Re: The Mentulls

Cheers Keith; Fingers crossed, they're not on British Gas....  big_smile

Don't forget your fan heater for the dressing rooms.......brrrr

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

The Mentulls are very pleased to announce that Wayne Proctor will be producing the next studio album which will be recorded at Superfly Studios during the first part of 2014. Wayne has produced many fine albums by artists including King King Feat-Alan Nimmo, Oli Brown, Aynsley Lister, Ian Parker and Brothers Groove. The band are looking forward to working with Wayne and Superfly Studios on this project.

Yeah, Wayne's pretty much the "go to" guy in the UK and as fine a pair of hands on the control desk as behind the drum kit. Great news guys.

BansheeUK wrote:

Yeah, Wayne's pretty much the "go to" guy in the UK and as fine a pair of hands on the control desk as behind the drum kit. Great news guys.

Thanks Mike, looking forward to working with Wayne. The great thing about it is Wayne actually approached the band !!

The Mentulls @ ferryhill Mainsforth - 9/11/13

Reflections - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8DMm5jUb3o

Be Home Tonight - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxVrHfhEet8

Time Flies / Blues In C   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA5WvarhaEA

Motorway of Maddness -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HAncZcoXtw

Very good young band supported Walter T last week check them out

For their last scheduled gig of 2013, The Mentulls opened for Ryan McGarvey at Hartlepool on Saturday night and delivered probably their strongest performance to date in front of well over 200 people. Whatever it was that inspired them, they delivered a slightly extended set of their own brand of proggy-blues as if their hair was on fire (and Jamie has a lot of hair!). Roughly the same set as they delivered for Mainsforth the previous week, but their cover of Red House was back in and they extended their Philip Sayce tribute to give Nick Colman chance to deliver a stunning drum solo, complete with some cheeky stick-juggling. Goes without saying, won't belong before the lads are book into this room as headliners on this showing.

Next month, Andrew Pipe is doing a rare, solo, acoustic performance in Hartlepool, supporting Stevie Nimmo before the band take a Christmas break and then it’s off to the studio in early 2014 with Wayne Proctor.

The Mentulls' full set from Owton Manor, Hartlepool, 16/11/13:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NDlOrxC … 3i6JeNQvng

99 (edited by The Mentulls 2014-03-07 18:29:05)

Confirmed dates for The Mentulls 2014..........
Saturday 22nd February - The Broadstairs Blues Bash, Kent
Friday 21st March - The Tropic, Ruislip (with Pat McManus)
Saturday 19th April - The Box, Crewe (Monster Rock Heaven Festival)
Tuesday 22nd April - Saltburn Theatre
Friday 9th May - The Blues Café Bar, Harrogate
Saturday 24th May - Saltburn Blues Club
Sunday 1st June - Barnsley Rock & Blues Club
Saturday 12th July - Bluesfest 2014, Gravesend
Friday 26th September - The Blues Café Bar, Harrogate
Friday 3rd October - Back Stage @ The Green Hotel, Kinross
Saturday 11th October - The Stables, Milton Keynes (Hall 2)
Thursday 23rd October - The Roadhouse, Birmingham
Friday 24th October - The Tropic, Ruislip (with Larry Miller)
Saturday 1st November - Guisborough R & B Club

Confirmed dates for Andrew Pipe acoustic solo............
Saturday 7th June - Guisborough R & B Club (with The Nimmo Brothers)
Friday 13th June - The Forum, Darlington (with Chantel McGregor Band)

More dates still to be confirmed.

100 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-12-16 10:02:25)

Saturday (Dec 14th) saw Andrew (Pipe) do his acoustic/solo debut, over at the almost appropriately named Nursery Inn, Hartlepool. Have to say, he carried it off with aplomb: not just my opinion, as well as the 50+ other people squeezed into the room, Andrew also got a big endorsement from the night's headliner, none other than Stevie Nimmo.

Andrew started off his set with a favourite cover that's a staple of The Mentulls' set, Redhouse, which immediately got the audience going and got rid of any jitters Andrew may have had, especially with the 1st microphone failing as he was getting set up. That's not to say he wasn't looking over his shoulder wondering why Jamie or Nick weren't coming in....With that under his belt, Andrew was off and running; while he may not have the strongest or gravelliest of voices, he was clear and confident and quite melodic, especially when he plundered his favourite's (Wishbone Ash) back catalogue and did a stunning Valediction.  Not that the set was all covers, a couple of Mentulls' favourites were worked over; Motorway Of Madness, Time Flies and I Got The Blues. Andrew was well in his stride, only 2 instrumentals, including a very beautiful, pastoral Reflections On Water, and a cheeky round of "spot the riff".

I've long championed Andrew as "one to watch", and this was the "cherry on the top" to any show I've seen him do. I'll tip my hat to anyone that can walk out on a stage with just an acoustic, no pedals, no amps and carry off even a 30 minute set of this quality, no matter what size the audience; but to do it while your age still ends in "teen": nothing short of amazin'. certainly confirms Andrew as one of the "young lions", yet more than just "another shredder"; but hopefully he'll be keeping these sets as a rare treat; his palce is very much between Jamie & Nick, giving it large with The Mentulls.

