Re: Forum players under 21

helrazr84 wrote:

frazer, that beard is cool enough! I honestly can't find fault in your playing. I wish I had spent more time getting my right hand up to speed.. I have some speed with my left, but the 2 are nowhere near in sync. I'm guilty as charged though, as I don't spend the time practicing anymore like I should. BOTTOM LINE IS THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR HARD WORK. I have to remind myself of that from time to time, especially when it comes to being a better musician.

Its astonishing you've developed such skill in only 6 years! I'm sure you're only going to get better and better. If you look at some videos of Joe from even just 4 or 5 years ago, his playing now is over the top (like thats even possible?). I think its cool you're open to peoples opinions, but lets face it; you're on the right track. I'm definitely looking forward to more videos and would be curious to know what type of exercises or what you did to accomplish basic fast scale runs in the standard "blues block" pattern. From time to time, I'll sit every night and practice (very slowly) going up and down a scale using economy and alternate picking. Its a slow process, just wondering if thats what you did. Thanks, -Seth

And thanks Jonny, glad youliked the videos. -S

Thanks man for your comments thats real good of you, i can assure you ive worked hard at it and i will continue to. Although if you have any advice as far as, what i could do to get my playing to the stage where people go 'He's a fantastic guitarist, i want him on my record' then id be extremely grateful smile (anyones input on that query is welcome, just refer to my previous posts on this thread for links to my videos)

Ohhh man i struggled on my picking speed for sooooo long, took me forever, although i learned a lot along the way.
One thing i noticed when getting your fast picking licks together is that, syncing the hands is the easy part in comparison to getting true alternate picking speed in the picking hand, to get your 2 hands in sync is just a case of slowing down (but not too slow, or you're muscle memory will get too used to playing at slower speeds and trying to speed up will feel uncomfortable) and improvising only using constant alternate picking.
The part i struggled with was getting my right hand to pick fast and loose on its own, because its all about getting a smooth relaxed motion from the wrist joint, and picking lightly to begin with (once you can pick fast easily, picking harder is simple if thats what you prefer).
So yea make sure you can tremolo pick nice and clean and fast without tensing up too much, and then its just a case of syncing your hands together which can actually be fun if you just sit and make up picking licks. But start off with picking sequences on one string at a time, because string crossing is where things can get screwy if you leap before you look.

Which leads me to what you asked about the blues-box patterns. Because theyre mostly two notes per string and all in one position most of the time, which means you'll be doing a LOT of string crossing, and in my opinion the fast patterns Joe and Eric Johnson do are the most difficult because your picking hand is hopping from string to string very quickly. So id work up to those sort of phrases gradually, i still struggle with some of them.

Hopefully those points are helpful however for all i know you can pick as well as Bonamassa himself so sorry if i just mentioned stuff you're already aware of lol.

And i have to say its wonderful to come to a forum where we can help eachother out and ask for tips & advice and get it without judgement and put across in a clear way, so thanks to you and Jonny smile the more good guitarists in the world the better, it'll raise the standards and make us all get better

Me playing Joe's actual Ibanez Tubescreamer pedal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76jk58_vl2s

frazerburns19 wrote:
helrazr84 wrote:

frazer, that beard is cool enough! I honestly can't find fault in your playing. I wish I had spent more time getting my right hand up to speed.. I have some speed with my left, but the 2 are nowhere near in sync. I'm guilty as charged though, as I don't spend the time practicing anymore like I should. BOTTOM LINE IS THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR HARD WORK. I have to remind myself of that from time to time, especially when it comes to being a better musician.

Its astonishing you've developed such skill in only 6 years! I'm sure you're only going to get better and better. If you look at some videos of Joe from even just 4 or 5 years ago, his playing now is over the top (like thats even possible?). I think its cool you're open to peoples opinions, but lets face it; you're on the right track. I'm definitely looking forward to more videos and would be curious to know what type of exercises or what you did to accomplish basic fast scale runs in the standard "blues block" pattern. From time to time, I'll sit every night and practice (very slowly) going up and down a scale using economy and alternate picking. Its a slow process, just wondering if thats what you did. Thanks, -Seth

And thanks Jonny, glad youliked the videos. -S

Thanks man for your comments thats real good of you, i can assure you ive worked hard at it and i will continue to. Although if you have any advice as far as, what i could do to get my playing to the stage where people go 'He's a fantastic guitarist, i want him on my record' then id be extremely grateful smile (anyones input on that query is welcome, just refer to my previous posts on this thread for links to my videos)

Ohhh man i struggled on my picking speed for sooooo long, took me forever, although i learned a lot along the way.
One thing i noticed when getting your fast picking licks together is that, syncing the hands is the easy part in comparison to getting true alternate picking speed in the picking hand, to get your 2 hands in sync is just a case of slowing down (but not too slow, or you're muscle memory will get too used to playing at slower speeds and trying to speed up will feel uncomfortable) and improvising only using constant alternate picking.
The part i struggled with was getting my right hand to pick fast and loose on its own, because its all about getting a smooth relaxed motion from the wrist joint, and picking lightly to begin with (once you can pick fast easily, picking harder is simple if thats what you prefer).
So yea make sure you can tremolo pick nice and clean and fast without tensing up too much, and then its just a case of syncing your hands together which can actually be fun if you just sit and make up picking licks. But start off with picking sequences on one string at a time, because string crossing is where things can get screwy if you leap before you look.

