1 (edited by JohnTB 2012-04-10 11:42:01)

Topic: Wah Problem

Guys/Gals a quick question regarding the JB Wah, I love the wah and how it sounds but I seem to have a few problems in my gigging rig, specifically something that I didnt notice much at very low volumes (at home).
The first issue;
I can hear everything regarding the pedal i.e. If i tap the casing or press the off button or move a cable it just seems to be picking up the slightest sound when the wah is on? is this normal? when the wah is disengaged everything is back to normal, I opened it up and tapped the wires / board and they are picking up sounds (similar to when you have a microphonic tube).

The second issue is probably relating to the first, at low gain the wah (when toe down) screeches, similar to feedback but unbearable, I've had to take it off my pedbal board as I cant use my fuzz / OCD with the wah what so ever. It also happens if I crank my amp. Again everything back to normal when the wah is off.

My setup atm
Gigging Rig:
335 > Wah > Fulltone OCD > Marshall 1974x
Strat > Wah > Fulltone 69 > Marshall 1974x
Home / Practise:
335 > Wah > Fulltone 69 > Fender Champ

I've tried the wah after the 69 / OCD and the same problem occurs.

Any help would be beneficial as I ordered it from JB Store so its not as if I can just walk it to nearest guitar shop to swap / try another.

Cheers

JT-B

Re: Wah Problem

What power supply are you using?

Batteries ATM, but I have a boss psa which I've tried with the same result (was the first thing I tried)

Thats the nature of the beast..   The original Halo wah's from the 60's were a bit of a handful but produce a very wide organic sound.   Mine do the same thing but you get a real thrust sound when you really dig in on it..
Joe B

JohnTB wrote:

Guys/Gals a quick question regarding the JB Wah, I love the wah and how it sounds but I seem to have a few problems in my gigging rig, specifically something that I didnt notice much at very low volumes (at home).
The first issue;
I can hear everything regarding the pedal i.e. If i tap the casing or press the off button or move a cable it just seems to be picking up the slightest sound when the wah is on? is this normal? when the wah is disengaged everything is back to normal, I opened it up and tapped the wires / board and they are picking up sounds (similar to when you have a microphonic tube).

The second issue is probably relating to the first, at low gain the wah (when toe down) screeches, similar to feedback but unbearable, I've had to take it off my pedbal board as I cant use my fuzz / OCD with the wah what so ever. It also happens if I crank my amp. Again everything back to normal when the wah is off.

My setup atm
Gigging Rig:
335 > Wah > Fulltone OCD > Marshall 1974x
Strat > Wah > Fulltone 69 > Marshall 1974x
Home / Practise:
335 > Wah > Fulltone 69 > Fender Champ

I've tried the wah after the 69 / OCD and the same problem occurs.

Any help would be beneficial as I ordered it from JB Store so its not as if I can just walk it to nearest guitar shop to swap / try another.

Cheers

JT-B

Weird....same here only the exact opposite.....at low volume, and not the cable issue but getting the casing down close to the switch.

I actually called Dunlop support (since it's a local call for me) and the guy I spoke to mentioned the halo inductor (like Joe mentioned) or a bad switch. They sent me a switch, which I replaced and samething......

I've just learned to work the pedal in such a way that it isn't a issue anymore.

Oh, and one more item. I have a Fulltone '70 that HAS to run before the wah or major screeeeeh. If i put it before the wah it's fine, just not the norm..... but who cares.

LP or SG > Fulltone '70 (when I run it) > wah > Any other fuzz > OD pedal > TC Electronics Alter Ego > Tuner > Orange AD-30 (but I am jones'n for a Marshall 1987 head)

Thanks for the replies smile I will try messing with the placement a bit more, im also wondering whether moving it further away from the amp would help? It's nice to know this is more design than flaw as it sounds really nice and is a big step up from my old cry baby (it actually nails the wah tone I've had in my head)

7 (edited by troyad 2012-05-02 18:17:24)

See? One mans "issue" is another mans "holy **## this is awesome!"

Guitar ---> Java boost ---> wah ---> DC/30 makes for KILLER wah triggered howling!!!! Favorite wah I've ever had exactly because it's so on the hairy edge.

Nice work JB! Now if that damn 335 just gets here.........