Re: Joe Bonamassa Signature ES-335 Registry

Jimmy wrote:

I'm enjoying it a lot. I tweaked the setup a little bit. I slapped a set of Super Slinkys on and raised the string height on low and high e to 2 mm from the 12th fret to string bottom. It's definitely a cool guitar. It's got a lot more honk than my Bonaburst and its even fun to play unplugged late at night.

. How's that neck ....fret board is rosewood or the new material Gibson is using ???

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

Serial #2 found its way to a GC New York.  I just bent the C on the high E while it was hanging on the wall, and you could
hear it sing. This is one lively axe.  I used to play an old 335, and this one feels just as good, but sounds better. The fingerboard is dark and chocolaty, with some nice colors in it.  The top isn't flamed, but the figure compares to what you'd find on a nice old Gibson.  And the finish is typical Gibson drop-dead gorgeous.
   I was disappointed to find it wasn't PLEK'd though.  I strung it up with Thomastik Blues Slider 10's, and there are some nasty buzzes in the bass around the 9th fret.  I have an appointment to have it PLEK'd Tuesday, so this complaint will be short-lived. 
  What really strikes me about this guitar stand out is its versatility.  With the bridge pick-up wide open you'd swear it was a Telecaster.  Darken up the tone and it's an ES-175.  The neck profile is like a fat '59 that's flattened out in the middle, a nice  handfull without being too chunky - think a flat C-shape, but not at all like a U-shape.
   I was in Memphis last November, and personally thanked some of the crew for their '59 reissue Les Paul.  This guitar is just as lovable, and it's half the money.  I'd been looking for a good 335 for months, and after spending way too much time on Ebay I realized that when I found the right one, I'd know it. 
   Funny how these things work out.

39 (edited by jclark42796 2012-05-31 15:20:56)

rockmikerock wrote:

Serial #2 found its way to a GC New York.  I just bent the C on the high E while it was hanging on the wall, and you could
hear it sing. This is one lively axe.  I used to play an old 335, and this one feels just as good, but sounds better. The fingerboard is dark and chocolaty, with some nice colors in it.  The top isn't flamed, but the figure compares to what you'd find on a nice old Gibson.  And the finish is typical Gibson drop-dead gorgeous.
   I was disappointed to find it wasn't PLEK'd though.  I strung it up with Thomastik Blues Slider 10's, and there are some nasty buzzes in the bass around the 9th fret.  I have an appointment to have it PLEK'd Tuesday, so this complaint will be short-lived. 
  What really strikes me about this guitar stand out is its versatility.  With the bridge pick-up wide open you'd swear it was a Telecaster.  Darken up the tone and it's an ES-175.  The neck profile is like a fat '59 that's flattened out in the middle, a nice  handfull without being too chunky - think a flat C-shape, but not at all like a U-shape.
   I was in Memphis last November, and personally thanked some of the crew for their '59 reissue Les Paul.  This guitar is just as lovable, and it's half the money.  I'd been looking for a good 335 for months, and after spending way too much time on Ebay I realized that when I found the right one, I'd know it. 
   Funny how these things work out.

Hey Mike, welcome to the forum and congrats on the new guitar!  Thanks for letting us know your take on this beautiful guitar.  I'll add you to the registry. 

I had never played an ES style guitar nor 57 classic pickups.  Man was I pleasantly surprised.  I agree you get a lot of guitar for the money, definitely a new fan of 335's.

Were you able to determine the guitar wasn't PLEK'd based on the buzz or is there some other way you found out?

Jim

Hi Jim!  This is a good forum, as it's full of happy campers.  I have three guitars that were PLEK'd, and it's one of those cases of "once you've been there you can't go back".  Everybody who's played my '59 reissue marveled at how it won't fret out anywhere
on the neck.  I have a Robot SG with an ebony board, and I have the strings a lot higher than they have to be just so I can use
a slide.  The buzzes are part of it, but the PLEK machine also crowns and polishes the frets, and there are some rough spots on
the 335.
   The nut was expertly done, so perhaps that was done on the PLEK.  I don't pretend to know how Gibson does things, and I'm not one to argue with them.  But I've been in manufacturing all my life, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did some triage at that point, i.e if it doesn't meet a certain standard of playability then it gets the full treatment.  It's a brand new guitar, and I'm sure a lot of the buzzes and rough spots would wear in given a couple weeks.  It doesn't play badly at all, and it does sound great - I'm going to gig with it Friday as is.
   So I'm not complaining so much as I'm spoiled.   There are two PLEK machines within fifty miles of my house, and as I'm lovin' that guitar, I don't mind springing to have it "balanced and blueprinted".  She's really going to be hot stuff!

41 (edited by Jimmy 2012-05-31 22:13:32)

In the liner notes of the DTTD Digibook, Joe remarks that 100 Bona335s will be made. Wildwood only got two, as far as I saw. Mine plays like butter. The 9s play slinkier than the ones on my Bonaburst, for whatever reason. I doubt it's a freshness issue. Regarding the Tele comparison, I concur. She's got some serious honk going on and some astounding versatility, more so than my Bonaburst, although that may be due to a pickup height issue I haven't seemed to be able to tame on my own. I've had it for a couple of weeks and haven't noticed any issues with the frets or nut. I just picked it up off my stand for a closer examination. The frets look and play perfect, and if I had to guess, I would say they were PLEKed since it's not a cheap guitar, although I could be mistaken. As far as I know, there isn't a single Gibson Custom with Granadillo or Baked Maple. This is straight up Rosewood that should only get darker as it ages. Although the Granadillo sounds good, it looks like crap.

