Re: Virgil and the Accelerators

Hi Mike,
that gig has been moved to the 16th Nov.
The Marshall gig was truly exceptional, stressful few days before (to say the least) but it came together wonderfully. The boys played the best I have ever seen them. The lighting was incredible, cool venue and the crowd were just perfect and right up for it. Very special night that will stay with me forever.

When will the dvd be available, Martin?

RIP Iron Man

Rock On and keep the Faith

As soon as its ready, guessing around 6 weeks.

112 (edited by Wooders 2012-09-05 09:10:22)

Yes, it was a truly memorable gig and, just like 4th May 2009, the date Friday, 31st August 2012 will go down as one of those occasions when those of us lucky enough to be at this very special show will say “I was there” and have the t-shirt to prove it!

As Martin has said, the lighting was superb and the atmosphere electric, if more than a little sweaty. yikes

I believe someone had a copy of the setlist, although I didn’t see it close to myself. From memory (not too good nowadays) here’s what was played - not in correct order. Please feel free to correct me or add any I’ve forgotten.

Working Man
Refuse To Believe
Fell To The Floor
Racing With Life
Low Down & Dirty
Bad Girl
Silver Giver
What Am I To Do from VATA’s first mini CD And So It Begins

Plus the following which the band really made their own with brilliant arrangements and stunning improvisation.

Don’t Shake My Hand (‘til you know where it’s been) – The Hoax
Scuttle Buttin’ – SRV
Are You Experienced - Jimmi

Virgil controlled the stage and had the audience eating from his hand as he played like a man possessed but Jack and Gabe were also superb and really gave their all, particularly Gabe, who really was knackered by the end of the show. VATA have really moved up a gear from the last time I saw them together on the New Gen Blues Tour and are now up there with the best in the Blues rock scene. I can’t wait for the DVD to relive this gig. smile

Mike, I was sorry to hear you weren’t there and disappointed we didn’t meet. I was looking forward to having a chat as I’m sure we have a lot in common. Maybe some other time. My worst fears were realised at the Parkside Hotel as it was indeed overrun with rugrats. David confirmed this when he tried to call me from the hotel bar and make himself heard above the deafening cacophony.  Although we didn’t make it in time, a quick de-camp to the Premier Inn where Geoff and Sue were staying was undertaken for some sanity.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

Tripsy has the set list Phil. Indeed a memorable evening to be relived time and time again. I will see the boys again supporting Tracer at the end of this month.

Thanks for the review Phil - I'd go home now and kick the dog in disappointment, but she's quicker than me and she's got big sharp teeth.

Really pleased that it went down well for the lads and for the crowd. I understand there were a couple of folks there who also know their way round a guitar in among the throng. Hopefully I'll catch up with VATA on their tour with Wilko at The Sage and get a copy of the DVD there: not the same as actually being there unfortunately, but it's been a hell of a ride watching the lads get this far. Just so long as Virgil doesn't forget our deal - if they headline Newcastle City Hall by 2015, I'm down for seat Stalls K19.

And its the last time I speach-write for Clint Eastwood - the guy just has no comic timing or delivery.

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

115 (edited by Ian916 2012-09-05 11:02:29)

- they had "Backstabber" in there quite early on, - 4th or 5th song in I think, went straight into it from "Bad Girl"??? Also in the encore I am pretty sure there were great segments from "Bullet in the Head" by Rage Against The Machine. - Think the audience need to take the Zack DeLa Rocha part and sing along to that one!! smile To see somebody playing a a Tom Morello part faster is something special, the part in the song where it all goes off, - 4 or 5 mins or so in, that is:
http://youtu.be/fI677jYfKz0 - language warning if you are at work.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Nice one for spotting Rage AM, love that bit.
Setlist as follows (going to be a tough one figurimg out what goes on the CD!)

Working Man
BadGirl/Backstabber
Refuse To Believe
Racing With Life
Scuttle Buttin
What Am I To Do
Don’t Shake My Hand
Low Down & Dirty
Fell To The Floor
Silver Giver

encore
The Storm
Are You Experienced

Well, I am finally home, caught up on my sleep and got my pictures edited.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@N … 0122/show/

Martin was nice enough to tell me about this gig a long time ago, and all the stars aligned and I was able to get there.  It was very much worth the little trip across the pond to be there.

I have seen these guys once, last year, and every time I do I seem to have a magical day.  These kids (yes, they are kids in my book) have something very special about them.  Musically they are incredible, but there is some other force at work that brings them up to another level, and I felt if I wasn't at this gig I would be totally kicking myself later for missing something that later will be talked about by many.  I have seen many amazing musicians in my time, but this gig stands only behind the RAH show of May 4, 2009 and the times I saw SRV.  Their hearts and souls went into this show.  So glad to be part of it.

Part of the fun of the day was all my British Bonabuddies being there.  Maggie was my hostess for the weekend, and chauffeur, and I can never thank her enough.  Mr Meerkat had lots of people to look out that he stayed out of trouble, and the antics at the hotel (by others) will fuel some good stories for quite a while.

Biggest thank you's are for Virgil, Gabe, Jack, Martin, Scott and Hendry.  Getting us into the Marshall factory, and then allowing me to "hang around"  and feel welcome all day before the gig was the thrill of a lifetime.  You better have a gig set up for March!

