Topic: Rod Stewart

Well,  I am on the countdown now of seeing one of Joe's favorite singers next weekend.  Rod Stewart is coming to Des Moines....saw him a couple of years back in Chicago (8th row) and what a show it was.  This time 10th row in the round.....what a non-stop energy driven show he puts on...when he goes into all the old favorites there's not a "bee-hind" in any seat.

Joe, if he kicks out autographed soccer balls again, I will try and get one for you.  I came within inches last time, but my 5' 2 " didn't win over the 6' person in front of me.....this time I will be prepared for battle!

Will give concert review next week.     pattyluvsjoe

P.S.  Ladies, if you haven't seen him...well, I would highly recommend it....he's to die for in a tux..... wink

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Re: Rod Stewart

Love Rod's old stuff but he lost me when he did those Standards. Why do musicians always mellow when they get older? I grew up with Heavy Metal and I still like it and I'm almost 42.

Rod still performs the old stuff and for someone in their 60's I think he's earned the right to perform whatever else he wants to.  He knows what everyone is there for and he delivers it.  I would imagine  after that many years it is nice to have something new to perform or a lil' different twist on things.  All I know is that the last time I definitely got my money's worth and a whole lot more.  He sweats up a storm and declares, "It's bloody hot in here!"  Clothes come off, ladies "woo-hoo" and he grins. Other than a clothes change and spikin' up his hair  (yes, it falls flat cause he sweats alot) the man performs non-stop and is very crowd friendly.  If you love Rod Stewart it's a wonderful-fulfilling evening of entertainment.  The mans voice is undeniably awesome cool

It's kind of like when I saw Elton John, he said, "Okay let's get this new stuff out of the way, so I can get down to what you all really came to see me for."
                                             pattyluvsjoe's opinion

Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

4 (edited by Rocket 2007-04-11 14:33:49)

pattyluvsjoe wrote:

Rod still performs the old stuff and for someone in their 60's I think he's earned the right to perform whatever else he wants to.  He knows what everyone is there for and he delivers it.  I would imagine  after that many years it is nice to have something new to perform or a lil' different twist on things.  All I know is that the last time I definitely got my money's worth and a whole lot more.  He sweats up a storm and declares, "It's bloody hot in here!"  Clothes come off, ladies "woo-hoo" and he grins. Other than a clothes change and spikin' up his hair  (yes, it falls flat cause he sweats alot) the man performs non-stop and is very crowd friendly.  If you love Rod Stewart it's a wonderful-fulfilling evening of entertainment.  The mans voice is undeniably awesome cool

It's kind of like when I saw Elton John, he said, "Okay let's get this new stuff out of the way, so I can get down to what you all really came to see me for."
                                             pattyluvsjoe's opinion

I agree with most everything Patty, and like Joe's opinion Rod is an all-time favorite singer, but I am with David... I just don't like Rod Stewart's versions of some songs these last couple years.. I mean to go back to Truth & The Faces and even up until...leave the standards for the morning shower (or nighty-night lullabies) Rod! Eeessshh.  Don't hate anyone due to disagreements, but man I wince at some and even cringe at others-cringe!

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I have a BIG SMILE on my face after last nights show.  I had the time of my life and Rod was fun in the round...even got to give him flowers....okay Rocket you can cringe now  lol

Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Hi David,
I think some of the guys you're thinking of have almost 20 years on you. As the age creeps up, 20 years is almost exponential. I think these guys get bored and simply want to try something different to make it feel refreshing and like they are still being creative, instead of the same old, same old.  I think lyrics take on a new meaning as an aging rocker may be more reflective and has buried a few good friends, so heavy guitar playing isn't the primary focus anymore. They are reinventing themselves, just like business' do to survive changes. Not everyone is like Johnny Winter, have to admire his spunk!

David wrote:

Love Rod's old stuff but he lost me when he did those Standards. Why do musicians always mellow when they get older? I grew up with Heavy Metal and I still like it and I'm almost 42.

