Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

Love the avatar Jane and I'm so glad you enjoyed her. She is no shrinking violet. She plays in your face and can tear it up with the best of them. smile

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

just checked the amazon link and its says January 14 so thats something to look forward to.
i kinda waited too long to post and forget some of what i wanted to say.
again, what a terrific experience. i was so happy the whole time
i also was pretty stoked that i got a good hair flip photo it was kinda dark tho....). i was telling her about it after the show and she knew the moment because she actually had pulled something in her neck doing it so it was the last one for the night lol.

i really liked her rocking style and just a heavy hitting set from the first note till the last.
we saw a few joe shirts and i got to meet one guy afterward with a cup of Joe shirt on. iirc it was Rob H? uggh i forget. he said he was gonna come visit the forum but he didn't. he had driven all the way from Salisbury, MD for the show. we both kind of said the same thing about the same time. or he was saying what i was thinking, she really reminded us of some of the first times seeing joe. not the same mind you but we both got a heck of a thrill from the show. not too many play like that.

I liked her solos etc and while there were some familiar parts in places it was all fresh for me. she puts it together well and smooth

looking forward to her next time here i think she said May is when she was booking stuff in the region? thats a tricky time for me so i hope i can make it. I think she said something about Blues Alley which is in DC and I have seen Joe there. Ram's Head on Stage would be sweet although i don't think they will book for the same tour if already in DC. i dunno but i will be keeping myself posted

Hope you have a great Holiday Jo!!! Thanks for the great show smile smile smile

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

Lookin' forward to her gig at Mol Belgium at februari 2014

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

retlawv wrote:

Lookin' forward to her gig at Mol Belgium at februari 2014

Me too ... I'm looking forward to see Ian Siegal in Mol 15 February 2014 lol
That I have to see Joanne too - I think I can live with that wink

http://www.m-g-b.be/agenda.html

41 (edited by Jane H. 2014-01-11 09:35:51)

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

Well I was able to pre-order Songs From the Road on Amazon US http://www.amazon.com/Songs-From-Road-J … PDKIKX0DER
and it comes with a free mp3 album available right away. Haven't listened to the whole thing yet but sounds great so far!

Joe talks about Jo in one of his pickup radio episodes, not seeing the archive right now will have to look into that, i missed it last week

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

The European tour of Joanne seemed to be cancelled.:(
No gigs in Belgium. I was so happy to see Joanne Finally again.

43 (edited by Kenny 2014-01-20 15:02:57)

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

11 July - The Stables, Milton Keynes (same date as Pearl Jam)
12 July - Holmfirth Blues Festival (same date as Neil Young)

Let's hope there will be more that don't clash smile

44 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-04-04 08:27:47)

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

Handful of fret-flexing UK dates for Joanne this summer:-

12 Jun Southampton; Brook

13 Jun Reading; Sub89 & Bowery District

3 Jul Leamington Spa; The Assembly

5 Jul Nottingham; Rescue Rooms   

6 Jul Newcastle; The Cluny 

11 Jul Milton Keynes; The Stables

12 Jul Holmfirth; Picturedrome

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

45 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-06-05 03:06:22)

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

Big news from Joanne's camp;

Firstly, a big tour in November; supported by Bernie Marsden:-

Nov 01 Sat - Norwich: Epic TV Studios (NR3 1JD) 
Nov 02 Sun  Sheffield: Sheffield City Hall & Memorial Hall (S1 2JA) 
Nov 03 Mon   Leeds: The Wardrobe (LS9 8AH) 
Nov 04 Tue    Manchester: Royal Northern College of Music (RNCM) (M13 9RD) 
Nov 06 Thu    Aberdeen: The Lemon Tree (AB24 5AT) 
Nov 07 Fri    Glasgow: The Arches (G2 8DL) 
Nov 08 Sat    Stockton-on-Tees: ARC (Stockton Arts Centre) (TS18 1LL)
Nov 12 Wed    Exeter: Exeter Corn Exchange (EX1 1BW) 
Nov 13 Thu    Falmouth: Princess Pavilion and Gyllyngdune Gardens (TR11 4AR) 
Nov 14 Fri    Salisbury: Salisbury City Hall (SP2 7TU)
Nov 15 Sat    Birmingham: Birmingham Town Hall (B3 3DQ) 
Nov 18 Tue   Cardiff: The Globe (CF24 3NS) 
Nov 19 Wed    London: O2 Shepherds Bush Empire (W12 8TT) 
Nov 20 Thu    Bury St Edmunds: The Apex (IP33 3FD) 

If that's not enough - Joanne is currently working in Memphis on her new album The Dirty Truth, for her own label; which is available to pre-order; signed, from her website, ahead of September release

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

46 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-07-07 03:37:20)

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

Newcastle 6/7/14

A slightly huskier than usual Joanne Shaw Taylor blazed away at The Cluny last night, ending what looked like a day of festivities down in Ouseburn.

Despite a niggling throat infection, Joanne & the band took to the stage and took the heat from Federal Charm’s set and added her own brand of blues intensity. Great seeing Joanne again, back behind the scratch-plate of a Telecaster and in typical blazing form, she showed it no mercy, especially on the appropriately titled Watch ‘Em Burn. Throat issues probably gave Joanne’s cover of Jealousy some extra “Frankie Miller”, but by that part of the set, Joanne’s fingers were doin’ the talkin’ for her. The voice did just manage to hold out to the set closer, Going Home, but this being The Cluny, an encore was required so Joanne & the band obliged with a powerful instrumental Let It Burn.

