Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Jane H. wrote:

to keep that faction's noise down? HRUMPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

MORE ROCK ORIGINALS JOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT ONLY IF THAT IS YOUR WISH!
MY WISHES ARE FOR YOU TO DO AS YOU WISH BUT I DREAM FOR YOU TO FULLY RECOGNIZE YOUR ABILITY TO BRING TO THE ROCK WORLD WHAT IS NEEDED!!! IT STANDS OUT IMHO MUCH MORE THAN BLUES COVERS IN THE BLUES WORLD. IMHO

I WILL NEVER STOP TRYING TO DRIVE THAT POINT INTO YOUR DAYLIGHT SO TO SPEAK. THANKS RICK FOR REMINDING ME I HAVE NOT SAID SO LOUD ENOUGH LATELY.

smile !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol lol lol 
Oops, kicked over a ROCKER!

Well, he does toss us old headbangers a bone now and then. 

Hi Jane.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Blues? Oh Yes! Keep in mind though, Joe has a inner rock demon that needs to be let out to romp and play every once in a while. Covers? Originals? Yes! Yes!! As prolific as Joe has been and will be, I'm sure there will be enough to please everyone.

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Jane H. wrote:

to keep that faction's noise down? HRUMPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

MORE ROCK ORIGINALS JOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Harrummphh too!!!  I'm with you Jane - Keep On Rockin' it Joe!

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

OK!  Revised topic title states stop the Blues COVERS. 

I guess you are not alone.  But I am sure your group is bound to be lonely.  But if you are just asking for MORE originals, well, what do you want?  Everyone who does ANY style or genre of music including Rap (beat poetry) develops from covers.  Even if one abandons them completely, do they really?  Well, those who truly transform come closest to not "covering" the passed...However, those who preserve, even subliminaly ( wink ) never make an escape attempt.  The Old Guards treat them well!

Hand me that dobro, shoulder mounted harp, bass drum pedal and cardboard box...

Keep the Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

23 (edited by cathysiler 2012-05-23 13:32:52)

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

There are threads going back 6 years regarding this topic. I guess old Joe vs new Joe is next smile  So, excuse my repeating myself, but.....

   I became a fan of Joe's because of his guitar playing. He's the Master to me. And, he keeps fine tuning that skill every time I see him, or a new CD is released. Over time his voice has also become fine tuned, and is now another strong suit in his arsenal of skills.

  If Joe never wrote another song, it wouldn't matter to me. There are so many songwriters without the skills to perform the songs themselves. Should those songs be delegated to the gone and forgotten bin? Recording covers of Howlin Wolf will do more to educate many of Joe's young fans about music history, and ,consequently, other great artists from the past, just like Zep did, back in the day.

And, what does it take to write songs? Time. A rare pleasure for Joe. I'm already whining about the infrequency of shows in my area compared to past years. If he took off months to write, that would mean even fewer show opportunities.
 
   Because Joe is only 35, I have no fears he will continue to grow. Maybe the time will come when he wants to cut back on touring and spend time composing, but that's his choice.

As for more rock. Again, personal preferences. I'm not a BCC fan. Never was a hard rocker. But, I support his right to play whatever he wants. I don't have to buy it, or go to those shows. My "bone" is DTTD. Back to blues rock smile Joe knows many of us stand with him in his brave stance regarding the legitimacy of the genre. The Blues Foundation finally got the hint!!  BTW, I talked to Tony Colter, from Bluesville, this weekend about the Blues Awards and Joe's win. He swears there was no bad mouthing or grumbling.  My how times have changed smile  Cathy

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Gotta remember that Joe is helping to keep the Blues alive.  His originals DEAFinitely do that, but by taking old classics and reworking them into new classics he is opening people's eyes and ears to this great musical style and therefore keeping it alive for future generations.  If I didn't like his covers I would agree that he should drop them.  But his covers are phenomenal, and often the 1st time I've ever heard the song.  He is introducing me to these classics (not just reminding me of them).  How can he do better than that?

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

...personally! ...i'd like to hear Joe do a 'cover' of everything thats previously been written! ...when you've got the time Joe!? wink

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Joe usually uses the less well known cover songs, however my all time favoutite cover at present was his Beacon tribute of  Midnight Blues. No covers means none of these. That would be criminal. Also Joe's covers usually bear little to the original with his own spin being put on each song. Long may the mixture be continued.

