2,143 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-11-13 04:20:13)

Re: My Next Concert (s)

Next "planned" outings -

Dec 6th - Frank Carducci & the Fantastic Squad + Russ Tippins Electric Band @ Newcastle; Innisfree Club

Dec 10th - Aynsley Lister @ Newcastle; Cluny

Dec 11th - Benjamin Amos @ Newcastle; Bobiks

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...

In the last 3 weeks I have seen :

Mason Hill, Wishbone Ash, Band of Friends, Peter Frampton/Cardinal Black (superb new band), Robert Plant

3 gigs left this year :

!7 Nov. Evanescence/Within Temptation - Glasgow
20 Nov. Saxon/Diamond Head - Aberdeen
1 Dec. Joanne Shaw Taylor - Newacstle

Well, all of 2022's gigs are done.

2023, all being well, will kick off with a journey to Bannerman's in Edinburgh on Sunday Jan 15th.

The son of one of my oldest friends will be playing with his college band, The Southsiders. They played their debut gig at Whistle Binkies last week to a good reception; a mix of contemporary Blues/rock and original material, so if you're in the area and nowt better to do...

January: -
one probable, off my beaten track, location-wise - Bannerman's in Edinburgh; for The Southsiders. (Student band, cutting their teeth, so if any mates in the area looking for something to do of a Sunday [15th] evening....)

February: -
1st - Del Barber @ Ashington: White House
6th - The Pretenders @ Newcastle; Cluny
8th - Seth Lakeman @ Newcastle; Wylam Brewery
10th - The Wilson Brothers @ Darlington; Forum
17th - Rebecca Downes @ Darlington Forum

February 18 - Alter Bridge w/ Mammoth WVH opening @ Riviera Theatre in Chicago

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Del Barber - White House Social Club; Ashington, Northumbria (UK) 1-2-2023

Always a joy to spend a musical evening up in Ashington, as organised by Mike Slaughter and last night's show was no exception. making his White House debut (as part I believe of 1st UK headlining tour), we had multi-award winning Canadian independent folk, folk rock, Americana, and alternative country singer-songwriter, musician, and record producer (phew!) Del Barber and his band: -
Del Barber: Acoustic Guitar and Vocals.
Ivan Burke: Drums, Vocals.
Ryan Funk:  Bass
Austin Parachoniak:  Mandolin / lead guitar

So, what was the music actually like? Country? Alt-Country? No, doesn't come close, let's call it what the man himself calls it - "Montana Honk-Tonk". Never heard of it? Well, you should have been here as you missed a superb band in full flight giving resonant, "Eddy-like" twanging guitar, haunting, weeping pedal steel and great vocal harmonies.

As for the man and his songs, Del is a great story teller, both in his music and in the introductions, letting slip his penchant for collecting great characters in his travels, and I would guess he's one of those characters himself. This is clear in his songs such as Louise and Ronnie & Rosie. And you can't ovelook the more observational numbers like No Easy Way Out and Everyday Life.

Have to admit, prior to the gigs announcement, I'd not heard of Del & his band, and maybe the country-side may not have been my first choice, but I put my faith in Mike's choice, and once again it paid off. here's hoping to Del & band's quick return.

Still Got You - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuI9LbjR3YU
Nothing Left To Find - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QJlYO9gYuA