1 (edited by markgtrplyr 2007-04-25 18:34:27)

Topic: Hi - It's Mark Here

This is embarrasing, but I've been playing guitar since the age of 11 (I'm 53 now) and although I've been a lover of the blues for as long as I can remember and a disciple of SRV / Clapton and Hendrix (In that order), I always prided myself on keeping an open eye and ear to new and upcoming players.

And although, I had occasionally seen the name "Joe Bonamassa" from time to time in the numerous guitar mags I purchase or in the blues section of my local record store, I never really paid alot of attention. Certainly I had never heard his music.

The other day, I pursued a link to Youtube and saw a video that somebody had posted and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The last time I recall feeling that way was way back when when I heard Stevie for the first time and I just stopped dead in my tracks.

My God - he can play. And he's not just technically proficient on the guitar (Lord knows there is no shortage of players around who can play 16,768 32nd notes, for example, with 10 fingers and 8 toes in 3 or four seconds), his "feeling" for the blues is very, very apparent in his playing.

I really feel like I've missed out on listening to an incredible player for the last 10 or 15 years, but I'm pleased that I've recently "glommed" onto him.

I've recently purchased all of his available cd's and already I can now hear my wife complaining " do we have to listen to that guitar player again"...:>)

Incredible player who deserves to be mentioned in the same sentance as Stevie, Eric and Jimi. I look forward to participating in dicussions on this board - I just hope that "old dinosaurs" like me won't be treated too badly by the young fans / players..:>)

Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.

Mark

Re: Hi - It's Mark Here

Hi, Mark, and welcome to the board...many of us are at least as old as you (I'm 45) and some older....there are also some young fans but they don't bite (hard).  Like you, I've been a guitar fan and a blues fan for a long time, been trying to play since I was 8...seriously since I was 12, and thought I'd "heard it all" until I heard/saw Joe the first few times.

Defintely recommend that you make a live show as soon as it's convenient, if your wife doesn't mind too much......he's definitely worth a road trip.  The studio stuff is amazing, but the live show is twice as amazing, IMHO.

Please post often and let us know how the journey goes....

Keep on rockin' the blues.....

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

Welcome markgtrplyr!!! We all come to the forum in shock and awe!!! What's important is that you found your way. Like Carl says, get yourself Bona-baptised soon. Check tour dates on this site. Keep posting....Your elder....Cathy

welcome to the board , from one dino to another. I know you will find alot of fellow music/blues/rockers here. take in all things joe and spread the word.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

From one guitarist to another, welcome Mark!

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

Hey Mark! Welcome to the forum from another "old dinosaur" (I'm 50). My wife and two daughters are both Joe fans, but I occasionally hear that same refrain "Didn't you just play this twice yesterday"? You think they'd be used to it by now.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Hallo Mark,

I'm 53 too but I was a bit luckier,  I discovered Joe 4 years ago and enjoy his music since.!!
See him live, he's in my top 3 live shows ever together with Jeff Beck and Frank Zappa.
Have a nice time with Joe and his fans.

Andre Wittebroek.

Hey Mark, welcome aboard to the forum. Make sure you get Joe's DVDs if you haven't already.  You will not be disappointed.

Music is good for the Soul...

9 (edited by Barbara 2007-04-26 08:24:23)

Hi Mark.  Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of all things JOE and his rockin' blues music.  We certainly are a friendly and fun bunch here.  So post away!

Barbara

hi mark guitar player ....Im Geko  wellcome to the masters home...  im 36 get october the  10 th ....... 37  years wat can we say? old or young???...so you see thats a question of view
but i like the olders they can show all the tricks and forgotten stuff .......my dad was good guitar player but he died so erley 54 years old that he cud not teach me and my interessts was more in woman at the time he has tryed  to lehrn it to me. wink ....now im to old and just playing for fun and wish all others ....
like Joe Bonamassa ...to have mutch fun with this lucky job they can do !!!  and allways give the best  for that we like joe i think
ok im talkin too mutch ....lol:))
bye

greetingsfromoutagermany  by geko

11 (edited by markgtrplyr 2007-04-26 10:37:11)

Good morning everybody:

At the outset, thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my introduction.  I appreciated your warm regards and as I previously mentioned, I suspect that I'm going to enjoy posting here from time to time as well as reading the other posts. You all seem like a great bunch.