StringsforaCURE~Helping cancer patients one STRING at a time.
http://stringsforacure.com/

7 (edited by Rocket 2007-04-16 13:31:23)

pattyluvsjoe wrote:

I have a BIG SMILE on my face after last nights show.  I had the time of my life and Rod was fun in the round...even got to give him flowers....okay Rocket you can cringe now  lol

Only if you tell me he tried a Creedence cover-bleaahhh....Blasphemic Bulemia Onset by trying to stomach it!
Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket
P.S.-well ok actually I'm officially jealous because way back when I wanted to take the wife to see him, and she "hated" him....after we broke up she got to see him and the tickets were free to many Whale Vaginians (he couldn't sell out the San Diego Sports Arena 1984 so they gave boodles away, but not fo me-no kid, no house, no tickets to my hero whom she suddenly liked????).

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

I saw Rod Stewart and Faces in 1974 at Hec Edmundson Pavilion, on the University of Washington Campus in Seattle. Foghat was the opening act. Rod was quite good but Foghat stole the show. RIP Lonesome Dave...

Rocket wrote:
pattyluvsjoe wrote:

Only if you tell me he tried a Creedence cover-bleaahhh....Blasphemic Bulemia Onset by trying to stomach it!
Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket
P.S.-well ok actually I'm officially jealous because way back when I wanted to take the wife to see him, and she "hated" him....after we broke up she got to see him and the tickets were free to many Whale Vaginians (he couldn't sell out the San Diego Sports Arena 1984 so they gave boodles away, but not fo me-no kid, no house, no tickets to my hero whom she suddenly liked????).

Okay Rocket, I'll get it out of the way...yes, he did do" Have You Ever Seen The Rain"...and it was okay by me...I saw John Fogerty last year in Chicago and of course that was like one of the ULTIMATE concerts in my book and naturally John does it THE BEST HANDSDOWN....but I don't let that get in the way of having good ole' fashion FUN.  I really enjoyed hearing him play guitar to the first song he ever recorded in 1969 Dirty Old Town.  I didn't even know he could play guitar.  And you'll probably cringe again cuz he did, Cat Stevens "Father and Son," but I got to tell you his voice did VERY WELL on it.  Of course, he did "Rhythm of My Heart", "Hot Legs" (some down & dirty)
"Forever Young", "Maggie May" (exquisite FUN to me),"You're In My Heart,""Have I Told You Lately,""Da Ya Think I'm Sexy" (answer is YES),"Infatuation," "You're In My Heart," "Tonight's the Night," "Every Picture Tells A Story," "Broken Arrow," "Reason To Believe" (one of my most favorite), "First Cut Is the Deepest," "Some Guys Have All the Luck," "Having a Party."  on and on and on........... I was grabbing ladies left & right in my row down to the catwalk with me....he of course, was very playful & kind with the crowd....I don't think I saw any ladies not smiling wink  Yes, the hair and clothes were very NICE wink  The Rodettes did "Piece of My Heart," it was excellent.
And of course, his band is FANTASTIC!!  Katja on the smokin' sax, J'Anna Jocoby (violin,mandolin) always smiling, guitarists & drummers all very,very good!!!!!  So I could go on and on Rocket, cuz' the whole thing did ROCK!!!  The Iowa Scottish Bagpipers played before thru out the crowd...that was a real treat...stage was done in Scottish tartan, etc.....
At intermission, he took the camera with him below the stage so we could see what it looked like underneath.....there was quite an array of scantily clad people having sword fights, ironing,etc...his dressing room....it was hilarious, actually.  Yes, Rocket I did have a wonderful time and soared to heaven for a second when he took my flowers, grinned, bowed to me, I told him I loved him, he carried my flowers back to the top of the stage waving them to the crowd........for pattyluvsjoe IT WAS PRICELESS smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile

Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184