Which leads me to what you asked about the blues-box patterns. Because theyre mostly two notes per string and all in one position most of the time, which means you'll be doing a LOT of string crossing, and in my opinion the fast patterns Joe and Eric Johnson do are the most difficult because your picking hand is hopping from string to string very quickly. So id work up to those sort of phrases gradually, i still struggle with some of them.

Hopefully those points are helpful however for all i know you can pick as well as Bonamassa himself so sorry if i just mentioned stuff you're already aware of lol.

And i have to say its wonderful to come to a forum where we can help eachother out and ask for tips & advice and get it without judgement and put across in a clear way, so thanks to you and Jonny smile the more good guitarists in the world the better, it'll raise the standards and make us all get better

Great advice there Frazer! My advice would be to start with a repeating lick that involves 1 string cross to make things a little easier but also getting used to changing strings...much like I do at 0:44 on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuDL3N89hAA ... that will make it easier to learn the licks like at 0:37... just my opinion!

Cant go wrong with Jonny's advice there helrazr, guy's a master picker.

Btw Jonny thx for the tip on really plucking at the strings with some conviction when i finger pick, it sounds a lot stronger and more confident that way

Me playing Joe's actual Ibanez Tubescreamer pedal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76jk58_vl2s

frazerburns19 wrote:

Cant go wrong with Jonny's advice there helrazr, guy's a master picker.

Btw Jonny thx for the tip on really plucking at the strings with some conviction when i finger pick, it sounds a lot stronger and more confident that way

haha I don't know about that! But I must say I did go through a LOT of struggling ....spending years just trying to work out how to do it without any tension building up - not so much the syncing of the hands but more the actual wrist rotation/placement/anchor points etc. I would often have great days with my picking then I wake up the next morning and my wrist was all tight and I couldn't pick at all..thankfully that doesn't happen anymore!

And you're welcome smile ... it's just the sound I personally prefer and if you prefer it too ... then that's great!

totally, id always feel demoralised when id nailed something the night before, and i wouldnt be able to do it as good first thing the next morning. I then discovered the obvious solution, not sleeping wink....

Haha but while you're here Johnny, got any tips for embellishments around a funk groove, for example here's of me laying down a basic funk groove (trying to)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t0Nbjzdni4

How would you develop/embellish that? or do you think the simpler the better when it comes to funk?

I can never find a compromise haha

168 (edited by Jlowther 2012-06-18 23:24:06)

frazerburns19 wrote:

totally, id always feel demoralised when id nailed something the night before, and i wouldnt be able to do it as good first thing the next morning. I then discovered the obvious solution, not sleeping wink....

Haha but while you're here Johnny, got any tips for embellishments around a funk groove, for example here's of me laying down a basic funk groove (trying to)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t0Nbjzdni4

How would you develop/embellish that? or do you think the simpler the better when it comes to funk?

I can never find a compromise haha

That IS the solution! Honestly haha I haven't gone to bed before 1 for the past 3 years

That sounds great...the only thing I can see that I personally would do differently (And it's not much) ... is with the 7th chord (the first chord you play...but I'm sure you know the names of them by the vast knowledge of theory you seem to have judging by your description on the video) ... add the G note with your little finger on the B string with it ... it'll make it sound a little more interesting..also you could bend the whole chord very slightly much like Joe does on the video below.

This will be of a lot of interest to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlsxBNYQEj4

Yea i considered adding that note (and yeah i fired in the theory in the description to my videos because i recently learned all that theory stuff because i used to be a bit of a noodler) but it would have ended up as the cliche'd 'Hendrix chord' that everyone plays in a 12 bar blues at some point, and cos its funk i thought id trim it so it was more of an 'implied' chord, if that makes any sense? so its like a signpost chord just there to add interest to the rhythm....or something, haha

Holy Jesus he's the same age as me there!!!!! Miles apart from my level haha, although he's been playing since he was 4 apparently, so he still has 10 years on me in that vid (my customary hollow excuses are emerging haha)

How long you been playing Jon?

frazerburns19 wrote:

Yea i considered adding that note (and yeah i fired in the theory in the description to my videos because i recently learned all that theory stuff because i used to be a bit of a noodler) but it would have ended up as the cliche'd 'Hendrix chord' that everyone plays in a 12 bar blues at some point, and cos its funk i thought id trim it so it was more of an 'implied' chord, if that makes any sense? so its like a signpost chord just there to add interest to the rhythm....or something, haha

Holy Jesus he's the same age as me there!!!!! Miles apart from my level haha, although he's been playing since he was 4 apparently, so he still has 10 years on me in that vid (my customary hollow excuses are emerging haha)

How long you been playing Jon?

