Re: Forum players under 21

Happy to see the film Rus. Big thanks to Pete!!    Cathy

hi everyone! 19yo guitar player here. Currently trying to get a band together. Jamming with a bass player and drummer in two weeks so I hope that leads to something.

-Jake

Dirtybanjo wrote:

hi everyone! 19yo guitar player here. Currently trying to get a band together. Jamming with a bass player and drummer in two weeks so I hope that leads to something.

Welcome!

Jlowther wrote:
Dirtybanjo wrote:

Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome. I enjoyed your videos.

Question for you guys, do you all have scheduled practice routines or do you just kinda play whatever you're feeling one day? I'd love to hear how you all approach learning

-Jake

Dirtybanjo wrote:
Jlowther wrote:
Dirtybanjo wrote:

Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome. I enjoyed your videos.

Question for you guys, do you all have scheduled practice routines or do you just kinda play whatever you're feeling one day? I'd love to hear how you all approach learning

Hey DirtyBanjo, hope you don't mind me chiming in with a response to this one.

I'm sure it's the case for most players, but I've always just played/studied what excites me at that moment in time. If I'm inspired by Jazz players, I'll improve my theory knowledge, if I'm inspired by virtuoso musicians, I'll concentrate on technique etc. This method probably is a little disjointed and is the reason why I sucked at learning music in school, but I found that I learned SOOO much quicker if it was something I actively sought out and WANTED to learn, which is why now I don't question it and just go at my own pace.

There's enough responsibilities and things to worry about in life as it is, and I don't feel the organic and visceral nature of music should be one of them. But that's just my thoughts, structured practise and study works great for some people and the important distinction is that they enjoy that method greatly, it's just how they're wired.

So no I don't schedule what I'm going to practise at this stage, that might change but I NEVER force anything when it comes to music. Although to hear another perspective that might help you greatly, check out interviews with Steve Vai where he talks about practise, he LOVED the structured methodical practise regime so much that he created detailed practise routines that lasted ALL day, and you can tell how much pleasure he got out of it, as well as great results.

Hope that helps and keep us updated wink

Frazer

Me playing Joe's actual Ibanez Tubescreamer pedal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76jk58_vl2s

Hey Frazer.
  Thanks for taking the time to reply. I totally get where you're coming from.  I kinda do a half and half thing as far as a practice routine. I have a set routine of about an hour a day that I do. It consists of scales, a weekly goal I've set for myself, improv with a backing track, and transcribing a song. I've found that it keeps me focusing and progressing where I would normally just doodle for hours.

The weekly goal and song transcription allow me to pick what I want to learn so I'm able to choose stuff that inspires me and keeps me interested.

Thanks again for replying. If anyone else wants to chime in, I'd love to hear about your different approaches.

-Jake

313 (edited by Jlowther 2012-10-16 20:05:05)

Hey Jake

Thanks for the compliment.

I personally have no form of a practice regiment whatsoever (I probably should!) ... I just kinda have my guitar next to my chair and I just pick it up and play/practice for 40-45 minutes at a time whenever I feel like it, 4 or 5 times a day.

There are some days when I just can't be bothered with it and would rather just have a lazy day (don't we all do that sometimes? wink )

But yeah, my personal opinion is that if you create a practice schedule then you're forcing yourself to play..and that could possibly start to take away from the fun of it.

Dirtybanjo wrote:

Hey Frazer.
  Thanks for taking the time to reply. I totally get where you're coming from.  I kinda do a half and half thing as far as a practice routine. I have a set routine of about an hour a day that I do. It consists of scales, a weekly goal I've set for myself, improv with a backing track, and transcribing a song. I've found that it keeps me focusing and progressing where I would normally just doodle for hours.

The weekly goal and song transcription allow me to pick what I want to learn so I'm able to choose stuff that inspires me and keeps me interested.

Thanks again for replying. If anyone else wants to chime in, I'd love to hear about your different approaches.

