1 (edited by markgtrplyr 2007-04-26 11:54:35)

Topic: Rate-It-All Web Site - www.rateitall.com - Best Guitarist of All TIme

Hi:

I recently posted my first message on the introduction page and a few minutes ago, I completed the form for the Street Team.

I did the latter because after hearing Joe for the first time only in the last week, I am convinced that he is the future of blues guitar. And I don't make that comment lightly. As a 53 year old, I've seen and heard alot of great young blues guitar players - especially since the life / death of SRV, who re-ignited interest in blues / guitar. And while I was and am impressed with many of the players, my interest was essentially limited to listening to their cd's, enjoying their music and attending the occasional show when they came to Toronto.

But Joe is different. I almost feel compelled to let all of my guitar player friends / sports buddies know that there's this incredibly gifted guy who they may not have heard of.

In fact, there's a web site - www. rateitall.com - that allows users to rate everything from best restaurants in NYC, for example, to the best cell phones. It rates everything and allows users to post comments.

Well, I've posted a few comments in one area - best guitarist of all time.

In this section, there's 209 different guitar players listed and each of them has various comments. The most well know, for example, like Eddie Van Halen will have lots of comments. Lesser known players may have only one or two comments.

But I was very surprised to see when I scrolled through the list that Joe Bonamassa's name wasn't even listed.

To me, that was absoultely nuts. Here's a guy who may very well be the BEST player on the planet today and he's not listed amongst the top 210 players..???!!

Give me a break ..!!

Well, he is now..if you go there, you will see my comment about Joe. In fact, I would recommend that everybody go to this site, create an account and then post a positive comment about Joe. There's alot of guitar players and music fans who post on this site / section and like me, many of them may not of heard of Joe. But when they do, they'll be convinced that this guy is the REAL DEAL..!!

Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.

Mark

Re: Rate-It-All Web Site - www.rateitall.com - Best Guitarist of All TIme

Mark,

I posted my rating (5 stars, natch) and pushed Joe up to #4 on the list.

I'm just saying.

Thanks Mark. I posted after Nancy!! We are always happy to "push Joe". Joe is the youngest member of the BOD of the International Blues Foundation with primary interest in the "Blues in the Schools" program. He has been given raves by Blues Review and Guitar Player/ Guitar one mags and has just tied with Buddy Guy as "Best Blues Player" in a reader's poll by Guitar Player mag. You will be amazed at the varied routes forum friends took to come to Joe. Rockers. country, and blues...I come from the blues community and my goal is to open the minds of "purists" to insure the genre continues long after my demise!! I share your excitement. When SRV died I thought there wouldn't be another "god" in my lifetime. It's sooo great to be wrong!!! Keep "Spreading the Word". Actually, you won't be able to stop even if you want to!!  LOL...   Cathy

4 (edited by markgtrplyr 2007-04-28 09:26:54)

Hi ladies:

I just had an opportunity to check out the rateitall site and see that a few of you have now posted some comments.

Cathy, I couldn't agree more with your comment about being soooo wrong about thinking that when SRV died, you wouldn't hear another player with that kind of talent. It is great to be that wrong.

It bothered me when I read a few of the comments on You Tube that Joe was nothing more than a SRV wannabe or clone. I've heard a few of those guys since Stevie's death and Joe is NOT one of them. I have a feeling if this guy decided to just stop playing blues tomorrow and take up jazz or country instead, within days / weeks or months, he would be considered one of the world's best in those genres also.

I also heard a very interesting comment he made (I think he was maybe in his teens when he said it in the video clip) and I haven't heard enough of his playing to be able to say if it's already true or not. He said in a video clip that he would like to reach a point where his style of play was instantly reconizable / identifiable. For example, I can hear about 5 or 6 notes of  guitar and instantly know that it's Carlos Santana or Mark Knopfler or Stevie Ray Vaughan.

My guess is that he's already there..!!

Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.

Mark

markgtrplyr wrote:

Hi:

I recently posted my first message on the introduction page and a few minutes ago, I completed the form for the Street Team.

I did the latter because after hearing Joe for the first time only in the last week, I am convinced that he is the future of blues guitar. And I don't make that comment lightly. As a 53 year old, I've seen and heard alot of great young blues guitar players - especially since the life / death of SRV, who re-ignited interest in blues / guitar. And while I was and am impressed with many of the players, my interest was essentially limited to listening to their cd's, enjoying their music and attending the occasional show when they came to Toronto.