I will have some more pictures from the Marshall factory and the pre-gig stuff later.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

samjp4 wrote:

Well, I am finally home, caught up on my sleep and got my pictures edited.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@N … 0122/show/

Martin was nice enough to tell me about this gig a long time ago, and all the stars aligned and I was able to get there.  It was very much worth the little trip across the pond to be there.

I have seen these guys once, last year, and every time I do I seem to have a magical day.  These kids (yes, they are kids in my book) have something very special about them.  Musically they are incredible, but there is some other force at work that brings them up to another level, and I felt if I wasn't at this gig I would be totally kicking myself later for missing something that later will be talked about by many.  I have seen many amazing musicians in my time, but this gig stands only behind the RAH show of May 4, 2009 and the times I saw SRV.  Their hearts and souls went into this show.  So glad to be part of it.

Part of the fun of the day was all my British Bonabuddies being there.  Maggie was my hostess for the weekend, and chauffeur, and I can never thank her enough.  Mr Meerkat had lots of people to look out that he stayed out of trouble, and the antics at the hotel (by others) will fuel some good stories for quite a while.

Biggest thank you's are for Virgil, Gabe, Jack, Martin, Scott and Hendry.  Getting us into the Marshall factory, and then allowing me to "hang around"  and feel welcome all day before the gig was the thrill of a lifetime.  You better have a gig set up for March!

I will have some more pictures from the Marshall factory and the pre-gig stuff later.

Sandy

Great pictures, Sandy! You've captured a great night perfectly!

Sandy! what can I say? I've just watched this slideshow open mouthed from the first to the last. So many pics and every one of them fantastic. I don't expect anything else from your camera, however. wink

So glad you were able to come over to this side of the pond again. It certainly was one of those special gigs and we'll have to work on Martin and the boys for next March, after all they'll have a ready made audience. smile

Any Brits reading this will know what I mean when I say that our hotel looked like it had the cast of TOWIE for a wedding party on Friday evening. Not that I've ever watched it on tv.

Thanks for filling in the gaps, Ian and for the full setlist, Martin. I usually jot down the songs as I hear them but I'm pleased to say my memory hasn't completely disappeared - yet.

Mike, I only saw Aynsley on the night and just had time for a quick "Hi Aynsley" as I was being dragged out of the door by Mrs W. yikes What's the significance of seat K19 and what's wrong with front and centre? Clearly, Mr Eastwood made you an offer you couldn't refuse. lol

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56

mbcl wrote:

Nice one for spotting Rage AM, love that bit.
Setlist as follows (going to be a tough one figurimg out what goes on the CD!)

It better be all of it, sir!

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.

Wooders wrote:

Mike, I only saw Aynsley on the night and just had time for a quick "Hi Aynsley" as I was being dragged out of the door by Mrs W. yikes What's the significance of seat K19 and what's wrong with front and centre? Clearly, Mr Eastwood made you an offer you couldn't refuse. lol
Phil

Hey Phil - Well apart from Aynsley, young Andrew Pipe was there and I would urge you to get along to a Mentulls gig anytime there's one in your area. I'm sure Martin & the VATA guys would endorse me on that. K19 is my "sweet spot" sound wise for N/castle City Hall. You'd have to know the stage height as well as the fall of the seating to realise that sitting front and centre will result in a severe crick in the neck and the only view would be looking up Virgil's trouser leg; striking lad as he is - not the done thing.....

Some great pics there from Sandy and sounds like the set was something they've been kicking into shape since they played Mainsforth up these parts. And before anyone comments - No, I didn't kick the dog last night.

Mike

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Pictures from the Marshall factory tour - boy, I had a fun day!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@N … 445248824/

Sandy

Fantastic pictures Sandy. It was lovely to have met you and the other bonabuddies.  Many thanks to Martin for the tickets, the guys were awsome. What a fantastic night. Wooders review was spot on.  later on I spotted a face in the crowd who I recognised. It was Dave Kilminster who has just finished touring with Roger Waters The Wall tour.  It was nice to have a chat to him.  I`d like to thank Geoff and sue for the invite for a drink later, but unfortunately we couldn`t make it this time, hopefully next time.  The DVD can`t come soon enough.  Once again a big congratulations to Martin and the lads on a brilliant gig, can`t wait for the next one.
Paul and Mandy

What a nice humble guy Dave is, we met him breifly at Cambridge Rock Festival and he is good mates with our engineer Steve Rispin. We had alanic attack as we needed a Klon pedal which are very rare. Steve rang dave and he had one brand new in the box, never used! Talking himto him you would never guess he has played to audeinces of 70,000 - 100,000 people!

Mandy and triggermala wrote:

Fantastic pictures Sandy. It was lovely to have met you and the other bonabuddies.  Many thanks to Martin for the tickets, the guys were awsome. What a fantastic night. Wooders review was spot on.  later on I spotted a face in the crowd who I recognised. It was Dave Kilminster who has just finished touring with Roger Waters The Wall tour.  It was nice to have a chat to him.  I`d like to thank Geoff and sue for the invite for a drink later, but unfortunately we couldn`t make it this time, hopefully next time.  The DVD can`t come soon enough.  Once again a big congratulations to Martin and the lads on a brilliant gig, can`t wait for the next one.
Paul and Mandy

Pictures from the pre-gig.  These folks worked very, very hard all day long.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@N … 469998400/

Thanks again for letting me share in this.

Sandy

What another great  set of pictures from a most memorable night