That's great man just adds to what makes up you as a guitar player! There's no right or wrong in my honest opinion

Yeah he started playing stupidly early so had been playing 16 years at that point (bearing in mind that's without any YouTube or internet to aid in the learning process)

I have been playing a little over 3 years ... started when i was 15!

3 years????? that's intimidating man haha, you're a freak of nature man thats insane.

What dyou think helps you to progress at such a rate?

172 (edited by Jlowther 2012-06-18 23:56:25)

frazerburns19 wrote:

3 years????? that's intimidating man haha, you're a freak of nature man thats insane.

What dyou think helps you to progress at such a rate?

Thanks that means a lot smile

2 words - no sleep!

Haha no I think the main thing is playing what YOU want to play and when you want to play it ... there is time for serious practice but don't force yourself to play it if you don't want to ... if you get frustrated take a few hours out..or a day or 2 and come back to it. Sorry that's the best answer I can think of right now!

Oh...and I also used to get picked on a lot by certain people at school so I really wanted to get good at something! I'm not very big...going through the teenage spot phase right now (which sucks!)...not the best looking guy in the world so they're just some of the reasons that motivate me a lot to practice hard!!

When it comes down to it it's the pure love of guitar that is the biggest incentive to get better!

so the secret is, that i should lose weight? YESSSSSS

haha kidding man, id gladly exchange half a foot in height for a natural talent like yours

Im actually inspired to practice now haha, although ive taken a week off and ill probably not play for another couple of days, im ill right now.

i always like what Steve Vai said when people ask him why he practised like 12 hours a day, something along the lines of...

...'i loved the idea of picking up the instrument and not being able to play something, and then working on it, and then all of a sudden...being able to do it'
from this interview...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Pn4LMJ9ZM

174 (edited by helrazr84 2012-06-19 00:39:37)

Jlowther wrote:

The part i struggled with was getting my right hand to pick fast and loose on its own

Tell me about it! I can't speed pick for crap, but the little I can do, what you said is exactly it -I can't get my right hand to relax.

And Jonny.......for crying out loud that is the best video yet! Whats in the water over there?!? I'm done giving you advice, clearly YOU should be teaching the class from now on! Be great if you could post a video of those runs slowed down, particularly the Eric Johnson'ish one. Honestly man, your playing in that video is spot on JB tone, style, and phrasing. -Seth

175 (edited by Jlowther 2012-06-19 01:20:31)

Don't be silly Frazer! You look fine mate smile hope you get better soon.

Loved that interview..watched it all!

Hi Seth..thanks smile awesome of you to say that. I'm sure I could do that...maybe a video of 5 of my favourite licks or something...If I did do it, then I would assume that the viewer is intermediate or higher so is able to follow along with the pentatonic patterns and shapes that I'm in so I don't have to explain any of that...with your talent that shouldn't be a problem!

With regards to the hand relaxing thing ... this is going to sound weird but imagine the low E string as the top of a cliff and the guitar body being the bottom of it. Take the fleshiest part of your hand (the thick thumb muscle part) and each pick stroke...that part of your hand should look like it's falling off the cliff..towards the body of the guitar. A good way to demonstrate what I mean is put this part of your hand over the side of a desk and feel how much easier it is to move your hand left and right rather than putting it flat on top of the desk and trying it. That in essence is the trick that I am employing when I pick fast...probably doesn't make sense the way I've described it tongue The same thing is being used by Joe (I think)..you see when he moves a quick lick from the high E to the Low E...his hand angles upwards? (Like in this video at 5:54 look at the big screen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foixhsVw4T8 )

Jonny is great!! Wish I could play the stuff he plays!

stefanhauk wrote:

Thanks Stefan...teach me how to sing? big_smile

Jlowther wrote:
stefanhauk wrote:

I'll need someone to teach me first lol!!

stefanhauk wrote:
Jlowther wrote:
stefanhauk wrote:

You're a hell of a lot better than I am...learning to sing will be a big challenge for me

Jlowther wrote:
stefanhauk wrote:
Jlowther wrote:

You're a hell of a lot better than I am...learning to sing will be a big challenge for me

You're a better player!!