May just have been a “Sunday night” thing, but thought numbers were down to what I thought - last time I saw Joanne in Newcastle it was a “rib-rearranger” but this was a comfortable 100 or so; whatever happened to the others, well they missed a powerful and classy set.

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

European Tour dates for Joanne: Summer into Autumn:-

17.07.2014  FRANCE  CAHORS  Blues Festival 2014

19.07.2014 BELGIUM PEER Blues Festival 2014

25.07.2014 SPAIN RIBADEO Jazz & Blues Festival 2014

12.08.2014 FRANCE ORANGE Festival Theatre Antique d'Orange

17.08.2014 BELGIUM WESPELAAR Swing Festival 2014 



01.10.2014  FRA  BARTHEIM La Caf Conc des 3 Frontieres

02.10.2014  FRA  PARIS New Morning

04.10.2014  NL  AMSTERDAM North Sea Club

05.10.2014  BEL  OSTEND Zaal De Zwerver

06.10.2014  BEL  VERVIER Spirit of 66

08.10.2014  NL  LEIDEN Q-Bus

09.10.2014  BEL ANTWERP Roma

10.10.2014  NL  BREDA Mezz

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

BansheeUK wrote:

Newcastle 6/7/14

A slightly huskier than usual Joanne Shaw Taylor blazed away at The Cluny last night, ending what looked like a day of festivities down in Ouseburn.

Despite a niggling throat infection, Joanne & the band took to the stage and took the heat from Federal Charm’s set and added her own brand of blues intensity. Great seeing Joanne again, back behind the scratch-plate of a Telecaster and in typical blazing form, she showed it no mercy, especially on the appropriately titled Watch ‘Em Burn. Throat issues probably gave Joanne’s cover of Jealousy some extra “Frankie Miller”, but by that part of the set, Joanne’s fingers were doin’ the talkin’ for her. The voice did just manage to hold out to the set closer, Going Home, but this being The Cluny, an encore was required so Joanne & the band obliged with a powerful instrumental Let It Burn.

May just have been a “Sunday night” thing, but thought numbers were down to what I thought - last time I saw Joanne in Newcastle it was a “rib-rearranger” but this was a comfortable 100 or so; whatever happened to the others, well they missed a powerful and classy set.

Yeah the size of the crowd surprised me Mike but a stellar show nonetheless, did you forget your baseball cap? The only one I saw was a guy in a Newcastle shirt who looked a bit like Brian Johnson.

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

Kenny wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Newcastle 6/7/14

A slightly huskier than usual Joanne Shaw Taylor blazed away at The Cluny last night, ending what looked like a day of festivities down in Ouseburn.

Despite a niggling throat infection, Joanne & the band took to the stage and took the heat from Federal Charm’s set and added her own brand of blues intensity. Great seeing Joanne again, back behind the scratch-plate of a Telecaster and in typical blazing form, she showed it no mercy, especially on the appropriately titled Watch ‘Em Burn. Throat issues probably gave Joanne’s cover of Jealousy some extra “Frankie Miller”, but by that part of the set, Joanne’s fingers were doin’ the talkin’ for her. The voice did just manage to hold out to the set closer, Going Home, but this being The Cluny, an encore was required so Joanne & the band obliged with a powerful instrumental Let It Burn.

May just have been a “Sunday night” thing, but thought numbers were down to what I thought - last time I saw Joanne in Newcastle it was a “rib-rearranger” but this was a comfortable 100 or so; whatever happened to the others, well they missed a powerful and classy set.

Yeah the size of the crowd surprised me Mike but a stellar show nonetheless, did you forget your baseball cap? The only one I saw was a guy in a Newcastle shirt who looked a bit like Brian Johnson.

Had a rush to get away on Friday night (busy week-end), not only forgot my cap, but my signing pens and JST CD for signing. I was side of room by red doors, denim jacket & t-shirt with legend "Keep Calm & Rock On!" Almost got caught out by early start.

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

And not one youngster in the audience..............

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

Kenny wrote:

And not one youngster in the audience..............

Maybe next time round - Joanne is playing Gateshead Sage (Hall 2) in October as part of Guitar festival.

All those who believe in psychokenesis raise my hand........

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

Lucky me. Going to see her four times in Belgium this year. Peer, Swing Wespelaar, Spirit of 66 Verviers and The Roma at Antwerp

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

Its unfortunate that Joanne's new album was released on the same day as Joe in the UK as it seems to have been bypassed. It is an excellent album produced by Jim Gaines and I would urge forum members to buy a copy. Here is a review :

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/187379/9

Re: Joanne Shaw Taylor

I have my copy, digital not physical unfortunately. 

Don't ya just love a first listen?  You can never do that again!  I went in with no preconceived notions mainly because of very little knowledge of JST.  I have come away from that first listen a fan.  Simple.  Her voice was the first eye opener, that grit, raspy edge she has with a stadium full of emotion behind it.  I was quite anxious to hear "Wrecking Ball", please please get that other version out of my head!  Love'd the funky nature of it, as I see Stereo Board did too.

Really looking forward to seeing her live.

Steve

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio...among others.
Beacon Theater, New York, May 18, 2013/Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea, Feb. 17-21, 2015/3 Kings Tour, Bangor, ME, Aug. 12, 2015