But Joe is different. I almost feel compelled to let all of my guitar player friends / sports buddies know that there's this incredibly gifted guy who they may not have heard of.

In fact, there's a web site - www. rateitall.com - that allows users to rate everything from best restaurants in NYC, for example, to the best cell phones. It rates everything and allows users to post comments.

Well, I've posted a few comments in one area - best guitarist of all time.

In this section, there's 209 different guitar players listed and each of them has various comments. The most well know, for example, like Eddie Van Halen will have lots of comments. Lesser known players may have only one or two comments.

But I was very surprised to see when I scrolled through the list that Joe Bonamassa's name wasn't even listed.

To me, that was absoultely nuts. Here's a guy who may very well be the BEST player on the planet today and he's not listed amongst the top 210 players..???!!

Give me a break ..!!

Well, he is now..if you go there, you will see my comment about Joe. In fact, I would recommend that everybody go to this site, create an account and then post a positive comment about Joe. There's alot of guitar players and music fans who post on this site / section and like me, many of them may not of heard of Joe. But when they do, they'll be convinced that this guy is the REAL DEAL..!!

mark I feel exactly the same way, my same response, emotions when I first heard joe. will go rate on the site. thanks for the info.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

I commented a few days ago...since he seems to have the highest rating on this site this will probably work miracles for Joe.

If anyone posts on that site and says he's an SRV wannabe I will scream mad

Mary

LOL-ler-tastic.

Thanks for the heads up, Mark. I just posted a review. Joe not being on this list until recently tells me there's still lots of work to do spreading the word.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Bill:

"Joe not being on this list until recently tells me there's still lots of work to do spreading the word."

No kidding about that. You know, when I  heard Joe for the first time a week or so ago, I couldn't beleive that a player so good could have been under my radar for so many years. I purchase / read alot of guitar magazines each month so I'm always keeping an eye and ear out for up and coming players. I think I saw his name and / or read an article about him, but for whatever reason, it just didn't register at the time.

Of course, when I accidently saw a link to Joe on You Tube, I think it took me all of about 10 or 12 notes to realize that he was a seriously great player. And I mean "great" as in Clapton great or SRV great - and not a Clapton / Stevie wannabe / clone. I mean a guy with his own "voice" / style that has the same command of the blues as both of these guys.

So when I posted here, I was embarressed to be so knocked out by this guy - but I was surprised to hear that so many others had the same first reaction.

My guess is that everytime he plays a live gig, dozens of new converts are created who will go out and spread the word.

Mark

9 (edited by markgtrplyr 2007-04-28 20:30:48)

its_all_about_apples:

"If anyone posts on that site and says he's an SRV wannabe I will scream"

I guess it kind of goes with the territory when you're in the pulic eye, doesn't it..?? I've seen lots of comments on You Tube where listeners threw out that nonsense.

I've also seen comments on the www.rateitall.com site where people said that BB King was "over rated"..???!!

BB King -overrated ???!!! I see those type of comments  and I realize that Einstein was at least half right when he said that two things were infinite - the universe and stupidity.

I was as big a fan / admirer of SRV as anybody - saw him in concert many, many time - purchased all of his CD's / DVDs / spent countless hours learning his music and wanted nothing more than to see and hear him give us 30 or 40 years of great music.

But it wasn't in the cards.

And maybe Joe was, along with alot of other young players, influenced by Stevie - the same way as SRV was influenced by Albert King, but from what I've heard, Joe's got his own "voice" and style now. He's taken what he's heard over the last 25 years or so and built on it - the same way as Stevie took what he heard and built on it. nd there's kids sitting in bedrooms right now trying to figure out JB licks and they'll bulid on what they got from Joe.
And they'll be referred to as Joe Bonamassa wannbes.

But I guess there are alot of people out there who think that the blues began and ended with Stevie.

Joe's not a wannabe - not even close..!! He's as real and as unique as Stevie or BB or Buddy or any of the greats..!!

Mark

markgtrplyr wrote:

Bill:

"Joe not being on this list until recently tells me there's still lots of work to do spreading the word."

No kidding about that. You know, when I  heard Joe for the first time a week or so ago, I couldn't beleive that a player so good could have been under my radar for so many years. I purchase / read alot of guitar magazines each month so I'm always keeping an eye and ear out for up and coming players. I think I saw his name and / or read an article about him, but for whatever reason, it just didn't register at the time.