REFLECTIONS OF THE YEAR 2013

The end of another great year for The Mentulls almost beckons.  A wonderful start to the year when the band were honoured to support Wishbone Ash in The Netherlands followed very shortly after by a first visit to The Skegness Rock & Blues Festival – one of the very best of festivals.

Since then gigs from Scotland down to London and many in between to new venues and old favourites. Guitarist Andrew Pipe was nominated for a 2nd year in the “Young Artist” category in The British Blues Awards which was a big highlight and huge recognition for both Andrew and the band.

2014 brings hope, some new and fresh ideas and maybe one or two surprises. It also brings a new studio album, pre-production will begin shortly and we are delighted to have Wayne Proctor on board as producer and recording will start at Superfly Studios in the spring and release is due in the autumn of 2014.

At the time of writing a dozen or so dates have been confirmed for 2014 and many more are being worked on. Andrew Pipe will also be performing some solo acoustic shows.

Andrew, Jamie and Nick would like to thank all fans and promoters who have supported them and look forward to seeing you all in 2014. Best wishes for Christmas and a Happy New Year. 
KP

102 (edited by BansheeUK 2013-12-19 04:37:30)

The Mentulls wrote:

REFLECTIONS OF THE YEAR 2013

The end of another great year for The Mentulls almost beckons.  A wonderful start to the year when the band were honoured to support Wishbone Ash in The Netherlands followed very shortly after by a first visit to The Skegness Rock & Blues Festival – one of the very best of festivals.

Since then gigs from Scotland down to London and many in between to new venues and old favourites. Guitarist Andrew Pipe was nominated for a 2nd year in the “Young Artist” category in The British Blues Awards which was a big highlight and huge recognition for both Andrew and the band.

2014 brings hope, some new and fresh ideas and maybe one or two surprises. It also brings a new studio album, pre-production will begin shortly and we are delighted to have Wayne Proctor on board as producer and recording will start at Superfly Studios in the spring and release is due in the autumn of 2014.

At the time of writing a dozen or so dates have been confirmed for 2014 and many more are being worked on. Andrew Pipe will also be performing some solo acoustic shows.

Andrew, Jamie and Nick would like to thank all fans and promoters who have supported them and look forward to seeing you all in 2014. Best wishes for Christmas and a Happy New Year. 
KP

2013 has certainly been a very good year for the lads - managed to catch them 6 times (including Andrew's solo); opening for the likes of Aynsley Lister, Nimmo Brothers and Ryan McGarvey; each time playing uncompromisingly full-on, as well as a couple of headline sets where they rightly "owned" the stage. Not only that, but I've enjoyed their company and the occasional "mineral water" as part of the audience at a number of gigs and I'm knocked out by their love and appreciation of music as much as their ability to get on stage and play on top of their utter professionalism. Like VATA and other contemporaries, they're proof that real music will not only live on, but thrive.

I like to write/blog a few notes when I've enjoyed a good gig, not in any professional capacity,  but these lads make the job easy as they're such a cracking band; I just hope I've done something to encourage a few more folk each time to come along and see the band play.

So, to all at Pipe Towers and Colman Mansion; have a great Christmas and a very Happy New Year. All the best for 2014 and recording the new album with Wayne Proctor - you're in great hands there. And here's hoping that Time Flies till we meet up on the road again.
Mike (the Blog)

Thanks for introducing these guys, so far I've only caught them on youTube but will definitely try to see them live when I am in the UK at some point next year.

Just a quick update on the new studio album. Almost all songs have been written and first demos done and pre-production started a few days ago. First days in the studios is set for April 2014. All recording will be done at Superfly Studios in Nottinghamshire, UK and Wayne Proctor will be our producer. Wayne, as well as drumming for King King and The Nimmo Brothers, recently produced records for the likes of Oli Brown, King King, Brothers Groove and Aynsley Lister to name a few. Below is a recent video of "Be Home Tonight" which will feature on the new album.
KP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4eGdccwQCE

Please check out the brand new website for blues rock band THE MENTULLS...

http://www.thementulls.com/

this give all details on gigs, some new photos and latest news about the new studio album which is been produced by Wayne Proctor.

KP

Wayne Proctor himself is a great drummer and percussionist. He played in former times with my friend Ian Parker and Steve Amadeo on the bass.

107 (edited by BansheeUK 2014-02-25 04:25:01)

annaforjoe wrote:

Wayne Proctor himself is a great drummer and percussionist. He played in former times with my friend Ian Parker and Steve Amadeo on the bass.

He's also backed Oli Brown, sat in with King King and Nimmo Brothers as well as produced albums for Jon Amor and Sean Webster. Not to mention, Aynsley Lister. He's the drumming equivalent of Joe B.

Hey KP - like the new look website; see you guys Saturday?

BansheeUK wrote:
annaforjoe wrote:

He's also backed Oli Brown, sat in with King King and Nimmo Brothers as well as produced albums for Jon Amor and Sean Webster. He's the drumming equivalent of Joe B.

Hey KP - like the new look website; see you guys Saturday?

New website - all done by AP, yes we shall be at the Aynsley gig !!