Gibson Custom Joe Bonamassa Ltd Signature Les Paul VOS # 31

42 (edited by Jimmy 2012-06-01 12:14:15)

Forgot to respond regarding the neck size. It's practically identical to that of my Bonaburst, meaning it's got a '59 profile. It's extremely comfortable.

Also, if the Bona335 is successful, I would not be surprised if the Gibson CS is commissioned to make some copies of Joe's Firebird 1 as well. Certainly wouldn't mind that as long as it matches the quality of the 335, but is cheaper. Just give me some time to save up some allowance because I'm kinda tapped out. wink

Gibson Custom Joe Bonamassa Ltd Signature Les Paul VOS # 31

I bought #39 at the GC in West Los Angeles a few weeks back.  After reading about them, I just had to check them out (even though I had no business getting another guitar).  The good folks at GC had one that had just arrived, was still in the box, and got it out for me.  Needless to say, after about 10 minutes I realized that I couldn't let anyone else play this guitar and took it home.  It's simply the best 335 I've ever played (including a '58 and a '64 that I've been lucky enough to try out).  It's extremely light and 'vintage' feeling/sounding (has that 'dry' resonant thing that most new guitars don't have).  I'm still blown away each time I play it.  I had an '82 335 awhile back and really liked it, but wished it had a bigger neck (LOVE big necks), and this one just fits great in my hands.  Thanks Gibson and Joe -- a keeper guitar for sure.

Nighttrain wrote:

I bought #39 at the GC in West Los Angeles a few weeks back.  After reading about them, I just had to check them out (even though I had no business getting another guitar).  The good folks at GC had one that had just arrived, was still in the box, and got it out for me.  Needless to say, after about 10 minutes I realized that I couldn't let anyone else play this guitar and took it home.  It's simply the best 335 I've ever played (including a '58 and a '64 that I've been lucky enough to try out).  It's extremely light and 'vintage' feeling/sounding (has that 'dry' resonant thing that most new guitars don't have).  I'm still blown away each time I play it.  I had an '82 335 awhile back and really liked it, but wished it had a bigger neck (LOVE big necks), and this one just fits great in my hands.  Thanks Gibson and Joe -- a keeper guitar for sure.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new guitar!  Thanks for helping us keep the registry complete.  Don't be a stranger smile

Jim

Thanks!  Quick silly question: does the pickguard come with a plastic covering (that gets peeled off)?  My pickguard looks more worn than I thought it would by this point, and I'm wondering if there's plastic on it -- or if the VOS treatment apply's to the pickguard too (never had a VOS guitar).  If there's plastic on it, it's really on tight, as I can't see any corners lifting off or bubbling.

Nighttrain wrote:

Thanks!  Quick silly question: does the pickguard come with a plastic covering (that gets peeled off)?  My pickguard looks more worn than I thought it would by this point, and I'm wondering if there's plastic on it -- or if the VOS treatment apply's to the pickguard too (never had a VOS guitar).  If there's plastic on it, it's really on tight, as I can't see any corners lifting off or bubbling.

Some Vos guitars have their pickguards slightly aged...use a plastic cleaner( like Meguirs ) will take out the scratches...

Nighttrain wrote:

Mine did not come with plastic.  I think it was given the VOS treatment.  Really didn't think it was necessary, but whatever, still love the guitar.

Jim

This just in -
The PLEK tech called to tell me that my guitar is done, and he offered "That's a great guitar!"
Well, we know that.  But he went on to say that "that's the best 335 I've seen in years".  Keep
in mind that this is a very busy shop - Sam Ash in Huntington, New York, and this guy sees
a lot of nice guitars.  Call him if you like, he's Larry in Guitar Repair.  He PLEK'd my Howard
Roberts III last year, so I know he does nice work, and didn't hesitate to bring him the JB 335. 
  For a guy that qualified to say "That guitar has it all" -  we can be confident we've got one of
Gibson's best.

Just tried out and saw #103 at GC.  Apparently the first 100 were made and now a second run of 100 is out as the first run sold out so fast.

Sean

A Gibson Les Paul, Marshall Amplifier, Bottle of Jameson, Pack of Marlboro Lights and A Zippo lighter....  What else is there?

59lespaul wrote:

Just tried out and saw #103 at GC.  Apparently the first 100 were made and now a second run of 100 is out as the first run sold out so fast.

Sean

Yep...I had a feeling they would make more than 100 of them.....

airportdon wrote:

Yep...I had a feeling they would make more than 100 of them.....

If they build it, we will buy...   wink

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

And Gibson still won't list them on their site.

I'm "slightly" ticked that part of the allure was the exclusivity. But OTOH if more people buy them they will realize what a great guitar it is.

Indeed the guitar is very, very good. 

TJNies wrote:

I'm "slightly" ticked that part of the allure was the exclusivity. But OTOH if more people buy them they will realize what a great guitar it is.

A Gibson Les Paul, Marshall Amplifier, Bottle of Jameson, Pack of Marlboro Lights and A Zippo lighter....  What else is there?

TJNies wrote:

Don't feel bad, feel good for the rest of us as we're able to scrounge the cash together to get in on another great guitar smile

JBLP (aged) 293, JBLP STD, JB ES-335, JBLP Studio, JBLP Goldtop Epi, JBLP Inverness Green Epi.