Of course, when I accidently saw a link to Joe on You Tube, I think it took me all of about 10 or 12 notes to realize that he was a seriously great player. And I mean "great" as in Clapton great or SRV great - and not a Clapton / Stevie wannabe / clone. I mean a guy with his own "voice" / style that has the same command of the blues as both of these guys.

So when I posted here, I was embarressed to be so knocked out by this guy - but I was surprised to hear that so many others had the same first reaction.

My guess is that everytime he plays a live gig, dozens of new converts are created who will go out and spread the word.

Mark,
I saw Joe for the first time about 2 1/2 years ago and had never heard his music and had no idea who he was (A friend gave me a ticket 2 hours before showtime after someone in his group canceled). I have been shaking my head in disbelief ever since. I will be going to my 16th show on Saturday and am bringing 3 people who have never seen Joe before. I try to bring at least one "bonavirgin" to every show. You're right, if every show converts even a dozen fans, Joe's star will continue to rise as those fans spread the word to others.
Bill

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

11 (edited by markgtrplyr 2007-05-02 09:45:17)

Hi Bill:

Bonavirgin - that's funny..!

His live performances is something that I can't comment on because I've not seen him yet, but from everything I've heard here, it doesn't sound like he exactly "mails it in" - despite doing 250 + shows every year, I suspect he knows that each night / gig represents alot of potential new fans because like me, there are alot of "newbies" who show up because of "word of mouth" advertising - or newbies showing up because they're lucky enough to have friends like you who are doing them a huge favour..!

I'm hoping to see him a couple of times this year - once in Buffalo relatively close to my home in Toronto. And then I have to figure out where he's going to be all year - and then arrange a holiday with my wife and son to that part of the USA and tell my wife "what a coincidence - here we are in Albuquerque on a night when Joe Bonamassa just happens to be playing. Honey, would you mind looking after Brandon tonight while I check out the show".

I understand that Joe is living in Los Angeles now - perhaps he should consider getting "hot and heavy" with Paris Hilton or Britney for a week or two - get his name plastered all over the supermarket tabloids with her and then bask in the publicity and increased record sales that it generates. It would certainly "accelerate" the process where he's building a big fan base show by show and cd by cd now - slowly but surely..!

Mark

12 (edited by G Oldfield 2007-05-02 08:47:46)

Hey Mark, I can't wait for your first post after seeing him "LIVE". Boy are you going to Bonopolise these forums! He He, we'll all be sitting here so smug, saying "I told you so". you are in for a Bonababtism my friend. Anyway, when you guys have finished with him over there in the 'States, can we have him back in the UK please LOL :-)

Geoff

13 (edited by markgtrplyr 2007-05-02 09:57:03)

G Oldfield wrote:

Hey Mark, I can't wait for your first post after seeing him "LIVE". Boy are you going to Bonopolise these forums! He He, we'll all be sitting here so smug, saying "I told you so". you are in for a Bonababtism my friend. Anyway, when you guys have finished with him over there in the 'States, can we have him back in the UK please LOL :-)

Geoff

Good morning Geoff:

I have no dout whatsoever - not a scintella of doubt - that whatever I'm freeling about the guy and his talent now - just from seeing some You Tube videos and hearing a cd, it's going to take a quantum leap when I see him live for the first time.

The other very appealing factor is that the first time won't be in some monster stadium where you're sitting what feels like hundreds of miles away in the nose bleed section.

So, Joe, if you're reading this, do me a big favour - if you can just stay alittle "low key" for another couple of months until I see you, then you're welcome to make the jump to much bigger venues.

Geoff, I take it you've seen him a few times - ??

It's a funny thing about the Brits - they seem to have a real appreciation for the blues and great blues artists. Not that we Americans don't, but I think back to the 60's and it was really the efforts of Eric Clapton and John Mayall and Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck and the Rolling Stones and others that really drew American attention back to guys like Howling Wolf and Muddy Waters and Buddy Guy and made us take notice of these incredible guys who had been in our back yard the entire time, but were only being noticed by a handful of people in specific geographic regions like Mississippi, for example.

Even a guy like Hendrix is a good example - it took time in the UK under the guidance of former Animals bass guitarist, Chas Chandler, to get noticed. And then when the jaws of people like Clapton and Peter Townsend and the other "hipsters" in London in the swinging 60's started to drop as they watched him, then he was ready to return to the USA and be recognized.

Mark