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Hey, some good points all around. Cathy, I guess it’s an old topic, but it will keep coming around with each release where the majority of the work is Joe’s interpretations of other people’s material. 
It’s actually quite rare to find an international known recording and touring artist in their creative prime recording so many covers, in both the rock and blues sphere. It was often the case that young bands would record a lot of covers on their early album (Led Zep, Rolling Stones etc) and then settle into a writing pattern of their own. Yes there are great song writers without the skills to perform them.  I suspect that one thing Joe has perhaps lacked throughout his career is a regular song writing partner to get the creative juices working.
I’m not so sure about the keeping the blues alive argument though. Isn’t keeping the blues alive more about artists playing and recording blues music relevant in the modern day, rather than artists re-recording songs from an earlier era in a rockier style?  I’ve yet to notice a great deal of interest from Joe’s fans in the works of Howlin Wolf. Robert Johnson et al. Even on this forum.
I must admit that when I first picked up on Joe I bought his Blues Deluxe album as having studied the tracks I recognised many of the song titles or song writers, so even if I discovered upon listening that I didn’t like Joe’s songs, I’d likely enjoy the rest. As it turns out I like it all. However 9 years further from that release, I’d have expected Joe to depart greater from the formula of that album and take a risker approach than he has done since. Time is still on his side.
Anyway I’ve talked enough on this subject too. But I have used the time between posts to do something worthwhile and bought the new album, so expect some comments from me on that thread later! smile

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

One motivation to record original songs for artists is the fact that song writing royalties are sometimes the only way an artist gets paid. Labels have a way of cheating them out of everything else. Joe doesn't have to worry about that. wink His goal is to put out a good record and if he had 12 originals he felt were good enough for the album or even 10 there would be more originals on the album.

I personally like the covers he does and would much rather he put out a good record no matter who writes the songs than a weak album of originals. To me an oxymoron is an original blues song anyway. I'm sure if we wanted to wait a couple of years maybe even three, like most artists do we could have an all original album. I have multiple playlists on Itunes with Joe's originals however. wink

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

bigjeffjones wrote:

No!  Nein!  Nyet!  Non!  Nunca! Ni por pienso!  Gasp * my heart *  Blues is the life blood of American music.  NOW:

If you are saying "Please play more originals and less covers." that is a complimentary opinion.  OK then.  No hay problema.

But:

If you say Joe's foundation (which is Blues, as the genre) is wrong...ainsi, cela signifie la guerre.  lol  tongue  Too many rockers for an old grump.

MuchBlues
DownDirty
BigJeff

hahaha!!!!!!........ Agree Jeff .

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

pexfra wrote:

Joe,
I know you can do an album with all your own songs, where your feeling and soul can completely go out!
Francesco

I also prefer originals, but at the same time, blues-rockers love covering one to make it their own. Especially if it's a reconceptualized cover.

As long as it's good, it can be whatever... but I will say that Grammy people probably prefer originals to covers as well, and that could be something that's keeping him out of the runnings. (I say that not because of the award recognition, but because of the doors a grammy could open).

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

RickB wrote:

Well, he does toss us old headbangers a bone now and then.

Isn't that what BCC is for?

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

DarthElvis wrote:
RickB wrote:

Well, he does toss us old headbangers a bone now and then.

Isn't that what BCC is for?

That's more  than a bone.That's the slab of ribs Fred Flinstone gets at the drive in.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Yeah, I don't think so, pal. Joe's ability to arrange covers is magnificent, to say the least. It would be a shame if he stopped. "Midnight Blues" actually gave me the chills in Hartford last weekend.

Gibson Custom Joe Bonamassa Ltd Signature Les Paul VOS # 31

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Jimmy wrote:

Yeah, I don't think so, pal. Joe's ability to arrange covers is magnificent, to say the least. It would be a shame if he stopped. "Midnight Blues" actually gave me the chills in Hartford last weekend.

Totally agree, heard it live saw it on the Beacon, now my top ranking song and performance. My new desert island disc you can take only one song which would it be ...Midnight blues...oh yes...

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

pexfra wrote:

This is a pure provocation! wink

What I want to say is:

Joe is a very high talent artist , I love is music and I prefer his original song (also blues song...) because there is a lot of Bonamassa artist over blues cover songs!

This is the purpose of my post, I'd like to listen a new full Joe's original album, he play cover in the best way but they are always cover!

Thanks for you answers!

Francesco

You could always go back and listen to SILT...all original material, except for one cover. Personally, I love the mix of new JB songs and extremely well done covers!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Re: Please Joe stop with the blues COVER!!!

Without joe performing or recording covers, we'd be without these gems of Joe's, off the top of my head and in no particular order:
Midnight Blues
Sloe Gin
Reconsider Baby
Blues DeLuxe
You Upset Me
One of These Days
Stop
Just Got Paid
So Many Roads
High Water Everywhere
Had to Cry Today
Wild About You Baby
Etc
Etc

Personally, I'm not ready to give up so many great covers yet to come!

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"