At the risk of appearing to blaspheme (I'm a Catholic so I'll confess this Sunday), I suspect I know how some of the disciples must of felt when they first heard / seen Jesus. I don't mean to imply that Joe " walks on water, but after hearing and seeing him, I feel like I've seen the future of blues guitar - Joe Bonnamassa. It reminds me of that famous quote that somebody made when they first saw Springsteen back in the early 70's - something to the effect of " I've seen the future of rock and roll and it's name is Springsteen".

I don't know if it's common practice here to throw out abit of who you are - if so, let me leave you with this.

I currently live in Toronto by way of Los Angeles (where I grew up after my family emigrated to the United States at the age of 6 from Scotland). I'm married to an incredible lady -Pamela (who's a few years younger than me) - and believe it or not, I became a father for the first time at age 50 ( you wouldn't believe the number of comments I get when I'm walking my young 18 month-old son, Brandon, in his stroller that resemble " there's a proud grandfather" or "your grandson is a very good looking boy"  :>)

When I was about 10, I saw the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan show and that started my love affair with guitars.  About 43 years later, I now own about 11 or 12  guitars (a couple of Fender Strats, a Gibson ES-335, Fender Telecaster, Gibson Les Paul Custom and a few acoustic / classical / 12 string guitars as well) and my love for the instrument is as strong today as it was when I was a young boy. .

I think it's inevitable that my young son, Brandon, is also going to be a player as well in view of the fact that there seems to be guitars strewn about the house and he's always doodling around with them. And I suspect that his early musical tastes are going to be significantly influenced by the cd's he hears of mine (primarily blues - SRV / Clapton, the Kings (Albert, BB and Freddie) Buddy Guy / etc / etc / etc.)

Throughly my life, I've heard and seen many / most of my favorite blues and rock guitar players and with only two exceptions, they all inspried me to want to go home and practice more and try and get better. However, when I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan at the El Mocambo in Toronto ( I was at the club where they made the DVD that night), I literally wanted to go home and destroy all of my guitars and take up the tuba, for example. He was that good and I just had this "sense" that I could never get anywhere close to this guy in ability.

And when I heard Joe the other night for the first time, it was deju vu all over again as Yogi Berra once said. I again wanted to destroy my guitars ( that would have made my wife very, very happy..:>)

Only 2 players have ever had that effect on me.

I don't know if Joe ever reads the comments on these boards. If he does, I would be very interested in knowing if he felt the guitar came 'easy" for him.

Let me explain what I mean.

When I was growing up in southern California, I played alot of baseball. I always loved the game and it came very easy for me. By the time I was in high school, I was being scouted by professional clubs (the Cincinnati Reds offered me a contract to play in their minor league system). I never found it hard - hitting .300 and fielding and running just came naturally to me.

However, playing the guitar has been a constant uphill struggle for me from day one. I love it and can spend hours playing it when I have the chance, but it NEVER came easy for me. If I'm away from it for a week or so, when I pick it up, it's as if I'm a new player picking it up for the first time. Today, I can play relatively fast (nowhere near as fast or clean as Joe - I can hear a lick and sit down and within a short while I can figure out how it was done - but it's NEVER easy.

But watching Joe play, like all of the greats, he just makes it look effortless. In fact, it just seems to "flow" out of him. When I'm soling over a blues rhythm track, for example, I'm always having to thing - "OK, which lick do I play now". But with Joe, there doesn't seem to be  that thought process going on - it just seems to flow out of him. It's as if he has this big reservoir of  blues licks / styles in him and he can draw on it at will. It's hard to describe.

When I hear comments about Joe playing SRV, for example, note for note when he was just a small boy, I get the feeling that it came easy for him. Of course, he practiced hour after hour each and every day for many many years to get as good as he is, but I'd love to hear how his early years on the guitar went. I'm sure it helped having a father who was involved with guitars and who listened to the "right" music, but ultimately, it came down to Joe - he's the one who had to endure the sore fingers in the beginning / the frustration when you feel you're not progressing or have hit a wall and your forward progress has plateaued and you feel as if you're not going to get better / etc.

Anyways, I'm rambling now and my first post is starting to resemble "War and Peace" in length.

I'd love to hear more about the backgrounds of the regulars here and your stories about your musiccal interests / lives / etc.

Thanks again, everybody, for the warm welcome.

Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.

Mark

Hey, Mark. Welcome to the board.

Check out the thread called "Introductions". A lot of us posted our Bona fides there.

You hit the nail directly on the head in your explanation of how Joe is so different and exciting than any other guitar player (blues or otherwise) I've heard in a while. I can list on one hand the guitar players I rank with him.

Just wait until you see him live. You'll be smitten like the rest of us. I was thinking just today that I want to quit my job and follow Joe around on tour. I don't think I'd ever get bored.

Nancy

I'm just saying.

Welcome to the boards mark, hope you enjoy your stay among lots of great, like minded people big_smile

Matt

Nancy:

As good as he sounds on cd / video, I can only imagine how good he must sound and look live.  I suspect I would just be sitting there with my mouth hanging opening wondering how it's possible for somebody to possess so much talent.

Up to now, the 3 or 4 posts I've written have specifically addressed his unbelievable gift(s). But you know, I have to say that based on the few videos I've seen of him on You Tube, he sounds like a very down-to-earth, man - a very good guy. I also find that aspect of him  very impressive as well. As good as he is on the guitar - and has been for so many years, he could easily have an ego large enough to fill a football stadium. But he doesn't come across that way.

His father must be very, very proud of him. And rightfully so. While we're all praising Joe, his pop deserves a big pat on the back as well.

Mark

Cathysiler:

When I originally posted, I guess I thought I was unique being so "stunned" by Joe's incredible talent, but I guess the "shock and awe" I felt (your words and a very apt description) probably describes what most people feel when they first hear him.

I've checked the tour dates and the closest he get to where I'm currently living is Buffalo so I am going to make a supreme effort to see him there in June or July.

Thanks again for your warm response.

Mark

Mark

Hi Mark

Great to see ya here.
I'm around your age as well.

I've loved guitars from being about 12 ish due to Jimmy Page. Hence I always wanted a Les Paul as this was what I thought the axe of choice was for JP. I didn't realise then that he also played telecaster, dan electro etc.

Anyway, I finally got one as a 50th birthday present............to myself (some would call it middle age crisis !!). I think I would own guitars even if I couldn't play anything.

Being hampered by being left handed, deformed fingers and talentless my playing is somewhat poor. I have recently started taking lessons from a good player and this has opened up a sort of structure to what I can play. This week, I actually played in public for the first time !! Only the local jam session but hey.......live people. And they clapped and cheered !!!:)

The people on here are really great and friendly. We all share the same passion.
My 15 year old guitar mad son, 19 year old not interested in guitars son and wife have all seen Joe live and were well impressed. I saw Joe with the 15 YO last year where we sat 2 feet away from Joe (no stage!!) in an audience of 90 people (mega small hall) I don't think we will ever surpass that experience.

I hope you get to meet Joe at a gig and you will also appreciate what a down to earth friendly nice guy he is as well.

Keep posting smile

17 (edited by markgtrplyr 2007-04-27 10:23:38)

Good morning Ges:

Thanks very much for your "hello".

Congratulations on your 50th birthday present - A Gibson Les Paul. It's a beautiful guitar ( I also have one at home, but they're not cheap either, are they..!!  I laughed when I read your comment about "mid life crisis".

I've ridden and owned motorcycles from the age of 16, but I'm sure alot of people see me on one today and figure " there goes another guy pretending he's 20 again"...:<). I feel like putting a decal or something on it that says "hey, I'm not really having a mid life crisis..!!"

Congratulations on your recent live perfromance too - I think that takes alot of guts. lot of the time when my wife and I have company over, invariably somebody will ask me to play something (I have 10 or 11 guitars kicking around the house including the living room) so it's impossible to miss them - but I have trouble even playing something for people  know - I doubt I could play in front of strangers.

I've never taken lessons, but I think it's a great idea so stay with it. At the very least, a good teacher could probably help you to learn something in about a week, for example, where it might take you a month to try and figure it out on your own. As well, they could teach you something about theory - scales / modes / etc. This is something, despite the fact that I've played for almost 43 years, I know nothing (or very little) about.

Anyways, Ges, stay with it - believe it or not, despite the limitations you referred to, you will see progress (it comes in small incremental ways)..!! And it tends to go in stages - you progress, then you plateau for awhile - then you progress again and then you plateau again (but the second plateau is higher than the first). Eventually you hit a point where you hear a lick - on a cd or in your head and you can sit down and in minutes or so, figure it out (relatively speaking).

Good luck and thanks again.

Mark

Hi Mark!! All the Bona-buddies I've "met" on this forum are friendly, music people!! I realize the forum is huge and you may not be able to read it all. Take time to go to Michael Lynch's youtube entries for Joe in Europe. Read his reviews also. I don't have the cyberskills of most posters so I can't give you a "click and go" address but it is available under "Show reviews and set lists"...Have fun...........Cathy