If this doesn't motivate you then I don't know what else to say. Not just in guitar playing but in general! -S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atGBKuCJ-Jc

315 (edited by mbcl 2012-10-17 01:20:07)

If you want very good advice for advancing your skills and enjoyment. Get with quality musicians and jam, jam, jam. It is a whole different ball game and your playing will come on leaps and bounds. We often have young players up for a jam in sound check and while they can noodle away quite competently, playing with a band is alien to them. A bit of coaxing and encouragement and they are soon digging it.
Try to find musicians who are a step above your level and go for it. It really is much more fun. As for practice time, do as much as you enjoy, set realistic goals. 
As some of you know I manage a young working band, they live with my family and it amazes me how mich practice they put in. There is no structure or time schedule. Drummer usually up and in studio by 11am for 2 hours, then the band jam/play/work out for 3 to 4 hours (with breaks). Then on the evening they are usually chilling and jamming with acoustics. This is 5 days a week and something spontaneous usually goes down on the W/e.
Why am I saying this? The point is that there is no schedule, they just enjoy it, no pressure to practice. If they were doing this individually then I doubt the same amount if time would be put in.
So if you can get with other musos, don't be shy, just do it.

helrazr84 wrote:
Dirtybanjo wrote:

Hey Frazer.

If this doesn't motivate you then I don't know what else to say. Not just in guitar playing but in general! -S

'The only thing holding you back, is the way you're thinking'

Always refer to that video whenever I lack motivation, fantastic stuff!

Me playing Joe's actual Ibanez Tubescreamer pedal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76jk58_vl2s

helrazr84 wrote:

[quote=Dirtybanjo

Saw that video a few weeks ago. Great stuff. I'm not a huge Vai fan but what he has to say is very enlightening. I've found that a huge number of things that you 'can't' do on guitar are mental so the whole "picture yourself playing it and then play it" thing makes a lot of sense to me.

mbcl wrote:

If you want very good advice for advancing your skills and enjoyment. Get with quality musicians and jam, jam, jam. It is a whole different ball game and your playing will come on leaps and bounds. We often have young players up for a jam in sound check and while they can noodle away quite competently, playing with a band is alien to them. A bit of coaxing and encouragement and they are soon digging it.
Try to find musicians who are a step above your level and go for it. It really is much more fun. As for practice time, do as much as you enjoy, set realistic goals. 
As some of you know I manage a young working band, they live with my family and it amazes me how mich practice they put in. There is no structure or time schedule. Drummer usually up and in studio by 11am for 2 hours, then the band jam/play/work out for 3 to 4 hours (with breaks). Then on the evening they are usually chilling and jamming with acoustics. This is 5 days a week and something spontaneous usually goes down on the W/e.
Why am I saying this? The point is that there is no schedule, they just enjoy it, no pressure to practice. If they were doing this individually then I doubt the same amount if time would be put in.
So if you can get with other musos, don't be shy, just do it.

I totally agree. I'm lucky enough to be at a college with a club dedicated to non music major musicians and we get together and jam regularly. Its great practice because you've got so many people coming from so many different backgrounds. One second we'll be playing Zeppelin and the next I'll have to figure out some Nirvana progression that the bass player started into.

I'd love to find some more experienced and better guitar players to jam with. My dad who i don't see often is an awesome blues guitarist so I try to get together with him when I'm able and absorb as much as possible.

-Jake

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_14899494

Hey Guys, recorded a cover of Sunshine of Your Love, hope you all enjoy it smile

All the best from Aus,

Stefan.

sounds awesome man, whats your recording setup like?

-Jake

Very nice Stefan. Your lead work is not like that of a regular 16 year old guitar player, heck even most people in general can't play that well and with such purpose too.

helrazr84 wrote:

Very nice Stefan. Your lead work is not like that of a regular 16 year old guitar player, heck even most people in general can't play that well and with such purpose too.

Thanks Seth... Although I'm 17 now haha tongue But thank you heaps!

Dirtybanjo wrote:

sounds awesome man, whats your recording setup like?

Just plug straight into a Boss Br-900cd and I just use sound patches I've made on there! Thanks man!

stefanhauk wrote:

Hey Guys, recorded a cover of Sunshine of Your Love, hope you all enjoy it smile

All the best from Aus,

Stefan.

MAN ! I loved that Stefan.  The extended solo was KILLER.  I actually like your playing better than Eric's... Outstanding work.

Now excuse me while I go and try and cop that solo...

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

Devan wrote:
stefanhauk wrote:

All the best from Aus,

Stefan.

MAN ! I loved that Stefan.  The extended solo was KILLER.  I actually like your playing better than Eric's... Outstanding work.

Now excuse me while I go and try and cop that solo...

Thanks Devan!! But there was no way that it was better than EC's!! He is god after all!

Hey guys, just wanted to share my videos with you.. Im 13 years old and I've been playing guitar for one year and a half..
Please, tell me what you think.. Its very important for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUTWG7Mo … ature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tnRfSL7 … ature=plcp