Re: Ron Sayer Jr.

Finally we got to see Ron Sayer up in these parts, in his own right; first time since backing Oli a couple of years ago. been looking forward to this since Eldo put the shout out about Ron and the band last year.

On a triple bill, with Mitch Laddie and Russ Tippins,  we change from the fiery prodigy that is Mitch to true craftsman; Ron’s delivery of bespoke material is seemless as it is riviting. From the crisp I Ain’t Leaving and (almost contradictory) Don’t Make Me Stay to the latin tinged funk of Manana to the rockin’ out of Piece Of Me and Right All the Time, Ron showed not only is he a songsmith of some class, but more than able to lay it down with the best of them. Then, he brings out his secret weapon; Charlotte Joyce. Don’t think this lady just provides backing vocals and keyboard colour; this lady has a voice, a Beth Hart of a voice, and knows how to use it. The net effect is like finding your Aston Martin has been turbo charged. And that’s not all, the “engine” for the night’s show was provided by the ubiquitous Wayne Proctor on drums, and a very familiar face, not dissimilar to Ron’s on bass. Backing like that, has to be testament to the man up front.

As Martin said the other day, it's getting overlooked that Ron co-wrote a good chunk of Oli Brown's last album and it would have been interesting to hear Ron's take on the work, but lifting the majority of the set from the Better Side album, its proof enough of the quality of his writing for this lad: dovetails nicely between Aynsley Lister and Matt Schofield.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Thought Ron's been a bit quiet of late, so did some checkin' up. He only gone a recorded a new album - Hard To Please, with his good lady Charlotte and the redoutable Mr Proctor (on drum stool, not producer's chair).

Should be worth checking out, class act is Ron.

Well, my copy of Hard To Please came through yesterday, and its had some playing. What can I say? A superbly crafted album as you'd expect, Wayne on drums has certainly got his "groove" on, Ron's playing is lithe and dextrous and Charlotte's voice soars as her keys fill what little gap there is.

It's too easy a shot to think "oh, married couple - doing a Tedeschi/Trucks" but this is miles away; the key here is the restraint in the performances, giving it a characteristically "British" feel. Charlotte has a powerful, soul voice, comparable to many other female singers we talk about, but on Hard To Please, she keeps it just off the edge of over-cooking as some many are prone to do. Likewise, Ron's vocals are never straining to keep up with Charlotte's, but a perfect response and again, his playing balances authority with understatement. Combine this "cool" with their undoubted song writing abilities, and you've got a slow burning gem of an album.

Just heard word that Ron & Charlotte's gig at Sedgefield Blues Club in March has Sold Out. Still worth getting in touch in case there are any returns.

Looking forward to a great night.

Has it really been almost 2 years since I last caught Ron & Charlotte playing up in these parts? Can’t believe it, but still, thanks to the team at Sedgefield R’n'B Club, that was remedied and acquaintences renewed. Ron’s got his original band back together, Will Overton on bass and Paul Wooden on drums, and what a solid, tight unit they make behind the keys and superb voice of “the missus” Charlotte and, of course, “professor” Ron’s fantastic guitar. Rea;;y good set, mixing the old and the new, cover and original, boogie and ballad: I’m Tore Down, Don’t Make Me Stay, Manana, Right All The Time, My Mother-in-law, Mr Weatherman, Piece of me, Hard To Please and to close, a “Fire” medely that really was, incendiary.
They do a really, really good job in striking a balance within the band, Ron has a good voice and a fluid, ranging guitar technique, but then Charlotte has a tremendous voice and good on keys, either could carry the band, but it’s the blending of the two, where the magic happens. A truely rare treat that deserves to come round a bit more often.

Saw the band last Saturday in Norfolk for gig for the recording of a live album for release sometime this year. Excellent show. Here's some video I captured of the first and last numbers

https://youtu.be/pcZsQ0txEiM

https://youtu.be/j4It6EmP4_c

I love this band.

Just a quick heads up to forum members in Scotland and Northern England that Ron Sayer & Charlotte Joyce will be playing Edinburgh Blues Club a week today - Saturday 21 May.
For more details see http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk/event/ron-sayer/

"The recently formed Edinburgh Blues Club has identified an appetite for the personal communication between musicians and audience that the blues long ago perfected." The Herald Newspaper (Scotland)
http://www.edinburgh-blues.uk

Recently got hold of their live album, At The Little Theatre; really good snap-shot of Ron & Charlotte giving it their all. Ron's Blues guitar & Charlotte's Soulful voice are a mix not to be missed. Sure of a great night.

Really enjoying the latest album from Ron & Charlotte - Makes You Stronger.

Great use of horns & backing vocals for a different texture, but strangely, no duets, Charlotte handling all the lead vocals while Ron handles guitar, bass & production.

Couple of tasters:-
Backbone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY8_Q6hXqSI
Hard Love - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vce37y1Gyc