new benchmark.  History is the best reward.  It writes itself and critiques itself.  Expectations can be so contrived.  Some things have a natural flow.  I await 14+++.  If that is "pressure", good!  But it is not. And everyone knows it! At least those who have been waiting around for "whatever" comes next for half his career do.

I honestly wonder if Joe Bonamassa doing a complete self-penned project may be of demo only quality, due to lack of inspiration from free-form salutes and Joe' s uncanny ability to add "just enough" stylistic twists to a cover to make it a "gem".  A cover that makes me go wow gets my award as a gem, whether covering Chopin or B.B. King or Led Zeppelin or Irving Berlin or John Lee Hooker or.......Joe Bonamassa!!!!

Joe can do better?!  You better believe it.  Every step he takes forward proves it.  You can wait for a better better, but my bet rides with "whatever" is next will be even better.

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

His vision is anything but "archaic".  To really believe that, you wouldn't want people to try to write new songs. Just have them keep covering the same songs over and over again.  What came first, a "cover" or a "new" song?

There's a number of great new blues songs out there. And songwriting is what helps make an artist creative, not detract from that.  It gives them their own voice, to speak what they want to say.
That could never "hurt" the Blues.

Joe has done a great deal with his covers.  He does great interpretations and educates people as well to the artist's and music he is covering. 

But there is nothing wrong with writing new material and putting out an album of mostly new material.  I enjoy SILT tremendously, one reason is because they were new songs I never heard and they were fantastic.  The number of albums don't matter to me as much as the quality and material of the album. One thing that sets bands apart for me is the original songs they come up with.  That is a good way for me to see their own voice.

Joe has written a number of truly inspirational and wonderful songs.  I hope to see more of them on future albums smile

Thanks Rivercat, that's exactly what I mean. I'm not suggesting that Joe changes his song writing approach or looks to tailor music towards certain people. Just to continue writing the great songs he does and allowing them a greater prominence on his future releases. Of course Joe's roots, influences and inspiration will always come through in his material.  Rocket, I could elaborate on how I feel your post insults Joe, his peers and myself, but I'll save myself the time.

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Greenose wrote:

  Rocket, I could elaborate on how I feel your post insults Joe, his peers and myself, but I'll save myself the time.

Thank God.

"...the standard expectation level for any creative artist," roll   My standards want to Kung Fu your standards lol

Jose is one of a kind.  For him:

MuchLove
BJJ FDOL

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

If over a 2 year period Joe writes 8 to 10 new songs,Does it really matter if they are wrapped up in one or 2 cds?An all original cd would have its merrits.Given Joe's past history,I would feel short changed if he abandoned covers just for  the sake of pure new material.Look at the Don't Explain cd.I guess that would never have happened if it all important to have new material.When would Joe have the time to write with Beth,himself,BCC.It is amazing given his scedule that he can even come up with 4-5 new songs of the highest quality given what is on his plate.I just don't see what the big deal is.I for one like what he has been doing as long as he can keep it up.If he needs to slow down the output that's ok too.Look,his cds are at the tops of the charts as in current configuration of covers and oiginals,so give it a rest.He eems to be doing great with how he's writing and recording so I say if it aint broke ,don't fix it.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky